Battering Ram IMPLEMENTED

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
duneix

Battering Ram IMPLEMENTED

Post by duneix »

Hi,

I've seen a topic about siege weapons one year ago but the battery ram was not discussed much (except arrow resistance)

Does anyone of you use battery rams?

I find them very useful in only one situation...defending a city. Which is strange for a siege unit.

My opinion is, they are far too resistant (too many hp) and not powerful enough against towers and walls.

What about you?
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Re: Battery Ram

Post by DoomCarrot »

Battering rams are super useful. Not only can they be put in wagons, but they are also very hard to take down in melee if you have properly strategic soldiers in them.

I agree they do hardly any damage to fortifications, but this is made up by the fact that they can normally get multiple hits in before being destroyed.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
duneix

Post by duneix »

Yes they are useful....but not in the way a battery Ram should be :roll:

Right now there are either a defensive unit, either a kind of shielded transport for infantry (in association with a wagon)
And they are also a shielded wagon for assassins (these useful 2 more moves when the ram goes out of the wagon...)

But for me, they should be much more efficient against walls and towers, have less hp, and should not be able to transport units...

What do you think? And why not creating another unit (similar to the Trojan horse) to replace the battery ram as a shielded wagon for infantry)
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Well, it isn't as powerful as a catapult or a trebuchet. However, it is about as effective as a soldier like a man-at-arms or a tuetonic knight. And, if you think about it, a battering ram is basically just a big shield with soldiers inside swinging a big log.

Thus, I think soldierish strength + shieldlike invincibility is a logical and balanced combo considering its cost.

these are just my personal 2 cents though, so im curious to hear others' opinions.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Disco

Post by Disco »

My two pennies.

This is another unit ive rarely used lol.
Does it have 2 attacks? Im not sure..my memory sucks!

Anyways, i remember thinking they wasnt great at getting through walls, an its far quicker using swordsmen (swapping) etc.
But after reading what DC says, i guess, if those walls are actually defended then battery rams are the way to go :)
As for using as transport, aren't these things extremely slow?

I do think however..they could have a wee bit of a boost against gates.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Yes Disco, they are slow, but they can hold two units and fit in wagons. Making it possible ot have 6 units + 3 battering rams in a single wagon. :P

Also, yes they should probably do a huge damage to gates.
Disco

Post by Disco »

DoomCarrot wrote:Yes Disco, they are slow, but they can hold two units and fit in wagons. Making it possible ot have 6 units + 3 battering rams in a single wagon. :P

Also, yes they should probably do a huge damage to gates.
Ah right i see! That is a bit over the top for sure lol
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i will remove this encapsulation :) (ram into wagon, wagon into ram)
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

wagons can't go into rams I don't think, only rams can go into wagons.

Also, I think it is cool. :)
duneix

Post by duneix »

That would be hard if rams couldn't go into wagons as they are really slow,bit encapsulation is also not logical.

Else, maybe a ram could take the three places of a wagon? Hard to program?
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

I honestly think that rams in wagons is such a good feature though, because it adds strategy.

For instance, you can spend time building a huge marine force by loading a wagon full of rams full of man-at-arms and put in a transport. This requires a lot of patience and it makes the transport an incredibly critical target if you know what is in it.

Little things like that are what makes every game unique. If we remove this feature, it just makes wagons and transports and things predictable.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Battering Ram IMPLEMENTED

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i believe it is in (the encapsulation)
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

DoomCarrot wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:00 pm I honestly think that rams in wagons is such a good feature though, because it adds strategy.

For instance, you can spend time building a huge marine force by loading a wagon full of rams full of man-at-arms and put in a transport. This requires a lot of patience and it makes the transport an incredibly critical target if you know what is in it.

Little things like that are what makes every game unique. If we remove this feature, it just makes wagons and transports and things predictable.
I totally agree, this is just a great feature! It also makes big armies more compact, but more vulnerable (you can lose some very quickly in ambush) It is just great fun luring people out of their bases and slaughtering them all with just a few wagons and knights. :D
Random guy: "Lets use goblins."
Me: "GOBLINS? THIS IS LAWRENCIAAAAA!"
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

wat if u lure a wagon with pikemen out of those towns instead? :lol: :lol: :lol:

:twisted: i do use wagons with pikemen for defense u know :twisted:

early game standard army: wagons with battering rams with samurai and pikeman in each battering ram, then behind more wagons with atl atls (and may b a few ballista) :)
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I love siege engines, I also use builders to quikly make a camp :D (makes the game more realistic ;) )
Random guy: "Lets use goblins."
Me: "GOBLINS? THIS IS LAWRENCIAAAAA!"

Return to “Unit balancing”