XP for players IMPLEMENTED

If you have any new upgrade idea, than put it here.
It can be one of these: unit, structure, technology, effect.
Best if you can give: unit/structure icon, and unit/structure properties
And a description how you imagined the new upgrade.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: XP for players

Post by Stratego (dev) »

(a few post up i have updated the maps and calculated XP for all games AOF/AOW)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

If we want levels to provide some minor effects
no it will not give any rewards directly, maybe some "surprise pack on each level" but that is for later.
yes, i thought non-linear one until we reach the 20 000 (as i wrote in my first few post
If level is gonna affecting game more
no it sill not affect the gameplay itself.
Xp should never be lost, only increased
exactly, it will not decrease ever.
Will "losing" include "restart the map" ?
i thougt resigning or losing by trigger or losing last unit, but yes maybe restarting also can be the case, not sure it can be a leak for XP hacks or not.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I think levels can give some revards like gems, free upgrade (from upgrade tree) or free spell item (usable spells in spell enabled games)

Maybe some sort of box that will randomly give some reward (or nothing at all) for each earned level?

I do not like idea of this xp system to be added without actual useful function behind it. And ofc it must not affect gameplay itself (extra free spells or free upgrades are fine, they will not affect gameplay much).
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I do not like idea of this xp system to be added without actual useful function behind it. And ofc it must not affect gameplay itself (extra free spells or free upgrades are fine, they will not affect gameplay much).
why? isnt it good to know who is on what level?
i think we should show the XP for the player itself, and also beside player names in multiplayer games.

later we could have player filters so you acn set what XP of the player can join your game eg. betw. ranges.
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:45 pm
Yes! Any true player who sees they have a Lv 2 opponent would (should) switch from competitive mode to tutorial mode. There has been a massive upsurge of new players recently - this is fantastic (even in my 6 months here I have noticed increased activity ) - we need to help those new folks stick with this game so they become serious players...a total pasting in their early games wont help that.

Also gives something to work towards...would be a good feeling to hit max xp, like a rite of passage. What level is between noob and vet? I dunno...but achieving max XP would be a good indicator that your are now officially a veteran :)
I also play an RTS game called Life 8-)
And I also like drinking beer! :D
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:45 pm
i think we should show the XP for the player itself, and also beside player names in multiplayer games.

later we could have player filters so you acn set what XP of the player can join your game eg. betw. ranges.
I just already know how to abuse this system (at least 3 ways) and get easily tons of free xp. Just will require some time. Lots of time.
Thus i can't say that this will personally for me show power/real experience of each player.

There must be some additional meaning for this as well as some protective measures to minimize abuse of xp gain ways.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

dont be so negative :)
abuse: please tell me some so maybe we can block those with some logic.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

1. Gaining experience per each lost campain map. Just skip turns and do not loose as much as possible than loose the map and restart it. Especially this is possible on maps with lots of triggers. (When you gain exp per each turn).

2. Gaining experience per each arranged multiplayer game (for example with friend, just skip turns for like 200-400 times... or even with your second phone and second account).

3. If you will use way of gaining exp per earned points it also can be used, especially in multiplayer games. Best result when combined with 1 or 2.

Also again i do not see any reason for this exp rating. We already have rating in which there are shown total amount of completed maps and win/total multiplayer matches for each player from top 100.

If xp leveling on the other hand will give some revards (similar to daily gifts) that will be different and will become extremly useful.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

1. ok so lost maps should not give gems?
2. multiplayer: yes, i think if someone makes that, that means so much patience that deserves some XP :) we can not avoid this easily. also in other games i play there is no protection againt at all. He is playing the game after all... (can be tru to point 1 too) maybe checking how many unit moves he does in a turn, if more than 5 than counts as a valid turn? - getting too complex...
3. earned points is not planned to give XP currently.

usefulness: this is a stat of the player we introduce, later we can use it for any other thing (eg. for gifts on each level) - in this topic we dont need to plan all future option (based on this xp level)
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

To be honest I agree with @makazuwr32 on that topic. I wouldn't really bother leveling up without any kind of benefit.

I would rather give +1 max population per level or maybe some extras on the start (like one more tc and with highet level additional units).

These options might be available only in upgrades mode or another option.
Age of Fantasy design leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i have not planned to make "advantage" in game based on XP.
that would be too "play-to-win" lol :)
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:11 am 1. ok so lost maps should not give gems?
2. multiplayer: yes, i think if someone makes that, that means so much patience that deserves some XP :) we can not avoid this easily. also in other games i play there is no protection againt at all. He is playing the game after all... (can be tru to point 1 too) maybe checking how many unit moves he does in a turn, if more than 5 than counts as a valid turn? - getting too complex...

usefulness: this is a stat of the player we introduce, later we can use it for any other thing (eg. for gifts on each level) - in this topic we dont need to plan all future option (based on this xp level)
1. The system can be abused with the multiplier wins just as easily. Just two accounts needed.
2. And we are getting drawn to mine formula closely - let's consider few more options and it will become more and more valiable.
Yet I have no idea hot to decrease it's complexity - it's already pretty straight.
3. And it makes perfect sense to NOT calculate based on them - points do not really reflect experience. Especially in single player where in some maps player starts with huge amount already.

@Alexander82 I would leave population for in game things - techs, buildings only. Otherwise it can break the balance.
@makazuwr32 , Alexander82 - I think that exp not giving ANYTHING will make sure it won't be abused. Heck, people will not even bother making any real effort towards earning it. And ... I think that's exactly the point. It would exist only to indicate roughly what to expect from the player in multi - aka if should be perceived as noob or the other extreme - a master.
Age of Strategy design leader
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:11 am 1. ok so lost maps should not give gems?

1. lost maps must not give any xp.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

does anyone know a strategy game where there is XP of player and levels?
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Xp of players? And levels?
Personally i do not know any (but i am not that much into new strategy games, i prefer old ones and among them i do not know any such games).

Alas i know several non-strategy games with similar system.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok, what games you know that are not strategy ones?
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

makazuwr32 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:20 pm 1. lost maps must not give any xp.
Are you thinking the person who lost didn't learn anything?
Even if they loose to the veterans?

I have played few online games and the worst is loosing without any benefit against the people one didn't stand a chance.
Pardon. Even worse is this people arguing against making any benefit or acknowledgement towards the newbies. Of course always using top veterans rules for gaming, totally skipping the fact, that new players do not have resources, contacts and knowledge to do anything according to those rules. I am especially amazed by hipocrisy of them. They were newbies once after all and these kind of situation really resembles often loathed - real life.

Please don't be this kind of a guy.

Stratego, from my knowledge most online games nowadays use some sort of point system with very complex and hidden formula. The argument is, that any grouping, e.g. by levels would not be precize enough, unless more detailed info can be accessed somewhere else.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

those are ranking systems, that are different than XP and levels.
like on Vooble we had that ranking while i played AOK online.

we can talk about that approach too but i feel that is different - eg:in ranking your rank can drop if you lose games against newbies.

However what you wrote about losing rang me a bell: what about giving more XP for playing with players with higher level and giving less if playing against lower level?
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

Hey guys just thought of something how abought lets use exp as a diff use and name
I was thinking of some kind of strategy manual and heres how it works
So yeah you gain xp then once youve reached lvl1(you start at lvl0) you unlock a manual about a unit and some maps about some tactics you can do with the unit and some maps that will show how to counter them and these maps will give 1gem

eg.

I level up to lvl1 then Ive unlocked Worker manual there will be a big manual book which have pages that are locked and on the page thats where you can find the units tutorial maps and when the player is playing he can upen up the menu tab/pause tab whatever you call it there will be a button for manual so that the player can read some strategy and use of the unit and some tactics that the player can copy and so that players can see that there are other metas in game and not just siege spam and we should also have something like game of the year/month/week at the first page of the manual which shows the best game played wwhich will be manually picked and also historical units like spartan hoplite will have some kind of historical information and also if possible give some Wikipedia stuff just like AoW and since you dont really gain that much if you cheat cause what youreally cheating is cheats to learn strategy and play some maps
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

at first i have not planned to unlock anything with it - but we can talk about it later.

i have found a reference:
https://starcraft2coop.com/resources/levels
http://www.shokzguide.com/guides/starcr ... ce-points/

i am not even sure what is "coop" version a new game or what - but i see there
1. only wins count
2. and difficulties that we dont really have in our campiagns - multiplayer games.

same game different info
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1IPyghuJm0

it says it got a very etailed XP system, similr to Endru's suggestion.
so everything gets XP, winning, losing, all buildings, all units all kills maybe(?). so a detailed one.
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

Coop should really be "co-op" short for co-operative. ie playing with someone else, but for co-operative, with means alongside, not against (even though it can be against other co-operative teams).

I also think XP should have no rewards as you say. I did post up a suggestion a few weeks ago of a potential way to do a better leaderboard , but that seemed to get no interest...odd, I actually thought it was a really good idea. But anyway, something like what you're suggesting and something like what I suggested would keep ranking and experience very separate.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Endru1241 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:43 am
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:20 pm 1. lost maps must not give any xp.
Are you thinking the person who lost didn't learn anything?
Even if they loose to the veterans?

I have played few online games and the worst is loosing without any benefit against the people one didn't stand a chance.
Pardon. Even worse is this people arguing against making any benefit or acknowledgement towards the newbies. Of course always using top veterans rules for gaming, totally skipping the fact, that new players do not have resources, contacts and knowledge to do anything according to those rules. I am especially amazed by hipocrisy of them. They were newbies once after all and these kind of situation really resembles often loathed - real life.

Please don't be this kind of a guy.

Stratego, from my knowledge most online games nowadays use some sort of point system with very complex and hidden formula. The argument is, that any grouping, e.g. by levels would not be precize enough, unless more detailed info can be accessed somewhere else.
I meant campain maps, not multiplayer.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

I misunderstood. Sorry.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

@phoenixffyrnig @makazuwr32 @SirPat @Alexander82 @tamtam12345 @Puss_in_Boots @DreJaDe @godOfKings @SirLuciano
So actually anyone even remotely interested in the topic -
please have a look at already working in game version viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8912
phoenixffyrnig

Post by phoenixffyrnig »

I don't actually have DEV version atm, but I would like to. What's the procedure for getting on board?

(This is the topic I mentioned @QuadrupoleStrat)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

good!

email me so i can send dev verison to you.
Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

Nice. Test my maps pheonix and give me feedback.
If there is a not working trigger or something.
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

@Endru1241 I think we should make clear what will xp grant to players. I can ask the players who cooperate with me to test it.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

xp grants nothing as i plan. maybe some cosmetics unlocking later but that is all.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I would like a game mode where xp can actually be taken into account (e.g. one extra starting tc every 10 levels or a bonus to its factory counts dependant from level.

Return to “New upgrades (unit, structure, technology, effect)”