Sapper (Saboteur)

Calibear

We aint diggin, We are TUNNELLERS

Post by Calibear »

Some historical accounts there are Muslims destroyed a Christian fortress/Outpost (Not just tower, a lot of walls and towers). The Muslims hired Tunnellers to dig underneath the walls and they set smoked the digged perimeter underneath, resulting the moisture of the walls become less and it started to crumble. After that the Muslims destroyed the whole fortress/outpost.

Sorry, idon't know what name of reference but you can search it out (takes time).
I would like the Tunnellers on the Mercenaries' Tavern
Not all walls can be destroyed by Dat ASSassins.
The Stone (Bricked) Wall is impenetrable and only removed by triggers in AOS.
These walls have 1000 ARMOR and P.ARMOR (See it for yourself)
And the Tunnellers will get the job done. (Dun dun duuuun, Teh Eye of teh Tigeeeer)
Strategy...Strategy.. I want your strategy! Wait, did you just only used tactics!?
Calibear

Request for Topic Rename

Post by Calibear »

I would like to request to rename the Topic "Digger" as "New Unit: Tunneller"
Pleaase? Thanks! :D

The unit description will be:
Tunneller - they are miners hired to demolish thick walls and risk his life for a better wage.
Now this Topic will dig in 8-)
Strategy...Strategy.. I want your strategy! Wait, did you just only used tactics!?
Darkknight

Re: digger

Post by Darkknight »

Tunneler is a good name but i am not so sure if it should be made in a tavern
Calibear

Time to sound the OP Sirens

Post by Calibear »

I would like to put it in mercenaries' tavern so players will decrease their focus on capturing TCs (A better mentality and approach on strategy)
You can read the topic "Mercenaries, the building, the hiring and the cost"
Let's add some special feature in this unit:
The player will select one wall for target.
The skill "Crumble" allows the Tunneller/Tunneler to destroy other walls (1 tile near the target wall)

Its going down for real! :lol: 8-)
Last edited by Calibear on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

I like the "crumble" idea but i dont think it should destroy the nearby walls and just do very high damage (maybe 40?)
Calibear

Yeah, the OP Siren nearly deafen me XD

Post by Calibear »

You're right mate, Let's leave a little hp for balance.
I really went too much as the OP Sirens were too loud. Hahaha :lol:

But anyways, were digging in the topic. Let's see what others say to this 8-)
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

Made stats. Please give suggestions to make it better.
Cost 3
Hp 12
Attack 3
Range 1
No armor/pierce armor
Speed 4
Sight 5
Action 1
Spell resistance 0%
Built in taverns
Destroys any type of building in one hit (does not kill alive units and non building type not alive units like catapults). Tunneler also gets killed.
Nearby (1 tile away) buildings/unit gets 40 damage from falling stones from the buildings.
Archers have 50% bonus against it.
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

I like the idea, but Its already tough to defend against rams trebuchets and all the other siege equipment. Walls are almost completely unused already, and towers crumble like paper beneath the catapult/heavy-catapult/ram/assassin/trebuchet onslaughter of terrifying destructive destruction. Won't this make defense almost impossible?
Last edited by ejm29 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't care who I have to step on on my way down."
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

But they can be easily killed. Archers will have bonus against it so it will be easily killed by archers.
Calibear

Havent seen an impenetrable defense?

Post by Calibear »

ejm29 haven't seen the Thickest WALLS yet.
Didnt you see the STONE WALLS on some Campaigns and FAN maps?
Those walls have 1000 ARMOR and 1000 PIERCE ARMOR. Sieges and Dat ASSassin can't break those. And we want those to be break by Tunnelers!
By the laws of Physics, no walls will remain standing in the face of Tunnelers.
They are nearly as genius as engineers as accounted in history.

Try using your sieges on Gray bricky stone walls, you will not see any target circles on them. :lol:
8-) Peace and Check Mate.
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

Yes, but in a game with "fog" enabled, you could load the digger into a cart or ram. It could be at the opponents defense structures before the archers have a chance.
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

But most of those walls (in my experience) are placed there because there indestructible. And are usually destroyed by a trigger. Destroying them with the digger makes little sense, as they are placed to keep the player out until a certain point? (Perhaps im wrong, I don't play many campaigns) :)
Calibear

Defense is possible, you'll see why

Post by Calibear »

In order to get a Tunneler, You need a Money Courier and maybe a wagon
I have my topic "Mercenaries, the building, the hiring and the cost" for you to read the mechanics.
Tunneler can only built by Money Courier+Mercs Tavern (you need both of them)
And before you get to the Mercs Tavern, you might fight against enemy players or allies because of traffic.
BTW the Mercs Tavern Cannot be built by workers.
Mercs Tavern are available on multiplayer.
They are rarer than TCs.
Check it, and Tunnelers are weak and easy to convert (Since they are mercenaries).
I don't see OP here, maybe I will if I sound the OP Sirens.
Calibear

Tunnelers can make our ideas flow better

Post by Calibear »

Yeah Stone Walls are pre existing and removed by triggers. But these walls will provide competition in Multiplayer.
I want to make a map, Each players have their own TCs as usual but I will put a ton of TCs at center of the map and its surrounded by these walls so no one can reach it easily unless they compete for the Mercs Tavern first.
More strategy required= Better Match= Better Mentality for Players.

Also what if New Players want to play Multiplayer? These Mercenaries will help the gemless and Poor Players. (I will request for Money Couriers to be easily buy in upragdes or maybe free if possible)
COOLguy

Re: Tunnelers can make our ideas flow better

Post by COOLguy »

Calibear wrote:I want to make a map...

These Mercenaries will help the gemless and Poor Players. (I will request for Money Couriers to be easily buy in upragdes or maybe free if possible)
You are being a bit ridiculous. I see a whole page and multiple topic threads dedicated to change the game so that you can build a map. ejm29 is very right about the "stone walls" and their function.

If you are wanting to make maps and don't see exactly the type of unit you want to use, make a hero unit. Don't change the mechanics of the entire game just to suit a few quick ideas.

Poor Players: the gap between 'new' players and 'old' players is not so much an account of GEMs. The gap is: old players know how to play the game, and NEW new players don't. You can get more than 3 times the amount of GEMs needed for all the upgrades just by playing campaigns. And how will mercenaries help these poor GEMless players? (mercenary = fighting for money btw) I see that 'old' players will also be able to use these.
Thanks!
Josh
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

Yes the stone walls are used to keep the player out of a certain area. It shpuld not be destroyed with a tunneler.
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

ejm29 wrote:Yes, but in a game with "fog" enabled, you could load the digger into a cart or ram. It could be at the opponents defense structures before the archers have a chance.
Maybe we can not alow tunnelers to enter carts or rams.
Calibear

Digging the digger

Post by Calibear »

I'm sorry as you find me ridiculous. I'm not trying to change the entire game.
Yes, the mercenaries are fighting for money and the mercenary tavern can be accesed by both new and old players.
Yes, the stone walls are used to keep players in a certain area but the mercenary and the tavern is only available for multiplayer (Not in campaigns and FAN maps)
Yes, you just saw multiple threads of mine but I think I'm misunderstood.

I'm really sorry but no, I'm not trying hard to fit the ideas comes out from me.
The money courier is least used by players so I'm trying to make it useful again.
After all, the digger is still Darkknight's idea. I just suggest a better name and also his idea is good. I dont want to throw these ideas out so im finding out a way.
We all know the walls are somewhat ineffective since there are a lot of units that have bonus against it. The walls are good vs Ai but not on players so I'm thinking maybe a buff on it at multiplayer (I don't know if the upragdes in adv center isn't enough).

I'm really terribly sorry, I might not thinking through as you may be.
Calibear

Post by Calibear »

Darkknight wrote:
ejm29 wrote:Yes, but in a game with "fog" enabled, you could load the digger into a cart or ram. It could be at the opponents defense structures before the archers have a chance.
Maybe we can not alow tunnelers to enter carts or rams.
Let's see if that could balance the tunnelers.
The Merc tavern is not built by workers and should not be near to any TC (So we can reduce the external geographic factor)
If we all started on Multiplayer on Fog, we will create scouts first. I think we all want to secure the Merc Tavern before other players do. That would reduce the chance of any money courier to get into there as threat is present. If they do hire one, you might easily kill it with a speedy light cav.
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

That will make scouts more useful. It is a great idea.
Calibear

Post by Calibear »

Its like hitting two stones with one bird (Chuck Norris)
So I can get my shades back 8-) (Yeahhhhhh!)
Calibear

That is why it is a great idea

Post by Calibear »

It is your idea Darkknight, I see gold in your idea so I want to make it great.
As much as possible, I'm trying my best so I can make use of least used units.

P.S I'm sending this post via flying scout (Hawk/Eagle).
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

Darkknight wrote:Maybe we can not alow tunnelers to enter carts or rams.
I think that would complete solve the problem :) apart from that, it looks like a great idea :D
HokanPL

Saboteur

Post by HokanPL »

Stats similar to Worker. He cannot build anything but he can capture enemies' buildings like Barracks, Stables etc. Maybe damaged buildings, with 10 or less health. When he captures the structure, he will die like Assassin while attacking
ejm29

Re: Saboteur

Post by ejm29 »

Sounds like a great idea! But I think the name needs a little work. As they dont actually sabotage as such :)
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

There was another similar idea. I still don't like the idea of being able to capture buildings especially unit creating "factory" ones. I might change my mind, but right now my opinion is that it is a bad idea.
Thanks!
Josh
HokanPL

Post by HokanPL »

CoolGuy, so I thought about damaged buildings.

Or maybe only neutral buildings could be capturable?

Daniel, is it possible? Maybe we are talking about thing which cannot be implemended? :P
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

it can be, but there is a dicussion about this topic somewhere, please link it here so i can merge them.
HokanPL

Post by HokanPL »

ejm29 wrote:Sounds like a great idea! But I think the name needs a little work. As they dont actually sabotage as such :)
Surely not Engineer :D

Hmmm... Dominator? Hegemon? not good too I think
TheBluePhoenix

Wall digger

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Historically, some soldiers tried to dig tge ground near a wall/fortress/etc so that the foundation of the structure weakens and eventually the building land slided. So i suggest a unit which would do this. Now all this happened real fast compared to other ways of making a bldg fall. So i suggest this unit have 50000% bonus against all structures
Stats:
Health 8(very weak. Needs to be protected)
Attack 0(uhh it should just be able to fell a bldg.not much of a fighter)
Speed 4(carried nothing except a pickaxe)
Sight 3
No armours etc

I know it needs much changes so please suggest!
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

Return to “Unit - melee infantry”