New Campaign Series - Power Creep

Discuss anything about any map, ask for hints/help if you need
Puss_in_Boots

New Campaign Series - Power Creep

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I'm announcing a brand new campaign map that is beginner friendly, and challenging at the same time (hopefully). The reason it'll be good for beginners is because the maps, avg 9^2 in size with small armies, have great replayability. Even when it gets difficult, they can always try again which should only take about 5 minutes or less each time. I believe this campaign will be important for introducing AoS to newbies.

For me it was Gorgon-Delight, Revolution, and Ambition maps. But most of their maps were too grand to finish with ease.

I started 6 maps on this campaign, and I think players will really enjoy it. The map names are sorted into a rhyme scheme and they will be present in map description. There will be reoccurring scenes in maps to give players a loose sense of location.

The backstory is: a country, Grenata, far behind on intellectual merit is laid underseige by another country, Vallstand. The country was originally born out of Grenata as a division from feudalism and over redunant consistency. Vallstand in it's own domestic affairs now practice and learn efficient masonry. With this, a new generation has grown up to produce housing in massive outputs. This in turn caused the population to spike! Parents of the newly born generation taught their children a lesson about this: "to resent dull and aged practices and take up masonry, or you'll miss out on the next reproduction boom." Taking this oxymoron to heart the children followed in their parents' footsteps, learning efficient masonry, expanding on their resentment for tradition. As long as they finished school, they may then declare war when they grow up.

Now with a sizable population, and after growing up, the generation is now ready to declare war on their long targeted foe, Grenata. Of course Grenates decided to finally take up literacy to ridicule the newfounded culture of Vallstand and they were not too bad at it. Vallstans did in fact feel insulted, despite being illiterate, and so they decided to take up literature classes to not look bad and write something for the map descriptions.

In the 1st map, Vallstans protrude walls to seal up an entrance from a valley. This will allow them to set up their expensive, trained from childhood, longbow archers behind cover to rain down destruction for Grenate forces. After overcoming the wall with what little they got, Grenates move on past the valley to secure the perimeter and the area past it. They discovered a fort was resting there the entire and so they look for angles around it. They find one weakspot, and send a small team in for a swift sabotage mission to avoid a seige. They fail to send enough forces to hold the fort, and they are going to be flung back. This is when you start playing as Vallstand and push against grenata, preventing a humiliation (or consistent victories, as is typical in a campaign).

After you're done reading all this, share your ideas. Anything creative or wacky is welcomed, this is supposed to be fun.
OLÉ
Puss_in_Boots

Re: New Campaign Series - Power Creep

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

The 1st 9 maps out already, 3 of them will be fixed in next update.
OLÉ
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

quite challenging, i dont even know how i beat map 2, just got lucky that they target watch tower instead of skirmisher, if ai becomes smarter in the future then it might as well become unplayable
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I beat it without crossbows even having the watch tower in range.

I move pikes to light cav, and focused my skirmishers on one of the enemy pike. After enemy turn you can start attacking crossbows with a skirmisher, and finish off pikemen with the other skirmisher and the remaining pike. After your pikemen are finished off by crossbows your skirmishers should have enough hp to finish off the last enemy pikeman and get up close to the crossbows (point blank for counter attacking).

The maps are quite small, but strategy heavy.
OLÉ
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Side Campaign Serie - Beginner's Manual.

Post by Stratego (dev) »

lol i failed to finish some maps with 3 stars, also there was a map i always failed to even lead to Vicory lol :)
i never thought i am that noob :)
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I think you mean my other campaign "Power Creep." Took me a few tries to get 3 stars, but they were tiny maps so it's not too much time consuming. The difficulty eases down as the battles get bigger in scale to avoid frustration.

As for this campaign, all you have to do is run your units through the enemy and you win. Except for the 4th map where you have to build up and sweep enemy units. The 5th one teaches how to use delete unit to the advantage.
OLÉ
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

right, the impossible for me was the caution map in power creep, but this first was not 3 stars either 2 tries on new easy AI - lol :)
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Can't help it, first map ai does NOTHING but shoot... My best was 11 turns
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

godOfKings wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:53 am Can't help it, first map ai does NOTHING but shoot... My best was 11 turns
First map is difficult if you don't use the petardier to destroy the wall. :)
I tried 6~7 times and finally get this conclusion.
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

got a prob with this campaign.

3 maps from this campaign have no set turns for the gems so I couldn't get my gems!!!

Pls Fix fast, I need that 12 gems.

Also NC campaign.

-DreJaDe
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Moved some posts.

Btw. I also wonder if lack of gem reward is intended.
Age of Strategy design leader
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

@Endru1241
Maybe he still wants to calculate his best turn to make it hard to get the 3 stars.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

he is so bad, give us some break (i wonder how many got 3 stars in the first two maps of rebel king campaign :lol: )

Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Most of my 3 star calculations were from my final result in testing them without stars, so I had to have accomplished them in the specified turn count.

For 1st map, units inside siege mantlet can use action. And the shielders can work down the walls, as the skirmishers focus on longbowman. Also when you breach through the wall, make sure you bring your skirmishers right next to longbow archers for counter dmg.
OLÉ
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

DreJaDe wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:18 am 3 maps from this campaign have no set turns for the gems so I couldn't get my gems!!!

Pls Fix fast, I need that 12 gems.
I sent the fixed maps right after it arrived on Google play. We're just waiting on a new update to be published.

There will be more than 12 available gems next update because I made 2 new maps (+8 gems) for this campaign and another 5 map campaign on the side for beginners (+20 free gems).
OLÉ
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Puss_in_Boots wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:04 pm Most of my 3 star calculations were from my final result in testing them without stars, so I had to have accomplished them in the specified turn count.

For 1st map, units inside siege mantlet can use action. And the shielders can work down the walls, as the skirmishers focus on longbowman. Also when you breach through the wall, make sure you bring your skirmishers right next to longbow archers for counter dmg.
Kinda different for me but still 3 stars.
Just made them survive and kill what I can kill.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i have received this complaint
Can't get through the very first level of easiest campaign? Watch my less than adequate force die to infinite arrows behind a wall while they do too little damage to get through before dying.
i wrote him/her this:
Here you can see how we are working on the easymaps: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7468 Also in this map: use the Petardier to almost destroy a wall segment, and use the Shielders to finish the wall. use the mantlet to protect one of your units from arrows (eg petard in first turn) when wall opened (i have no space to write)
i suggest giving 3 petardiers on beginning and 3 skirmishers instead of 2 to make it super easy
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Maybe just moving Power Creep few campaigns lower would be more adequate, like right before Challenge.

This particular map teaches counter and low health managment to get 3 stars - how to position Your units to deal AI most damage in shortest time.

Which skill btw is used inlater maps.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

in theory these were designed to be easier than anything else, so i would keep it here if we can make all to be more easy.
if not than i can move it lower naturally.
@Puss_in_Boots what is your suggestion?
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

It seems only the first 2 maps in power creeps I m stuck with 2 stars, later maps I got 3 stars although they were challenging and I needed a few tries to figure out how to win, some maps with trigger objectives are really great to teach newbies other ways to win without slaughtering everything :D still got a few maps left.

But in some maps the actual skill player needs is to find loop holes in ai logic to exploit like using units as bait while other units sneak past to ransack the treasure chest, ransack map is probably the most challenging, my sole remaining pikeman dealt the finishing blow wen it had 1 hp remaining

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

The key to 3 stars is imho:
Collision (1st map) :
- use petardier on wall
- get shielders to the wall soonest possible
- let units survive as long as You can hiding the one targeted most in the mantlet, destroying one section of a wall is a priority
- after destroying wall section place units next to enemies to let them deal counter damage, hide in mantlet the one with least hp.

Outreach (2nd map) :
- use spearmen to deal with light cavalry, don't bother them being killed
- start attacking with skirmishers in 1st turn, but don't let them be targeted by both spearmen
- move to crossbowmen attacking spearmen and avoiding damage to skirmishers - remember, than AI attacks unit adjacent before moving, so surviving spearman can come useful
- put skirmishers adjacent to crossbowmen to deal counter damage, ignore their counters
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

That's wat I did :) may b some slight mistakes here and there which is y it literally took one more turn than the 3 star requirement, bad luck I guess

DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

Endru1241 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:53 pm The key to 3 stars is imho:
Collision (1st map) :
- use petardier on wall
- get shielders to the wall soonest possible
- let units survive as long as You can hiding the one targeted most in the mantlet, destroying one section of a wall is a priority
- after destroying wall section place units next to enemies to let them deal counter damage, hide in mantlet the one with least hp.

Outreach (2nd map) :
- use spearmen to deal with light cavalry, don't bother them being killed
- start attacking with skirmishers in 1st turn, but don't let them be targeted by both spearmen
- move to crossbowmen attacking spearmen and avoiding damage to skirmishers - remember, than AI attacks unit adjacent before moving, so surviving spearman can come useful
- put skirmishers adjacent to crossbowmen to deal counter damage, ignore their counters
My strat is also like that but is explained like this.
2 turns, petardier should already beside the wall and suicide for it.

Every turn, the mantlet should be moving close to the wall and juggle the shielder to destroy the wall.

Kill archers as much as possible

EZ 3 stars

If possible make them all survive for better dmg except petardier.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

godOfKings wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:50 am That's wat I did :) may b some slight mistakes here and there which is y it literally took one more turn than the 3 star requirement, bad luck I guess
Well, I got this on 3rd or 4th try and from what I saw - even 1 mistake makes it 2 stars.
Not that I am complaining. Maps are fast to replay. And puss already warned about possible need to play maps few times.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I prefer moving it below challenge. I think Gorgon-Delight should remain first. I sent maps for an alternative campaign that will teach more basic mechanics like bonuses. When I first played, I thought pikemen were just weaker swordsmen and used them, or produced knights to counter enemy knights.
OLÉ
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

moved below challenge map - but i hoped his campaign will be a easy so i could put it into first position (right after beginners guide campaign).
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Well the challenge was supposed to be the gameplay, while the easy part is the replayability. I am happy about the difficulty, all maps can be finished in under an hour for now.
OLÉ

Return to “Campaign map discussions”