Map editor sooooooo slow

Sethington

Map editor sooooooo slow

Post by Sethington »

So I've tried to use the map editor to create a custom map but I gave up. Within minutes of using it it becomes some nearly unresponsive and I have to exit to game. There is no crash report. I have a GS6 and play other games with much higher processor/memory requirements (or so it would seem) with no issue. I've made sure everything else is closed and no other resource hungry apps and services are running in the background before I try it and still, after a few minutes it lags to the point of un-usability.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Re: Map editor sooooooo slow

Post by DoomCarrot »

This happens to me to when I create a map, I have no idea why. If it starts to lag, exit to menu and go back to the editor, it should be fast again.

Also, the undo button, and "draw" button seem to cause massive amounts of lag that require restarting the editor.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I have to agree. It use to be fine for me, until ive started adding triggers. It seems the more triggers I have, the more it lags (in an out of in-editor menu). Its upto about 30secs atm. Doesnt bode well when ive got another 20 or so triggers to go lol.

Does it run/check triggers everytime you open/close the menu?
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

Everytime i use the editor to create a new map it lags really bad. But if you save and exit it works very soomthly.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Well i used to find it difficult to work with, but now i am just fine after dev made some changes
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

Disco

Post by Disco »

Ive found saving, then closing the app, to open again helped lots.
Its actually pretty good again now. Though it did start to slow..but should be ok again when i re-open ;)
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

Hi,finnaly somewhone has started a post like this.
That so called Map Editor or i reffer it us Bug Editor,is reason why i stopped making maps,its just terrible,i once pressed undo buttom and it deleted HALF of he map! So i gave up on it.Phones were never meant for stuff like these,this is where tiled did well. :(
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Lancer wrote:Hi,finnaly somewhone has started a post like this.
That so called Map Editor or i reffer it us Bug Editor,is reason why i stopped making maps,its just terrible,i once pressed undo buttom and it deleted HALF of he map! So i gave up on it.Phones were never meant for stuff like these,this is where tiled did well. :(
It is not that bad. Sad, i liked some of your maps
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

No Lance! I liked your campaign! :(
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Yea i have no probs with the map editer other than the undo button... NEVER HIT THAT BUTTON... EVER
Admire the flowering buds all you like...
However it's the thorns you need to be worried about
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Ok, in my experience, NEVER EVER EVER EVEREVEREVERevereverEverEVERever hit the undo button twice. It almost always works if you make a mistake and press it once to undo it. However, if you do that, SAVE, EXIT, AND RELOAD IMMEDIATELY. If you ever press the undo button twice in one building session, it glitches out and sometimes destroys your entire map. :o
Daruty

Post by Daruty »

Once I was making a 50 x50 map but I placed one of the last units in the wrong position it looked like nothing was happening so I did some homework when I watched again I saw the last units dissapear
Never use the undo button it is evil :evil: :twisted:
EVIL VERY EVIL after that I quit aos for 2 days!!!!
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

DoomCarrot wrote:Ok, in my experience, NEVER EVER EVER EVEREVEREVERevereverEverEVERever hit the undo button twice. It almost always works if you make a mistake and press it once to undo it. However, if you do that, SAVE, EXIT, AND RELOAD IMMEDIATELY. If you ever press the undo button twice in one building session, it glitches out and sometimes destroys your entire map. :o

Undo button is fixed, sorry for the inconvenience!
up on server in 20 minutes.
HokanPL

Post by HokanPL »

Undo button is fixed? BTW, I will write about two problems after updating AOS on my phone:
-using undo button in map editor = CRASH
-I had on my map some green watch towers, I wanted to replace them with red ones. What happened after replacing just one? Rest are deleted, and stone walls disappeared! :shock:
And this stupid editor has saved changes automatically so I must repair a lot in my map. I WANT AN OPTION TO DISABLE AUTOSAVE AND SAVE/LOAD BUTTON, at least in map editor ( and of course communication: "do you want to quit? All unsaved changes will be lost" - or something like this)

:evil: *furious* :evil:
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

sounds bad.

"after updating AOS": are you updating the "dev" version?

crash: can you send me crash report? (i made 3 lotr maps in last 3 days and never had crash)

"I wanted to replace them with red ones. What happened after replacing just one? Rest are deleted, and stone walls disappeared!" please tell me detailly what you did (have u even used undo button?)

I WANT AN OPTION TO DISABLE AUTOSAVE: ok, a "quit without saving" option. ok, will be in. update: it is up on server in 20 minutes (however i had no time to test it much, only few times, i havent slept in 24 hours and was exhausting day with hours of driving back home :))

sorry for the problems, the reason of the "dev" version is to filter out such bugs, trying to prevent those bugs going out to public version (also dont forget that the public version also calls the editor "Beta")
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

up date on prev post.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Elvenprincess and I tested it a bit each - it seems to work.

We tested Quit Game and Quit Without Save
Thanks!
Josh
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Thanks!
HokanPL

Post by HokanPL »

Reports sent. Still the same problems after update, but I suppose there is something wrong with my map, not with the app. Sorry, Daniel ;) You are lucky, because my old map without "dissappeared objects" was in own maps. I must add some triggers to correct design but it's no problem

TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

HokanPL wrote:Reports sent. Still the same problems after update, but I suppose there is something wrong with my map, not with the app. Sorry, Daniel ;) You are lucky, because my old map without "dissappeared objects" was in own maps. I must add some triggers to correct design but it's no problem

Yes this is not a problem with the editor, but with your map. Because by converting the towers/deleting some units you might have by mistake triggered some effect and as triggers work even while map making, you saw the effects which you thought tp be the editor's problem

HokanPL

Post by HokanPL »

What? Triggers are working during designing a map?
Everything clear :P
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

triggers working on editing? really? that is bug definitely - they should not work while editing.

"Reports sent." please tell me which email and from what email address of yours (i could not find them)
HokanPL

Post by HokanPL »

from michal.mulewicz@gmail.com this time (normally I use wielkikaszaniarz@gmail.com)

By the same email I've sent my map (twice, by mistake) for Paths of Rome Campaign
Disco

Post by Disco »

Triggers are not working during editing for me.
HokanPL

Post by HokanPL »

It can't be "running triggers problem", because I got the same errors when I was adding neutral units, not connected to any trigger. It must be a bug in my map only, but don't worry - I've tested it and for players it can't be seen. :)
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:triggers working on editing? really? that is bug definitely - they should not work while editing.

"Reports sent." please tell me which email and from what email address of yours (i could not find them)

Well i once made a trigger that when object so and so is destroyed , delete all objects from area "" . I by mistake erased the object in the condition and that immediately deleted all units in the effect area
similar things have occured with me

Disco

Post by Disco »

TheBluePhoenix wrote:Well i once made a trigger that when object so and so is destroyed , delete all objects from area "" . I by mistake erased the object in the condition and that immediately deleted all units in the effect area
similar things have occured with me
Hahaha! Man that must have been a WTF moment! Did the undo button work?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

one idea: was it an old kind TMX based map? if so modifying that can remove all units in units layer, and you need to put the rest onto it again.
HokanPL

Post by HokanPL »

Disco wrote:Hahaha! Man that must have been a WTF moment! Did the undo button work?
When you use undo button in this situation, your app says wtf and crashes :lol:
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:one idea: was it an old kind TMX based map? if so modifying that can remove all units in units layer, and you need to put the rest onto it again.
Is this the situation?

Return to “Performance problems”