Neutrals attacking certain sides depending on the power.

Anchar

Post by Anchar »

While playing the game, I noticed that usually when you or the enemy capture more cities, then playing further is pointless for the loser. Also, many maps are rather unbalanced due to the terrain. And I always look at the strengths by the numbers at the bottom left of the map, I don't know what those numbers are, but usually the one who is stronger has more of them.

Previously, when creating maps, I created borders from mountains, and in the passages I put neutral strong units from the map editor, which for some reason did not move and prevented the stronger and more aggressive side from passing.

I would like to ask if it is possible to make a neutral faction specifically to maintain balance, which would include, as fighters, not giving both sides of the passage,and making an army that will attack only the strongest side with the most points and because of this each time attacking different sides?

Also in their arsenal there could be special altars that would give positive auras to players with fewer points and negative ones to players with more.
Savra

Re: Neutrals attacking certain sides depending on the power.

Post by Savra »

I think neutrals have the same targeting as normal ai, but I don't think they can target the strongest or at least it would be difficult to code.

They should be targeting at random if hostile.

Btw, for the unit you said wasn't moving, I know rogue phantoms and gnolls work, as well as the divotes, and warfell civilians and the neutral animals.
Anchar

Post by Anchar »

By non-moving fighters from the map editor, I meant all sorts of single ones, and also the meaning that I wanted to convey is that I want there to be units in the game that, when creating maps, would not allow the parties to quickly capture the map, since many the networks, according to my observations, choose the wrong tactics and instead of sending their scouts to capture they sit with their 4 cities and spam builders to immediately start building a mega building, while a more skillful enemy captures 70% of the map and wins as a result.

I find that most players enjoy building an empire out of walls and towers (as I do), but more often than not their building designs are under threat.

In order to give the parties time to build an interesting defense and save them from enemy raids, it is necessary to make something like a fence when creating maps, but since most types of troops walk on water and over mountains,it's useless. Immobile and powerful fighters should act as a buffer zone AI for the destruction of which it would be necessary to make a powerful army in order to eventually start a battle with the enemy. And I thought that instead of using curved units from the map editor, it would be possible to create a special neutral faction for these purposes (or at least a few fighters and towers) which, with all their type and name, would hint about their purpose (let's say, calling them the Order of Balance).

I knew in advance that the AI attacking only the strong side was dead in advance, but in my opinion it would be very interesting to have something like this in the game and would smooth out the imbalance of races, and would also give at least some hope to the losing player that he has a chance to rehabilitate himself, therefore I still hopefully wrote this crazy idea.
Savra

Post by Savra »

Well the gnolls are the closest we have to such things, they even come with towers, I still have a lot more units to make for them but since they are neutral they aren't on my top priority list.

More neutrals like them would be interesting though.

As for any production for neutral ai groups stratego doesn't want that in as the maps would take longer, perhaps if maps were large enough though then such a thing might be worth looking in to, but for now we should avoid such things as if you play a 50x50 map with 6 teams, someone is bound to be overwhelmed by just the neutrals. (I've had it happen before)
Anchar

Post by Anchar »

they will not be able to suppress the player if they do not have movement and will simply stand in certain narrow passages, which I wrote about.
Savra

Post by Savra »

All gnolls have movement, also some other neutrals.

Which ones are you using that don't have movement?
Anchar

Post by Anchar »

I used before (a very long time) the dragon that you suggested for the zombie dragon, also the lord of ales. So that you understand this is not a complaint, I am writing because I want to add such non-moving and strong neutrals to the game, so that when creating maps they serve as obstacles in narrow passages between mountains. The gnolls are fine.
Savra

Post by Savra »

From what I know, all forum heroes won't move on their own if neutral, I know the rogue phantom titan can move on both mountains and water so it might be ideal for holding the enemy for a while.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I think that the idea of some kind of "guardian creep" is not bad.

In some maps they might act as some sort of obstacle that can prevent early rushes until you are strong enough to dispose of them.
Age of Fantasy design leader

Return to “Archived - Other”