Civilian stuff.

Things that did not fit to the other parts
Dagravian

Civilian stuff.

Post by Dagravian »

I was thinking on ways to improve our campaigns... And one way to enrich them is that we need to add more civilian stuff on this, maybe groups of 3, with many, many variants... Eg.

- French civilians,
- British civilians,
- German civilians,
- Italian civilians,
- (Europeans in general)

- Farmers, mechanics, doctors and others...
- Children aswell...
- Wild/farm/pet animals...
- Civilian vehicles (bikes, cars, trucks, tractors, animals...)

- Maybe a mix of them aswell, as 2 kids and a dog or 2 farmers and a truck or one woman, one kid and a dog...

I think we can use those farm stuff of 32px from other versions but by making them in groups of 3 inside of 64px. At least it is a start...

Also, if someone is able to make tiles... Those will definitely help as need more... To begin.

Roads, we only have one with grass, we must make those with other backgrounds aswell...

Grassless aka "Dirty" tiles (something like volcano/lava tiles but less darker)

Town pavement to make streets and squares look better...

Buildings are welcome... But perhaps, an autotiling building like those rocks from aos/aof might be the best choice for towns.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Civilian stuff.

Post by Stratego (dev) »

very good ideas!
please make some!
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Right, made 3 new roads with the grassy one, i'm looking to a tile for the town pavemented areas to make street tiles. Anyone up to help on search?
Terrain - Grass Roads.png
Terrain - Grass Roads.png (24.01 KiB) Viewed 5250 times
Terrain - Sand Roads.png
Terrain - Sand Roads.png (19.01 KiB) Viewed 5250 times
Terrain - Snow Roads.png
Terrain - Snow Roads.png (18.42 KiB) Viewed 5250 times
Terrain - Volcanic Roads.png
Terrain - Volcanic Roads.png (18.77 KiB) Viewed 5250 times
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

nice!
but we have more road tiles, see here, i suggest making all to make nice roads (and if u keep the alignment than it is easier to jsonize the tiles.
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Ok, here it is, fixed some contact parts on the original one, now i'm looking for one or more tiles for town pavement...
Terrain - All Grass Roads.png
Terrain - All Grass Roads.png (44.66 KiB) Viewed 5218 times
Terrain - All Roads - Volcanic.png
Terrain - All Roads - Volcanic.png (39.4 KiB) Viewed 5218 times
Terrain - All Roads - Sand.png
Terrain - All Roads - Sand.png (39.24 KiB) Viewed 5218 times
Terrain - All Roads - Snow.png
Terrain - All Roads - Snow.png (37.55 KiB) Viewed 5218 times
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i was thinking about a "decoration" road.

meaning you can put it onto any terrain - drawback: you can not put other decoration to the road - like a stonepile or something.
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Yeah, i know, i was using this base make them:
Terrain - All Roads - Clear.png
Terrain - All Roads - Clear.png (30.34 KiB) Viewed 5209 times
Tho, that drawback is quite bad to create maps in some cases, i think it work as momentaneous thing... It will help until a specific tileset is made for it (Like the cliff ones). But i think we could have it working in both ways like those montains. As background and decoration...

Well in any case, i think you can add those above and if someone else come up with new tile, they could be added to merge within the background untill a specific tileset is created to them... And also, there will be a ready-road base for it. So that will help decrease the work.

Like this test-tile i'm making for the towns, i pick a random tile and fill it on a canvas of 384x192 (same as road)
Terrain - Concrete tile 07.png
Terrain - Concrete tile 07.png (617 Bytes) Viewed 5209 times
And add the roads to get this result:
Terrain - All Roads - Concrete tile 7.png
Terrain - All Roads - Concrete tile 7.png (32.57 KiB) Viewed 5209 times
Btw i still haven't created the tile i'm looking, i'm on the 9th attempt for a good pavemented tile. :(
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Like, roads as decoration will be bad if we have railroads as decoration aswell, bcz there will be parts that will require crossing between them, so we still can have them that way, but it will interfere with other things, so i prefer to keep them with normal tiles... Btw as soon as i find a good tile for the towns, i will be making the railroads ones, tho, i'm not sure what color or size i must do for it, also if a single path or dual path will be better for it...
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

railroad-road crossing can be problem this way too. (u need special tiles for it and current autotile logic will not handle it properly) - or railroad would be decoration?
however i still feel that decorative roads could be the solution to avoid many many terrain types to make as background.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Here's a better idea: make them units! They'll act like bridges for trains and be constructed by engineers in one turn. This also allows for enemy sabotage of railroads, how about that?
OLÉ
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

good and possible idea
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:38 am railroad-road crossing can be problem this way too. (u need special tiles for it and current autotile logic will not handle it properly) - or railroad would be decoration?
however i still feel that decorative roads could be the solution to avoid many many terrain types to make as background.
Railroads would be decorations, they should be above the roads so you can actually see that it is a railroad, so by having roads as decorations too, you would make impossible to make crossing on some terrains...
Puss_in_Boots wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:18 pm Here's a better idea: make them units! They'll act like bridges for trains and be constructed by engineers in one turn. This also allows for enemy sabotage of railroads, how about that?
That's interesting, but i believe that railroads should be neutral, but objects as train-station buildings and trains could have sides... As decoration, you can actually build caltrops, mines or walls over them to block the path or suggest new objects to simulate exactly what effect are you looking.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

rail: ok, but currenly player can not build railroads if they are decorations
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

I guess allowing the player to Build up railroads and trains on mid-match can be really cool but i think it would not work very well and not as effective as it could for now with current mechanics, but perhaps it is, but i think it might take too much efforth for an average result... Like, a separated Flux for rail units like for water ones - so trains can't move outside it - might be easy to do, or not... But still would need to make it also have to allow:

- Any ground and air units be able to stay and bypass in a tile with it like a bridge. But Not only by the one who build it but also from both allieds and foes. Otherwise it would be a spam of invisible 1 turn "walls" on the game...

- Train station and trail factory must be a tile next to the railroads for it to be usefull. Lonelly groups on engineers can't build trains from rocks of the battlefield. So they would require factories with rails next to them...

So for now, i think them as decorations is better bcz we don't have the units and mechanics for it... And bcz as decorations you can actually stay, bypass and build over it without problems. So perfect for Map-Editor maps...
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i see your point, you are probably right.
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Guess what, something like the buildable bridge is actually what i was looking for the town tiles, could these be put in soon?
Terrain - Concrete tile 17.png
Terrain - Concrete tile 17.png (5.42 KiB) Viewed 5140 times
Terrain - All Roads - Concrete tile 17.png
Terrain - All Roads - Concrete tile 17.png (40.2 KiB) Viewed 5140 times
Also, i just found that vehicles can't cross some of those cliff tiles (the tiles not the borders), infantry can go over even if there is lava tiles on, but still got terrain penalty... Quite weird but interesting... So maybe adding the decoration roads could be nice for that part so the user vehicles don't get stuck on one side of the map that happens to have large cliffs...
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

sorry : not sure i get the problems, can usend me screenshots so i indertand?

roads: so can i put it in as "decoration" over any terrain?
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Basically, this...

There is a little confusion of units in these tiles, some cliff tiles aren't crossable by vehicles, while infantry can go over it with penalty, and can cross tiles if there is a border decoration of it near...

I believe that no unit should be able to stay over the borders...Infantry looks that is jumping or climbing over the borders, that's quite cool but still...

So if the decoration roads are able to provide some of this hability to cross tiles would be nice. (Don't got time to do cliff-road tiles, so the decoration alternative should do...)

*Sorry i just don't had time to upload elsewhere atm and over the weekend, if anyone could it will be nice...*
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

DoomsdayDragonfire wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:26 am Yeah, i know, i was using this base make them:
Terrain - All Roads - Clear.png
the transparent road is ready!
was a big coding because decorations had no "autotileing" option.

now it works.

so the AOF "carpet" can also be autotiled from now.
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Oh nice, is it uos?
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

y
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Just checked it and looks really nice, it makes terrain transitions look really smoothly as you can see here... (Minor map spoils)

Btw, could you do the same autotiling now to that hill decoration (ID:1000) to be like the one with grass? Would be very handly to do that than having that made on all-terrain aswell.

Also, when i was testing some random maps, found out that you can't make random maps if you put volcanic tiles on the possible town spawns as they are not buildable, can you set them to be buildable aswell? (Try making one random map filled with volcanic tiles, it won't run...)

Also found really cool and interesting those new trigger headers. Could you explain here what exactly they do?
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I agree, you really did a nice job, and now I'm starting to think the same features should be in both AoG and AoSW.

The headers? I suggested for them to label triggers, so you know which trigger you're tapping instead of skimming through the cond/efx to see what they were supposed to do.
OLÉ
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

it and looks really nice
kindly ask please put those images to outer website and link it from here -thanks!

to that hill decoration (ID:1000) to be like the one with grass?
that tile alredy transparent, so sorry i dont understand what you are requesting , maybe try making an image so i understand
can't make random maps if you put volcanic tiles
this is fixed already! thanks!

trigger headers
the new things are explained in help, and yes the "label" is for you trigger designers for better organizing triggers.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

I guess I will have to steal something more AoG but I don't know what.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:05 am
to that hill decoration (ID:1000) to be like the one with grass?
that tile alredy transparent, so sorry i dont understand what you are requesting , maybe try making an image so i understand
I just want those decorations hills with transparent background (ID: 1000 hot / ID: 1001 cold) be autotiled like the terrain hill (ID 148-156)

I think those (ID 1002-1008) might be able to work now. (will re-upload them soon)
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i think those were not properly drawn to have autotiling.

but if u can give a tileset (eg. making from those) that can beautotiled than i can put it in.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i have found this (that was not striketru)

is this the one you request to be autotiled?
Attachments
terrain_addon_aoww_old.png
terrain_addon_aoww_old.png (23.89 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Yeah, exactly that one, btw i just noticed that it might need the images to connect the corners other than making crosses to connect (luckly just +4 imgs). That don't seens hard to do, so I can try that.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok the autotiled hills are in!
however there are many missing tiles in it.
if anyone wants to make the rest of the tiles, email me i wil send the asseets and the required alignment.
thanks!

also the topic is right, we need many civilaians and stuff, pleae post images you have so i can put in - thanks!

also please open new topic - this topic seems a big mix of everything - let this topic be the "civilians"

Return to “Others”