Damage calculation

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
TheBluePhoenix

Damage calculation

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Many a times i am confused whether or not a unit will get destroyed if i hit it with a particular unit. As the no. Of units increases, the confusion increases. I suggest two possible solutions-
1. The health bar shows how much health will be lost by a particular unit when attacked by the other unit (as it is in frozen front 1947)
OR
2. A damage calculator button which calculates the particular damage required with the given inputs.

This is extremely nescessary
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

Disco

Re: Damage calculation

Post by Disco »

I have to be honest..Im not keen on this mate. I like a learning curve in games, besides some damage appears to be random-like (catapults etc). Maybe not random, but it does seem like that to me lol

Also I like some uncertainty in battles, as it works both ways (for & against). Although admittedly, mainly against moi :cry:
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I'd like ti understand more spell damage in aof xD
Age of Fantasy design leader
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Disco wrote:I have to be honest..Im not keen on this mate. I like a learning curve in games, besides some damage appears to be random-like (catapults etc). Maybe not random, but it does seem like that to me lol

Also I like some uncertainty in battles, as it works both ways (for & against). Although admittedly, mainly against moi :cry:
I think you are not getting what i mean....
It is absolutely nescessary for strategy games to have this. And there is no random damage. The catapult damages only 1 unit with the desired damage- the rest are just area damaged, which does not count
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

Disco

Post by Disco »

TheBluePhoenix wrote: It is absolutely nescessary for strategy games to have this
Well um, I disagree :shock:
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i like the idea, i can imagine it like the "arrow" icon could have a "hp" indicator that will mean the predicted damage (or simly a little number telling the predicted HP loss like: "-11")
but will require some coding.
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

The icon should be some scull to represent death
Disco

Post by Disco »

Well, since the dev has said its cool, and I dislike it (i honestly do). I think i'll start looking for a new game to invest in, as I cant imagine how this adds to the strategy...other than to make it easier.

I remember when i played this game the first day, and I thought "whoa..this is just like Age of Empires". AOE didnt have this in it :shock:
This is only gonna make a lengthy game............ even longer.
Like a time warp thing, knowing what will happen before it does, then re-working it over, and over, and over till the out-come is as perfect as you can make it. Every.Single.Turn.
Haha maybe this could be a new tech, like "nostradamus eyes" :lol:

Anyways id be too :oops: to play a game like that! Maybe im a bit of a dinosaur, and prefer more adult aimed games.

Sooooo

Thanks everyone for a good time here on the forums, and in-game (the few I played). Had a blast ;)
Dont worry..i'll retire my matches, not to hold any matches up. Cheers and best o luck!!
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

- you can not "rework" things.
- you can only see what any experienced player "know" by heart, that a hit with one unit what damage will inflict on target unit (non experienced users also can check how much damage will be by checking the stats of attacker unit and target unit.)

so
1. it would only display a thing that is commony know by the unit stats (you can calculate it or you can "know" it)
2. any existing "random" thing will remain: eg: a cannoneer shot is displayed IF IT HITS the target - if misses than not the displayed damage will be dealt or will no deal damage at all.
3. it is not "re-playable", we did not say that any movement or attack can be undone.
4. it will take time i implement it :)
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

This might take out a little bit of the expert edge to the game though :)

Lol just feels a little cheap to have the computer spoon feeding the damage stats to you. ;)
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Disco wrote:Well, since the dev has said its cool, and I dislike it (i honestly do). I think i'll start looking for a new game to invest in, as I cant imagine how this adds to the strategy...other than to make it easier.

I remember when i played this game the first day, and I thought "whoa..this is just like Age of Empires". AOE didnt have this in it :shock:
This is only gonna make a lengthy game............ even longer.
Like a time warp thing, knowing what will happen before it does, then re-working it over, and over, and over till the out-come is as perfect as you can make it. Every.Single.Turn.
Haha maybe this could be a new tech, like "nostradamus eyes" :lol:

Anyways id be too :oops: to play a game like that! Maybe im a bit of a dinosaur, and prefer more adult aimed games.

Sooooo

Thanks everyone for a good time here on the forums, and in-game (the few I played). Had a blast ;)
Dont worry..i'll retire my matches, not to hold any matches up. Cheers and best o luck!!
What nonsense is this...
How come knowing the amount of damage that will be inflicted destroy the game?
Also no one attacks any unit without having a rough idea about the damage it will make. This will just add to precision
And i ask for this as the damage inflicted is very random because of the large amount of different bonuses all units have against each other and as many bonuses are not mentioned(it is a long time the stat sheet is updated for bonuses)

You leaving such a good game for a silly reason like that is just pathetic, unless you are joking....

TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

COOLguy wrote:This might take out a little bit of the expert edge to the game though :)

Lol just feels a little cheap to have the computer spoon feeding the damage stats to you. ;)
I dont mind this not being included in the game if all bonuses for all units are correctly updated. (We can work on it)
I have many a times got the wrong amount of projected damage and screwed up the game just because the bonus was not specified. Many a times i have to make a small map including the units i want to check the bonuses of

Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I don't see this as a priority, but anything that can speed up player turns is welcome.
I think we still might make the game creator choose if he wants or not to display damage
Last edited by Alexander82 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age of Fantasy design leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Yes. Low priority. But for me an acceptable request.
Disco

Post by Disco »

TheBluePhoenix wrote:
Disco wrote: What nonsense is this...
How come knowing the amount of damage that will be inflicted destroy the game?
Also no one attacks any unit without having a rough idea about the damage it will make. This will just add to precision
And i ask for this as the damage inflicted is very random because of the large amount of different bonuses all units have against each other and as many bonuses are not mentioned(it is a long time the stat sheet is updated for bonuses)

You leaving such a good game for a silly reason like that is just pathetic, unless you are joking....
First off dude, I didnt say it would destroy the game. It is only my opinion, that is all! Many will probably like it...cos well there thick or impatient lol

War is about knowledge. Knowledge = Power, and Power is King. This seems to totally conflict it (again my opinion).

I would compare this update to something like:

Taking a game like Forza (or another racing sim), then adding turtle shells and banana skins via update, an turning it into Mario-Kart.
Dont get me wrong, i love MK..but thats because i suck at it..but i can still win, cos its not a serious racing game.
A win at Forza...well im still dreaming, an you actually need to be very, very good at it. :(

I dont think i can say it better than Coolguy TBH "Spoon-fed"

P.S. Patroid stop trolling me :lol:
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

I agree with Disco because this will make player's THINK and will make them THINK if they should take the chance or not :x
Epic Gamer Moment!
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Well to think properly he needs all basic knowledge , and to have that all stat sheets have to be updated.
And i dont think it is a task easier than implementing this. And while stat sheets need to be updated from time to time, if this is implemented then there is no need to even show the bonuses

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

please suggest here visual appearance ideas (how to show the expected damage)
with sample images - thank!

Return to “Gameplay & UI”