Elephants - OP? - ANSWERED

Antarctichusky

Elephants - OP? - ANSWERED

Post by Antarctichusky »

Me and my friend play a lot of hot seat vs AI, which is nvm, but we feel like Elephant is really strong 120hp, 8 turns, 15 power...I think it's really OP considering that archers can't do s*** to him, not any other unit. They're almost invincible. I am not 100% sure about it, but I havn't found 1 unit that even has + dmg to it. Anyone's thoughts?
Our suggestion :
-Lower HP, to 80.
Or
-Be made in 13+ turns.

//We've made tons of healers and took the elephants away. Still I consider it too strong, for mid-game with it's current stace.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Elephants - OP?

Post by Stratego (dev) »

pikemen kill elephants very quickly (extreme bonus against it)
and also elephant is easily converted (without the loyality tech - with the tech they goes to 1 hp instead of conversion, and 1 hp elephant is easy to hunt down)
Antarctichusky

Post by Antarctichusky »

I see, yet it's very very hard to get pikeman close to elephants (if enemies has any archers) getting healers and pikemans close to it, is almost impossible.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok,
i myself easily cut down elephants with these two unit types and also i have my own elephants after conversion :)
(btw: do you have the persuasion tech for better conversion chance? and i use missionaries if i want to get close quickly/or wagons to drop in priests/missionaries - wagon takes many arrow hits without being destrolyed)

but ok, lets see if others share your opinion - thanks!
others: please tell your thoughts. thanks
Antarctichusky

Post by Antarctichusky »

NVM. Your arguments are vaild. It's possibly to counter yet takes a lot of resources to do it. Suggestiok-took-away.

Elephants not so OP.
dust-n-steel

Re: Elephants - OP? - ANSWERED

Post by dust-n-steel »

Yeah, I think The elephant archers are even underpowered
What color is your flag when it's burning?!
Antarctichusky

Post by Antarctichusky »

Agreed, I fought those and they was nothing compered to the normal version, YET they're very good at what they do, small dmg while being tanky.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

any suggestions? maybe a double shot?
dust-n-steel

Post by dust-n-steel »

Double ahot was my suggestion two :D. I think on an elephant is enough place for two bowmen
Antarctichusky

Post by Antarctichusky »

Wouldn't that give them too much power? It's tanky, 1 archer surely isn't best option yet, i'd argue that 2 archers are way too OP. That's how I feel, if You're going to give him double attack, then maybe lower DMG, so it can be used rather as multi-shot to finish of 2 targets than just shut down for 2 targets.
kon

Post by kon »

archers should not be stronger. you see, a man with a shield - Spartan. equestrian warrior-the elephant. but reinforced lancers not. that's the trouble)
dust-n-steel

Post by dust-n-steel »

Maybe a hellebardier?
Antarctichusky

Post by Antarctichusky »

You say, buff a Archer elephant and add Helbardier unit? I guess that wouldn't be bad. We don't have tier 2 "Spike" unit :p
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

elephant archers are quite strong if you have the +2 attack / +2 distance in the blacksmith. I consider them better than normal elephants (quite slow).
MageMarauder

Post by MageMarauder »

I haven't gotten to elephants yet so I have no clue what you guys speak of. I have only destroyed hard AI elephants with lots of pikemen.
Humancarpentry

Post by Humancarpentry »

Catapults also work well against elephants, as do ornithopters.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Catapults do work well, but the cheapest solution is pikemen: Three can take down an elephant at cheaper cost than a catapult. Elephant Archers, on the other hand, pose a little more of a problem.
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

No they dont. A few skirmishers and its down
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

benedictarnold

Post by benedictarnold »

I consider the elephant almost useless. Like others have said, they are easily defeated by pikemen, healers, ornithopters, assassins, catapult, and even just crossbowmen in sufficient numbers.

They're too slow and too expensive. But in all fairness, elephants were probably more useful to combat the Phalanx formation. But after the Romans switched things up and used the testudo formation, elephants weren't as effective (post Hannibal).

Return to “Closed ones”