Redundant Units

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
Lucifer

Redundant Units

Post by Lucifer »

Units not useful anywhere in the game should be tweaked. I can think of these, do add up if you remember anything.
# Voulgier/Svardstavier - Double the cost but nearly equal damage to pikeman(considering bonuses).
# Maceman/Flail - Too similar to each other.
# Daimyo - 8 turns to build & the stats nearly equal to heavy knight.
# Axe knight - weak & no bonuses. Anybody ever used it?
# Centurion - 6 turns, & stats of a heavy knight.
# Maori - weak & no bonuses.
# Chariot - Maybe add a charge ability?
# Spahi - weaker version of knight in same price?
# Siege tower- Should be build-able in Siege Workshop.
# Peasant - Dog is better in every aspect.
# Money courier - Tweak to make mercenaries more useful. Maybe couriers add 5-6 turn to vanishing than current 3.
# Skirmishers- Atl-Atls have 3 times the damage of these kids. 3 times.
# Musketeers - Need tons of research to get & then damage equals archer(considering bonuses).
# Cannoneer - choose catapults over these.
All in all, multiplayer needs more strategy than Knight spam.
Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink.
Midonik

Re: Redundant Units

Post by Midonik »

Well I'm preety sure both centurion and daymo gives bonuses to the units (daymo to Japanese ones, Centurion to I believe all and additionaly even more for Roman) what I believe makes them useful.
Also money courier can speed up production and that in some cases is useful.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

What do you think about the rest of them?
Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Tbh I don't play AoS lately so I can't really tell.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Voulgier and his upgrade is both against infantries and cavalry.
Maceman and flailman: flailman ignores enemy armor. Even if enemy has 100500 armor. Maceman has higher hp and speed.
Daimyo has aura for japan units.
Centurion - same as daimyo but for roman units.
Chariot - it already had suggested many ways to get better. And even they are accepted. We now need to wait for implementation.
Siege tower - why? It can't be transported any way.
Skirmisher - affected by archer upgrades, has his own upgrade, deals tons and tons and tons of damage to elephant archers.
Cannoneer - great anti-catapult unit, has lower miss chance, is cheaper, one of the best choices in castle for training.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

Voulgier's low damage doesn't really qualify it for anti infantry. It can delay them a turn at best.
As for cannoneer, hussars or catapult (upgraded) itself are better as anti-catapult unit, and I'd more likely train trebuchets in castles. They're Awesome in the end game!
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Cannoneer is multipurpose unit:
1. It has high damage + high accuracy.
2. It has same as catapult range + speed 2.
3. It has rather low cost for such stats.
4. It doesn't require workers, can be healed and is immune to fire.
5. Cannoneers are also great in games with water against enemy ships.

Voulgier i don't exactly know what his real purpose.
But i think if he has only 50% bonus against infantries it can be raised up to 100%. Without cost changes.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

actually voulgier doesnt have any bonus apparently against infantry, although 50% bonus dealing 16 to 22 damage wouldnt b so bad, may b also needs reach upgrade
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
StormSaint373

Post by StormSaint373 »

Agreed, either 50% or 100%

Kinda like a lancer, but infantry.
Beware the calm before the Tempest. . .
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

@COOLguy originally it was suggested that voulgier would have low bonus against infantry but doesn't have any

If it gets 50% bonus against infantry, it would deal 8 damage per atk so 16 damage max to infantry, which is lower than 3 turn cost maceman's 30 damage max, even with bonus, voulgier attacking maceman would die from counter atk while maceman survives with 12 HP, so I think 50% bonus is not too much unbalanced
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

The ax knight is horrible. I got a run on a catapult and the ax knight couldn't even destroy it. It also does almost nothing against archers and regular infantry. I suggest that we bump up his power. I don't like the idea of armor because that is not historically accurate. But adding a throwing ability for the ax knight sounds cool provided that it has the power boost.
A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.
StormSaint373

Post by StormSaint373 »

Raise bonuses to 100% and add ignore armor... Axes, maces, and hammers were known to do that.
Beware the calm before the Tempest. . .

Return to “Unit balancing”