AI is still a mess

Klon

AI is still a mess

Post by Klon »

So this is an issue that's been bugging me for a while now. I don't even know if this is the right board to post this on because it isn't simply one issue but multiple.
Now what do I mean when I say that "AI is still a mess"?
Well, let's start with some positives. The AI produces enough units of (nearly) all kinds. I'll get to why it's just nearly later on. The AI produces planes, infantry and tanks in sufficient amounts as they do with their corresponding factories. It builds trenches, few but not too few and builds bunkers. Things I'm all very happy with.

Now to the negatives

The AI basically doesn't build any Naval bases. At least not if there's no 100% need to, even if it would give them an advantage. What I mean by this is that if the AI has ANY landbridge that allows it to travel to the enemy it will basically forget Ships exist in 90% of cases, even if it's literally just one block connecting the landmasses. This is really annoying on maps like Archipelago, where everyone will nearly always spawn onto the big connected landmasses. Even if there are many towns on the islands, as long as there is no enemy on them the AI will usually neglect them. This just makes the game way too easy if I decide to build ships so I usually don't to keep some sense of challenge, and I only play against hard-AI.

Bridges
The AI will occasionally build functional and advantageous bridges (which positively surprised me) but at the same time will build single bride tiles all along the coast not connecting to anything. Don't really know what's up with that but it seems like a waste of engineers and riflemans time.

Fixed artillery/AA
The AI builds a few of them. Note: A few. In my last game, also on 50×50 Archipelago, I've encountered 2 fixed artillery and 3 fixed AA in 60 turns of playing. I'd probably built the same amount probably by turn 10, which gave me a huge advantage as I could just get very close to the front with my engineers, build a couple fixed artillery/AA and annihilate the AI without fear of facing these myself. This enables me to basically rush the AI with my bombers and fighters and bomb them to shreds, the only obstacle being the fighter planes which I already mentioned are being produced in sufficient amounts. But this simply doesn't hold up to fixed AA. My ground units are also able to just rush through as there barely ever is any AI fixed artillery. I think this could be a simple fix by for example doubling the probability that the AI will build fixed AA/artillery but I've got no idea about programming so I'm just talking out of my ass.

All in all these issues really make the game unchallenging as I've basically got way more tools than the AI in most cases, even on higher difficulties. I only play against hard-AI so if these are issues specifically related to them I don't know it.
TntAttack

Re: AI is still a mess

Post by TntAttack »

I believe I recall the dev mention that it was hard to code a more intelligent AI or something. I guess the game has too much variants and options for their to be a pure expert AI, although it would be cool if there was.

Imagine a AI with the intelligence of those chess engines haha, that would be crazy.
HauptmannHorst

Post by HauptmannHorst »

I would like to ad to this list of demand that the AI still seems to be inable of proper use of parashooters. If you place some parashoot planes on top of water, to simulate some form of amphibious attack... they just wait at their position and do not move at all.
Puppeteer12

Post by Puppeteer12 »

HauptmannHorst wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:51 pm I would like to ad to this list of demand that the AI still seems to be inable of proper use of parashooters. If you place some parashoot planes on top of water, to simulate some form of amphibious attack... they just wait at their position and do not move at all.
units tend to use abilities first before moving, This cause a lot of problems especially if the ability cost actions such as being able to kite orcs in aof or helicopter being stuck in the same place in aomw. I guess that's the same problem with paratrooper planes
A master of puppetry and manipulation, working from the shadows.
Klon

Post by Klon »

HauptmannHorst wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:51 pm I would like to ad to this list of demand that the AI still seems to be inable of proper use of parashooters. If you place some parashoot planes on top of water, to simulate some form of amphibious attack... they just wait at their position and do not move at all.
It's not a list of demand per se. I know that programming is really hard and I don't feel like I'm in a position to "demand" anything from what seems to be a majorly volunteer force. Still I think it's important to point out these issues so the devs know what still requires some work. My main issue really is the lack of fixed AA/artillery.
Yeetbruh

Post by Yeetbruh »

The ai seems to prioritize landing craft over bridges
insert quote here

Return to “Issues”