polearm formation

SirPat

polearm formation

Post by SirPat »

Works for every polearm user even lancer and upgrd

The idea is that when a pikemen goes to an enemy it instantly damage enemy in process and still gets to attack because its not like your gonna rush to the enemy with your spear down

Also works when enemy goes to you
When you go close to a pikeman you will get damaged (full damage and bonus)

To improve the effectiveness of polearms against cavalry cause a maxed out cavalier can just charge to a maxed out halberdier and kill him making cavalry more powerful in AoS

Because in real life cavalry can't go close to polearms cause they'll get damaged in the process

And makes polearm units strong enough to fight other melee units

And maybe add this to peasants cause why not :)

And makes the lancer and upgrade able to charge cause it will instantly dmg unit it goes at at the same direction he is going at

If unit is went up north then the enemy up north of that position recieve the damage but if there are enemies at the side those enemies will not receive dmg, dmg if there is no one in front at the location it went to it will randomly chose from the one of the enemies nearby at that position
Last edited by SirPat on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: POLEARM FORMATION

Post by Stratego (dev) »

please lowercase the subjects ! thanks!
SirPat

Re: polearm formation

Post by SirPat »

:lol: sorry didn't notice my caps lock was on

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Endru1241

Re: POLEARM FORMATION

Post by Endru1241 »

In real life piken charging at standing (or even fleeing) cavarly is not much more effective than other foot units (like classic medium infantry), while in game they are the reapers of any mounted units. They deal unreal OP damage vs cavalry.
Also in reality knights often attacked pikeman units e.g. from a flank, or after dispersing them a little. They just rarely charged outright .
The thing you propose in addition to current damage (especially on heavy lancer) would make other cavalry completely useless (you can't go anywhere 1 tile from halbeldier or h.lancer because you get at least over 30 damage!).
Besides - even with much lowered damage automatic damage aura would be too hard to implement (requiring new coding).
Age of Strategy design leader
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

Woah! Good point actually you just blew my mind just thinking about it I didn't really thought of it like that well I'm still young and got a lot to learn :lol:

When I learn how to code I will find a way for this to work and maybe make it to be a different mode like the change effect to be just standing or pikes in front

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Actually there is a viable solution already. Just hard to convince players to completely change tactics concerning anti-mounted units.
Pikeman could have much lower +mounted bonus, but transformation (let's name it burying pike).
In transformed state he would have current bonus + power, first strike and full counter abilities (deals damage first when attacked and deals full damage), but no move points. He would need to waste a turn to move, but no mounted unit would attack him (unless ready to take at least half hp damage).
Edit: And die in enemy turn.
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

Sounds nice

Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

new sprites am i hearing? or just an icon?
~Gral.Sturnn
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

What I'm talking about would need image for braced/buried pike (defensive pose with weapon on front) for pikeman, halbeldier, vouglier, swordstavier + (more important) agreement to such huge change (or just make it ability for new unit to test the grounds).
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

it would be a challenge, keep in mind units can be 32x64 but not 64x32 unless we are talking about a revollution
~Gral.Sturnn
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

It would be a challenge. I agree. It would need to be somehow represented diagonally.
Maybe like this somehow.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (551 Bytes) Viewed 1379 times
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

Endru1241 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:44 pm It would be a challenge. I agree. It would need to be somehow represented diagonally.
Maybe like this somehow.
I actually like that! Maybe i can give it a try, or anyone else.

Very creative alternative!!!!
~Gral.Sturnn
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

so how is it?
any comments about the idea?
so what will happen is that lancers and upgr won't have this only anti mounted foot infantry

Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Lancers on the other hand were never defensive at all.
Actually most heavy cavalry in late medieval and later used lances to charge. This kind of weapon is great offensively at charges (both against infantry and cavalry), but breaks easily and is completely useless in normal melee battle (that's why knights always had other battle weapons like maces or axes and secondary weapons - swords).
Specialized lancer units came in 17th century as light cavalry (or came back - don't know if used in such way before) - which is pretty much what AoS Lancer represents. And these units were pulverised by heavy cavalry in close quarters (assuming neither had time/ground to charge).
To implement something similar I would lower lancers anti-mounted bonus to weaker value (like 100%), but add them "lance charge" ability (12/17 damage +100% cavalry bonus).
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

That would be amazing

Return to “Techs”