Rifleman thoughts

Jasondunkel

Rifleman thoughts

Post by Jasondunkel »

I suggest the riflemen

as they are now give a range of 2 and first strike.
As a reminder, the first strike effect only applies to a direct attack when using abilities such as hand grenade.

but similar to the other types of rifles, we can then use the different rifles and their abilities for different nations
Dahdee

Re: Rifleman thoughts

Post by Dahdee »

If we can make it work in a way that Stratego agrees with, I like the idea.

I kind of feel like most of the issues we have, the disagreements about range, it seems to be an issue with scaling of the maps. I mean, like how we have a medium map that's the entire world, or a very large map that's one country.

The way the game is set up, I can agree with what Stratego and DreJaDe said in the other thread about the ranges not making sense.

That being said, if we can make it work, it would add a lot of versatility to the rifleman units.
Dahdee

Post by Dahdee »

But, it seems like as things stand now, you would have to change the ranges of MANY units to make it work.

And on some maps it may mean a rifleman can shoot across an entire country :lol:
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Jasondunkel wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:40 pm I suggest the riflemen

As a reminder, the first strike effect only applies to a direct attack when using abilities such as hand grenades.

but similar to the other types of rifles, we can then use the different rifles and their abilities for different nations
Receiving a counterattack when using grenades is impossible.
@Stratego (dev)
Or is there a change on that?
Jasondunkel

Post by Jasondunkel »

Jasondunkel wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:40 pm I suggest the riflemen

As a reminder, the first strike effect only applies to a direct attack when using abilities such as hand grenade.

oops there is a small but important error in the statement

it should be called :

As it is now, we're giving the gunmen a range of 2 and first strike.
As a reminder, the first strike effect only applies to a direct attack, "not" when using abilities like hand grenades.

@drejade yes currently it is not possible to work with a first strike on skills.

but it is probably a question of coding that probably needs.
we have the same problem with the aircraft bombers and fighter-bombers, which stratego wants to tackle when the time comes
Jasondunkel

Post by Jasondunkel »

Dahdee wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:45 pm If we can make it work in a way that Stratego agrees with, I like the idea.

I kind of feel like most of the issues we have, the disagreements about range, it seems to be an issue with scaling of the maps. I mean, like how we have a medium map that's the entire world, or a very large map that's one country.

The way the game is set up, I can agree with what Stratego and DreJaDe said in the other thread about the ranges not making sense.

That being said, if we can make it work, it would add a lot of versatility to the rifleman units.
we will have the range problem again and again. that there is no real solution here.

after all, we can fly around the world in some places with planes, or with other maps we can shoot from england to norway, for example.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Jasondunkel wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:00 pm As it is now, we're giving the gunmen a range of 2 and first strike.
First strike - Maybe
2 range - No

Simply put, no one soldier shoots that far in ww2.
No one even does it in the only possible effective way which is through a volley.

Even snipers can't shoot that far during ww2 and hit anything.

First strike on the other hand would be nice, albeit not that nice.

MG can suffer on this which is not nice.

I really think that a better idea here is to just increase their bonus.

A damage that would equate to 20 would be nice instead of just 8-10. Can be lowered or increased by nation of course.
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

I just want to butt in and stress this fact.

This is a turn based square tiled game wherein objects can be attacked from a maximum of all four sides from an enemy unit.

Range is a significant game mechanic. It defines how far a unit can attack. It empowers the player to bypass the grid square nature of the tile system and stack more attacks on an enemy object.

This mechanic defines combat currently. Removing mortar range is in my opinion an unnecessary prioritisation of realism over the player experience.

Giving rifleman 2 range might also be far fetched, but it would give much more versatility to an all rounder unit like the rifleman (someone nerf the grenade damages a bit tho) which is good characterisation.

The last thing rifleman needs in my opinion is first strike. No thank you.
TntAttack

Post by TntAttack »

Increasing rifleman damage bonus might work too. It's a comparative safer option, that doesn't break anything we currently have.

I suggest Drejade idea as a last resort if we can't make up our minds.

(I don't know how to really describe it but I think players should be able to "felt" initiatively the attributes of the infantry units just from the different fields they represent. Or in other words, give these infantry classes some characterisation)
Jasondunkel

Post by Jasondunkel »

yes, i know that the actual range was mastered at best by snipers.

in the German wiki is at least one confirmed launch of about 1.1-1.2 kilometers

but thanks for the thoughts here, tnt has summed it up well to give the all round units a little more versatility.

as mentioned above, distance realism can only be used to a limited extent here.

a first strike would only come about with the current firepower. and if i remember correctly from before, the first strike is only used once in a round. So if more units attack, the second and third units won't be affected anymore, but I have to admit I'm not sure anymore

so if we increase the bonuses like dre suggests and the damage would then be 20 or more it shouldn't be a first strike either

As I said first strike only under the power of now

Return to “Balancing discussions”