Master craftsmen

ejm29

Master craftsmen

Post by ejm29 »

A improved version of the builder, it is mostly the same, but the master craftsmen can also build units that cannot be build be normal builders, like the trebutchet. Once the craftsmen has started to build said unit, regular builders can continue to build it. Thoughts?
"I don't care who I have to step on on my way down."
balint

Re: Master craftsmen

Post by balint »

I like it
This is Hungary and winter is coming.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Good. :)
Thanks!
Josh
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

It's a great idea, but regular builders taking over after the initial construction phase...i don't know about that...i assume the MC would be expensive to train, and if one of them can start, say, a trebuchet and normal workers can finish it, you'd only need one (expensive) MC and a lot of normal workers and you could make entire swarms of specialized equipment...i think only the MC's should be able to start and complete the specialty items like trebuchets, except for the normal production facilities, of course...i.e., castles for trebuchets, etc...

Maybe we can come up with some specialized items that ONLY the MC's can make...like SIEGE TOWERS (I'll put the description for these in another thread...)

Edit: sorry, i didn't realise Siege Towers had already been suggested... :?
Last edited by max-damage on Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder if you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

Ah ok, I see what you mean. It may be for the best if MC are the only once able to make special equipment :)
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

I REALLY like this idea!!! I want to place it into my vote list!!!!! :-) (am i allowed to vote? I haven't been a member, here, for very long...)
It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder if you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
cakidtraptinid

Post by cakidtraptinid »

im new but ive read through the forum a bit and noticed people also refering to an engineer/earth mover/digger also as an ugraded builder (links below). but hows about an engineer/master craftsman that can convert DAMAGED war machines? like if somebody was able to get your catapults health to the red and you didnt kill the builder that just casually strolled up to it he could convert and repair it.

http://www.ageofstrategy.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=825 earth mover
http://www.ageofstrategy.net/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1734 digger
http://www.ageofstrategy.net/viewtopic. ... 392#p11776 workers attack rocks
http://www.ageofstrategy.net/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1265 tech and build upgrades
http://www.ageofstrategy.net/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1255 engineering
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

I'm not sure I understand what you mean...
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

I think he means it would act like a missionary (the conversion part) but they convert siege equipment instead of units. Although this sounds good, I personally prefer the original idea. :)
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

I see...okay, that actually could work well...then you'd need troops to protect your siege engines instead of just setting them loose on an enemy stronghold...sounds a lot more realistic...
RiverRaider 1097

Post by RiverRaider 1097 »

I still think we need a way to go through obstacles like forests and even rock in time of course, as they did in the day nothing stopped those guys they found a way. If it be craftsman or engineer but I assume it would be an upgrade to the worker,but this may be to hard to program,or code or whatever I don't know?
and remember,wherever your at,there you are
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I'm with river raider
Age of Fantasy design leader
RiverRaider 1097

As ejm stated at the start! MASTER craftsman these guys should be able to build anything from wood in AOS plus engineer a way through the thickets and mountains?
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

RiverRaider 1097 wrote:I still think we need a way to go through obstacles like forests and even rock in time of course, as they did in the day nothing stopped those guys they found a way. If it be craftsman or engineer but I assume it would be an upgrade to the worker,but this may be to hard to program,or code or whatever I don't know?

this goes back to the point that extremely large siege engines--like trebuchets--were constructed on-site from local materials with hardware that was brought by the engineers of the attacking force...oversized siege engines aren't practical to move once they're built...and as far as catapults and the like travelling over hostile terrain goes, they were usually disassembled for travel over long distances...I can't really imagine an attacking army moving a fleet of catapults 600 miles to attack an enemy stronghold, you know what I mean?
RiverRaider 1097

No of course not but a path cut through rough terrain for wagons hauling the siege units would put fear in your opponent enough to want to stop him? There are maps in AOS where the only way out is by foot or horse these are the situations this unit would work well if you can keep the archers at bay that is!!
max-damage

Post by max-damage »

exactly, and that fits in with the entire concept of the MC's...they are engineers, not combat units, but would be invaluable in a siege campaign, so would need to be protected mightily (they're also expensive...)...I was simply expanding on what was already being said for the sake of clarity... 8-)
Alex486

Post by Alex486 »

So where are we at with this?
Anything is feasible with enough money and power.

Get ready to get your teeth kicked in, it will make for a good education.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Talking :)
Thanks!
Josh
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

Anyone want to make an image? :)
Lawrence