ai melee camera

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
anvil

ai melee camera

Post by anvil »

first let me say this is a great game! congrats and thanks!

I hope this is the correct place to put this, and I have not seen any other requests.

I would like the camera to track on the current AI melee.

at the present the camera remains stationary. not only do we miss out on the cool action, but its hard to keep up with what's happening especially on large scenarios.

it doesn't have to be zoomed in on each combat, although that would be cool, but perhaps the map could be divided into quadrants (or more or a larger area centered on the melee?) and the camera could shift to whichever quadrant the combat was in.

I would like this even if the AI combat happened at a slower pace.

there's lots to see and take in, and its a beautiful game!

thanks for considering this.
anvil

Re: ai melee camera

Post by anvil »

just in case I was confusing, I thought I'd ask again.

when we gain a tech, the camera goes to the building it was created in.

can you do this during the AI turn for combat?

especially with a big game, its tedious to search the whole board to see what the AI has done, and what casualties have happened, then to figure out my responses and my next turn.

thanks in advance.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

hello!
good idea but i have a problem: the AI works all around the map randomly, wouldnt it be bothering having the camera view jumpig all around the map crazily? :)
and also you can click on units while the AI is running, you loose this feature if the map goes all around.
anvil

Post by anvil »

I had thought of the jerkiness of the camera. that's why I thought perhaps dividing the map into quarters or so. this would be a "compromise" solution.

perhaps 5 camera positions. 4quarters and an equal sized quarter focused around the center. this would minimize camera movement and allow a closer view of the action.

right now I must zoom all the way out to get a feel of how the combat is going. or be lucky and choose one zoomed in area and miss all the rest.

to try to anticipate where combat will be is a matter of luck, so clicking on figures is not very reliable.

would it be possible to select an area (as above) then all combats in that area are done randomly by the AI? or even have the areas chosen by the AI would work.

the few times I've been in the right place at the right time to see, for instance, during "opportunity fire" seeing a critical bad guy change alliance is awesome!

its a shame to miss these cool types of details.

thanks for your great game, no matter what!
balint

Post by balint »

Well, my opinion: It is good. before ending your turn have look a the battle situations, so you can know where will be fights. In larger battles it is good to zoom out a bit and move the camera while the Ai moves. A

Anyway, if you played enough you can know for 70-80% (at least 50%-60%) which will be the Ais next move.
This is Hungary and winter is coming.

Return to “Gameplay & UI”