sniper IMPLEMENTED

Puss_in_Boots

Re: sniper

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

The color of his clothes are not a deep enough brown. Other than that, looks great.
OLÉ
samuelch

Post by samuelch »

Aimed shot icon.
Attachments
Shot.png
Shot.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 6071 times
samuelch

Post by samuelch »

makazuwr32 wrote:What about range of abilities and attack range?
Range of abilities and attack range is 1.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

WAIT point-blank range?
Why?
Usually they had at least compared to the mortars range and in some cases even higher.
And record shot was when soviet sniper killed an enemy officer from 2000+ meters.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

I would just give it range 2
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.
samuelch

Post by samuelch »

Ok range to 2. It's ready.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

No 2000 range isn't enough. We had to say the mortar was a version that shot at least 3,000 meters away. If you want it to have more "range" either give it first strike or 100% counter dodge.
OLÉ
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

samuelch wrote:Ok range to 2. It's ready.
The Russian sniper image still needs darker clothes. It looks like a mix of Japanese and Russian infantry right now.
OLÉ
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Puss_in_Boots wrote:No 2000 range isn't enough. We had to say the mortar was a version that shot at least 3,000 meters away. If you want it to have more "range" either give it first strike or 100% counter dodge.
Good point, Puss.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Puss is right and i think that they need 1 attack range but with first strike and 70% dodge counter.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

This unit is going to be like a master of defense I can see this unit useful in many ways. Could they get moment with no hindrance for certain nations, like USSR snipers can travel through snow faster than say an american sniper but american sniper's can travel faster in forests so on and so fourth.
A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Belfry777 wrote:This unit is going to be like a master of defense I can see this unit useful in many ways. Could they get moment with no hindrance for certain nations, like USSR snipers can travel through snow faster than say an american sniper but american sniper's can travel faster in forests so on and so fourth.
Good idea Belfry.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
General Brave

Post by General Brave »

Certain Trait For Certain Nations.
Wise, Might, Loyalty. Forever stands Warfell.
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

General Brave wrote:Certain Trait For Certain Nations.
No this is certain trait for each sniper.
samuelch

Post by samuelch »

The effect of sniper shot ability is fear and deal 10 damage.
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

Fear? Okay I see that this could work Do you have an effect image?
samuelch

Post by samuelch »

The image is at the top. Here is a repost.
Attachments
Shot.png
Shot.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 5945 times
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

No, I meant the fear thing.
Soviet_volkc

Post by Soviet_volkc »

Вот "Советский Снайпер*
Attachments
soviet_sniper.png
soviet_sniper.png (523 Bytes) Viewed 5881 times
Soviet_volkc

Post by Soviet_volkc »

Here remade the Soviet sniper
Attachments
sovier sniper.png
sovier sniper.png (524 Bytes) Viewed 5875 times
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Thank you.
:arrow: now we have a USSR sniper image that matches with the rest of the infantry.
OLÉ
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

Okay we have all the assets. I will begin on the Json.
Soviet_volkc

Post by Soviet_volkc »

redone sniper
Attachments
soviet sniper.png
soviet sniper.png (523 Bytes) Viewed 5858 times
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

By making the barrel longer it looks better.
Hyacintho

Post by Hyacintho »

I tested out the sniper, and I must say I am not entirely pleased with how it works.

First off, since it's power is extreme, it must be slow. It cannot replace the MG as an anti infantry. I know it has weak health, but the issue with that is it's range, which enables it to outrun any enemy infantry while at the same time destroying them with precision shots.
See the issue? If the sniper is running, how are it's shots so precise?
However, limiting it's speed to 2 or even 1 would greatly hurt this units usefulness, I think.
So here is my plan:

When the sniper is produced, it will have a speed of 3, and it will be standing and capable of normal infantry movement. Since I'm not aware of any cases of sniper rifles being used as assault rifles by soldiers on the move, the Unit will be using a pistol or something like that as a secondary. As such, it's attack power will be 4, maybe 5.
It will then have a transform ability, which changes the image to the one currently used, will increase attack power to 15, or 20, and will limit speed to 1, or remove mobility entirely. At this stage, it will also gain access to the "Sharp Shot" special ability, which can instantly kill infantry.
This represents the sniper digging in, setting up in a snipers next or something like that. It will then be able to use its rifle, but it can't move because it is focusing on its target.

Here is an overview:

Sniper Standing:
[Needs image.]
Speed: 3
Attack: 4 or 5, you decide.
No special abilities, all other stats the same.

Sniper Dug In:
Speed: 1 or 0, you decide.
Attack: 15 or 20, you decide.
Special Ability: Sharp Shot, instantly kills infantry units.
All other stats the same.

If memory serves correct, this is like the ranger from AoS. Which happens to be the sniper's original inspiration, mechanic wise, in the first place.

About the Sharp Shot ability, it's attack should be raised to 45 to kill Russian Infantry, since their HP is 42.

What do you think?
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

First of all, snipers were to be implemented with only 1 range, but a counter dodge or first strike even to compensate for their high range advantage over conventional weapons. It was agreed upon that anything with a range equal to or less than 2km is not to have 2 tiles of range as opposed to a mortar with heavier models that can fire shells about 3km in an arc.

I do not agree with a speed reduction as they have the same legs as everyone else. Although a new sniper ability to camoflauge would be nice seeing as we have images for that.

In WW2 sniper rifles were just an ordinary soldiers' rifle or bolt action with a scope attached and sometimes a bipod. It should deal damage almost similar to riflemen, but with more abilities to out maneuver conventional infantry units.

In my opinion, sharp shot shouldn't be a thing as they should be dealing a consistent damage rate with rifles and their aim. Realistically speaking, you wouldn't be able to dispatch an entire squad of infantry with a few rifles.
OLÉ
Hyacintho

Post by Hyacintho »

I agree with 1 range for the Unit.

I agree with as 70%, perhaps 80% chance to dodge a counterattack, with a 10% or 20%, maybe 30% chance to dodge an enemy direct attack.
Perhaps these can be increased by a tech or two, like the elves on AoF. (I say this because the game has a criminal lack of techs right now.)

I've modified the stats to fit as well:
HP: 20 or 25, (Damn, I'm indecisive.)
Range: 1,
Attack: 7,
Bonus: 100% on infantry, (14 damage to infantry, 7 to everything else.)

Special Ability: Should we modify Sharp Shot, formerly known as aimed shot, or discard it?
Samuelch described the ability as having a fear effect, which seems good if we can put it in the game.
I'm sure we can, with enough time.

Camoflauge seems good as well.
Perhaps we can use my transform idea, which would transform the sniper into an invisible unit, able to be seen only be neighboring units, a speed of 2, since they have to pay low, and same (decreased?) attack damage?

Or it's a special ability which raises it's armor, or something like that. Personally, I like the transform idea better.
Like the ranger from AoS.

Also, what's this First attack trait you've mentioned? I'm afraid Ive never heard of it.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

First strike is an idea originating from AoF. The description goes as follows: Units given first strike will counterattack it's attacker before it's attack could even register.
OLÉ
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

I like the camouflage idea and it has been talked over before. With the stats we have now this unit is totally an attack unit. Which is not bad, but it should mainly be a defensive unit in bunkers IMHO. I have an idea for this unit (when we get the Duck implemented) as a special forces unit that would infiltrate enemy lines and destroy infantry while not being able to be seen. Very useful! Below is my stats.

Range: 2 (useless otherwise and 200 meters is not far)
HP: 15 (should be killed instantly by infantry)
Attack: 7
Bonus 40%
The other stats can be filled in
Hyacintho

Re: Sniper

Post by Hyacintho »

Alright, we keep going back nd forth on the range, at this this unit will be implemented in February, next year.

Here is my idea of how it should work, It follows Belfrys 2 range idea, but with my own twist. To make it fit better with the game.

First, we have the Sniper in standing form. Its stats as follows:
unit_ger_inf_infantry_old.png
unit_ger_inf_infantry_old.png (2.66 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
[Just a place holder image, dont take it seriously]

HP: 27- Is more able to react to enemy infantry, and can use secondary weapons more efficiently, and so can hold it's own against infantry.

Attack: 7- It's rifles are just modified infantry rifles, and while they may be a bit difficult to use at close range, they re still effective.

Range: 1- He's moving, he's not dug in, he doesn't have time to aim down his sights and so he doesnt have a good range.

Speed: 3- He's on the move, like he's running in the alleys of Stalingrad, on his way to a new snipers nest.

Bonuses: 3- Normal infantry bonuses, which are basically limited to scout vehicles.

Special Abilites: TRANSFORM-
action_transform.png
action_transform.png (5.19 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
This is where it gets fun. He gets to transform into "Sniper Dug In."
The idea is this: He just found his Snipers nest, he digs in, he aims his sights, He doesnt move at all, He is perfectly concealed, he is the soldiers worst nightmare.

I say he will transform like the AA guns in game, where they can change from a AA gun to an AT gun.

Stats when the Sniper is dug in:
unit_us_inf_sniper.png
unit_us_inf_sniper.png (802 Bytes) Viewed 5718 times
Image.

HP: 15- If the infantry, or the tanks, find him, he is caught unawares, surprised. It is a bloodbath for the sniper.

Attack: 12- He is focused, his shots rarely miss there Mark.

Range: 2- He is VERY focused, and he is able to hit targets normal units cannot. (There were rifles with ranges exceeding 2000 meters. They may not have dealt very good damage, but they could reach those targets.)

Speed: 0 or 1- He is dug in, concealed, hidden in the sniper's nest. He cant move, or he will be seen. To move, he must change back to Sniper Standing. (This makes it a Defensive unit.)

Bonuses: 100%, maybe 150% on infantry, which means he deals 24 or 30 damage to infantry. Not enough to Instant Kill, but enough to do heavy damage.

Special Abilites: TRANSFORM.
action_transform.png
action_transform.png (5.19 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
When he is spotted, he has to clear out quick. He changes back to his standing version, and runs for the hills, before the artillery rains down.
Camoflauge: He becomes a stealth unit when he is dug in, perfectly concealed, only scouts, other Snipers, and adjacent units can see him.

Also, Puss, I'm afraid I'm still not quite understanding of what this first strike thing is.
Could you tell me what units in AoF have this ability, so I can test it out and see for myself? I'm afraid I'm a visual learner when it comes to stuff like this.

Return to “Implemented/Closed ones”