Age of.. si-fi? CLOSED

Midonik

Age of.. si-fi? CLOSED

Post by Midonik »

At begining,this game was going to be insprated by XCOM. Not the same,becuse of copyrights,but similar. So,aliens invade humans,so the have natural tech advance,and it might cause problem with balancing. Also,a scale of fights- in XCOM,we have few persons team and fight on area of few bulidngs. Thats why I make all infantry heaving range. I think it wont work well in this game. I suggest big changes of game concept. We will make scale like in AoWw,so infantry with one range etc. and change idea of alians attacking humans into regular fight bettwen rases on eqeual (mostly) tech level (no space battles thought) it will make more units and campaing options. Also,only two races isnt a lot-I said that there should be two,becouse it will fit in orginal concept,but if we do that what I write here I think we should make 3 aliens races + humans.
I hope it isnt too long and someone will read it :lol:. I think that if we do that,name "Age of si-fi" or "Future Age" will fit better.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Age of.. si-fi?

Post by Stratego (dev) »

yes i suggest 1 ranged units by default (eg. hand weapons) and special weapons to have longer range (eg. sniper).

the game is not working if every unit has range -i tried it in SWS but did not worked well.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Ok,what about other my suggestions?
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I think we should make 3 aliens races + humans.
it can be, but 1 alien is also ok for starter.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

In AoF we have 4 races when implementated,so 4 races is what we should going to reach here to,but we should start with 2,and add next with time,like in AoWw now. I assume you aggre with my idea of changing main concept (not aliens invading humans,but regular fight bettwen races). If Its about changing name,its a cosmetic change,but UFO (Implementated flying object) fit more into earlier concept. Now,we need to choose 3 aliens races we are going to develop (alphas,greys and one more),chose one of them we will add first,and start doing our "job" ;). I know that now we are aiming to finsish AoWw and make AoF even better,and we all are spending our expenisive time on it,but we cloud at least terotocaly beginin,cant we?
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

I hate to suggest it, but here

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=4274

Warhammer 40k uses the basic fantasy races we already have in AoF, just in a space setting. Humans (duh), eldar (elves), orks (orcs who can't spell), and necrons (undead)

I don't see why we can't make our own spin in the same direction, as long as we don't go ahead and cross copyright lines.

I've even seen ideas that spin genetically engineered humans that could be like elves, mutants like orcs, and cybernetically animated bodies. We can probably reuse a lot of existing work for this. Honestly, that's how AoF started. Just a framework around the existing AoS stuff that we fleshed out.
The glorious sun rises again
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Well... Wont it be too similar to AoF? The main mechanic diffrent bettwen AoS and AoF was that AoF have races,but now it wont be anythink special. Also,warhammer is much more "fantasy" type of game than Xcom and ideas we posted here,well,its not a lot if it,but some thinks might need rework if we would base it more on warhammer.
Sunrise Samurai

It was more just an idea anyway. AoF has gone far beyond the basic Tolkien ideas it started with, taking inspiration out of everything from d&d to Warcraft to various books, comics, games, and who knows what each individual had swimming around their head when they posted an idea.

My advice, let's see if we can branch out into more than just xcom (which I don't know much about) and maybe we can find more to play with. I'm up for anything from the creatures out of Half-Life to a sentient machine race of self replicating artificial intelligence. I'd laugh if someone added in glados from portal though :lol:
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Sunrise Samurai wrote:My advice, let's see if we can branch out into more than just xcom (which I don't know much about) and maybe we can find more to play with. I'm up for anything from the creatures out of Half-Life to a sentient machine race of self replicating artificial intelligence. I'd laugh if someone added in glados from portal though :lol:
And I was just thinking about Daleks as, "for fun units."
OLÉ
samuelch

Post by samuelch »

Age of Sci-fi sounds good.
Sunrise Samurai

Lol I call them salt and pepper shakers.
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

For races, you don't really need dwarfs or elves, i will say this 5 species i can think of as the races was humanoid, reptilian, insectoid, avian, and mech (automaton).
Currently exploring the wonder of dimension.
Sunrise Samurai

That sounds like a decent spread. Somewhat laughable, but here's another fun idea.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4044

It seems to have been rejected for AoF sadly, but the images can be tweaked and the ideas recycled and fleshed out for a pretty cool sci-fi race.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Sounds ok,if we do that corect. We cloud make those a bit like undeds- they cloud have converting unit (by spraying spores) and growing units from corpusess like in first post.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Sunrise Samurai wrote:That sounds like a decent spread. Somewhat laughable, but here's another fun idea.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4044

It seems to have been rejected for AoF sadly, but the images can be tweaked and the ideas recycled and fleshed out for a pretty cool sci-fi race.
That idea seems.. other worldly, yet so do the myconids. :mrgreen:
OLÉ
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Dan301002 wrote:For races, you don't really need dwarfs or elves, i will say this 5 species i can think of as the races was humanoid, reptilian, insectoid, avian, and mech (automaton).
We woll have the humans,reptilians are acctualy alphas,but we can reneme it if you want,avian... what a heck is it? insectoid sounds like good idea for race with swarmy armies,mech,as bounted ai is cool option too,those myconids also souds good,what about "greys" race? Put it with reptilians or with/instand of avian race? And what with brutes?
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

We could put in the Arachnids as part of that alien insectoid race.
OLÉ
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Of "arachnids" means what I think it means-race of spider-like creatures,then yes,they are insect,so they will fit into this race.
Sunrise Samurai

I think I actually like the myconids for this. They could easily use corpses like AoF undeads, and the idea of spores surviving in a vacuum is actually pretty reasonable.

Avians are birds, so as a race they would be birdlike creatures, probably with an emphasis on flying units.

I'd say merge greys with reptilians, personally​. Maybe as a subspecies.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Midonik wrote:Of "arachnids" means what I think it means-race of spider-like creatures,then yes,they are insect,so they will fit into this race.
I meant these
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8
From Starship Troopers
OLÉ
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Ok,so we have some preety good races ideas,Daniel (or stratego) said that we should start with two,so humans and?
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Oh,and I will make topic about alliance those races in "factions" so we can talk about strenght and weakness of them there.
Sunrise Samurai

I'd go between machines or myconids for the second starting race. Probably myconids, since we already have a good framework for how they work, and images we can edit to fit our purposes.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

I wanted to start with Reptilians,becouse at this forum we already have some topics about their units,but I think you are right. (To tell the truth this race makeing me most excited).
Sunrise Samurai

Ok. Seems like you've got a lot you can compile there already, so I don't see why not.
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

Well then Reptilians it is, also what about the progress of "Human Faction / Races"?

Also, i would like space battles honestly (with some criteria atleast, definitely EMP is one lol), the one in SwS didn't feel like one for me. But of course this one things will be for later case. :P
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

I do thinks myconids would be specifically some mutated plants that gained intelligence. Some buildings will be made of special kinds of wood, some of them maybe will be normal buildings, in ruin style. :lol:
Also my story for them (possible grammar, please bear with it). :mrgreen:

"From some places out there, some storytale about a civilization out there that got destroyed because of their greed of knowledge and well... some raging plants. At first they were a good civilization with thirst of knowledge, they are kind people, so everybody likes them. Good at diplomatic relationships, they are like brothers to some races, after some time they then reach their glory for several milennia after discovering a breakthrough on the bottom secret of genetic modification. They grew greedy and aggresive with time, only to be killed by their own experiment. The plants that had been mutated and modificated by them gained intelligence, they then after some time started a massive breakout, the civilization can't stop their own weapon they made. Plants with thorn on their hands sharp enough to pierce someone body (shoot), plants that release fungus to control their target(some kinds of hypnotism / Psi?), plants with severe acid they release (especially lethal against metal), plants that able to release root that strike from below for completely surprise attack (trap-specializer), plants that had their exo-skeleton (i will just call it that) as hard as metal, they can make walls and some buildings too (special units, some kinds of workers with low attack but come with pierce armor and special skill, make wall where its resides at the cost of that worker, also 50% weaker), and more and more of their kind from mutation. Apparently knowledge from their creator got passed down when their creator make them, they become the new empire as they use their knowledge to the fullest that everyone must reckon their prowess."
Currently exploring the wonder of dimension.
Sunrise Samurai

If you want that story to be official among the non-forum players, you'd better make it a campaign :twisted: I look forward to playing it.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

It's starting to sound like both Undead and elven with this one. ;)
OLÉ
Sunrise Samurai

Sad part is puss, we created the myconids. By that story, it sounds like we're on the dinner table first.... :shock:

Return to “Archive”