trebuchet why can't it kill a pikeman ANSWERED

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
SirPat

trebuchet why can't it kill a pikeman ANSWERED

Post by SirPat »

:P Trébuchet's should deal 40 :shock: ? Damage
Or just enough damage to one hit a spartan hoplite cause
In game trebuchet's are useless against most infantry
IT TAKES TWO HITS FROM A TREBUCHET TO KILL A PIKEMAN THAT DON'T MAKE SENSE
So higher dmg and lower Bonuses
P.S. heavy trebuchet would deal 50 dmg

Sincerely SirPat
-Tnx
Last edited by SirPat on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Endru1241

Re: TREBUCHET'S THROWS BIG ROCKS BUT WHY CAN'T IT KILL A PIKEMAN?!

Post by Endru1241 »

Imagine there is a big stone falling at you from great high. Everyone would manage to avoid it. You would only get damage when it hits at ground from broken pieces.

I believe current damage represent that.
On the contrary I would lower catapult damage too (the only siege weapons in history used against armies were ballistas and small catapults filled with many tiny rocks )

Edit: before gunpowder of course.
Last edited by Endru1241 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age of Strategy design leader
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

And it's just balancing. They are meant to be exclusively against buildings. Otherwise trebuchet spam would be the only viable tactic.
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

please lowercase the topic subject it is not allowed to write on forum with capital letters - thanks!
SirPat

Re: trebuchet's throws big rocks but why can't it kill a pikeman

Post by SirPat »

Endru1241 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:04 pm Imagine there is a big stone falling at you from great high. Everyone would manage to avoid it. You would only get damage when it hits at ground from broken pieces.
Then that would be area damage? Right?

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Not in this case - one tile may represent space of like 2.5x2.5 meters, maybe even more like 5x5, so why would a trebuchet have area damage exceeding 1 tile area, when rocks used for this siege weapon were not so big and effective splash range was maybe 2-3meters (most pieces were just thrown up in the air)?
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

Oh cause I thought a tile represents about like a few feet?? Don't make sense right? ,cause I got messed up about ballistas when i learned they have Area damage so i thought tiles were small cause how would a ballista bolt affect nearby units? Ballista bolts (arrows?) Were not thick so
Yeah i didn't knew that

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

it's not a fact. It's just as I imagine this (horseman fits in one tile, well elephant too).

About area damage - I think it's purely balancing change (original was designed not to have area damage viewtopic.php?f=192&t=427&sid=838dc8a1f ... 7ccd80edc5).

I'd like to think it represents piercing effect (in history ballistae shot easily gotten through few men) joined in with tactic of firing two bolts with wire between them or line with small spikes/blades (don't remeber any historical evidence of using it, but I would).
Morningwarrior

Post by Morningwarrior »

Pikeman have 11 hp and trebuchet have 10 damage.
11-10=1 XD
I swore to protect and lead a great order that seeks enlightenment, I was chosen by the great star and I will pour out his fury against anyone who declares himself an enemy!
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: trebuchet why can't it kill a pikeman ANSWERED

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i think that is answered, it has a very good reason being like this.
SirPat

Re: trebuchet why can't it kill a pikeman ANSWERED

Post by SirPat »

Thanks for adding the heavy trebuchets that can kill pikemen because of there 12 base dmg I knew you guys would help me ;) ;) :lol:

Return to “Unit balancing”