Moving Structures - IMPLEMENTED

Sunrise Samurai

Moving Structures - IMPLEMENTED

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

In a bug report post I made, I joked about forestwalk being applicable to buildings and if we were going to start having buildings that can get up and walk like elf buildings in Warcraft 3. Daniel thought it would be a fun idea and suggested I make a topic on this, so here it is. I would say some forms of mobile production building could be interesting to use, especially for slower units like infantry. A training wagon, for example, could produce basic swordsmen, spearmen, and archers in a human setting while having the 5 movement and 3 carrying capacity of a wagon. This would make for very adaptable strategies that keep production close to the front lines and reduce the convoy of units that any map eventually develops into when early buildings are no longer close enough for their units to reach the front in a reasonable time span. In elves, something like an ent nurse, which would be say a 2x2 size unit with 2 movement in itself, could allow the production of ent warriors and demolishers closer to the front lines. This is something I have noticed the elves have a hard time with is getting these heavy hitters somewhere to do some good, since they can only be produced in TCs that will be far away from the battle by the time the 7 turn production time finishes. If these are produced on front line TCs, any reasonable player will try to capture the TC even if they cannot hold it to interrupt its production. Honestly speaking, I don't think undead have any problems getting newly produced units to the front lines, as many of their newly produced come from the corpses they raise right on the front lines already. Orcs can also settle this problem with a hamletback and summoning dragons, so they get both weak and strong units. Anyone have any ideas on this topic?
The glorious sun rises again
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Moving Structures

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i made first one: the elf bridge can move 1 tile per turn.

and i like the ELF idea if a "building" that is an ENT itself and can move 1 or 2 tiles per turn. (i think 1 is ok for starters).
and here the player can train ent warriors or ent demolishers.

what do u think?

any image suggestion for such "'building?"
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i could not stand to put the ent trainer ent into the game.
image fairly ok, tell me your opinions!

thanks!
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

give us gems to buy the ent trainer and then we could give our opinion :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok, send me exact usernames so i can give gems.
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

I like this plan! Elligost
:lol:
"I don't care who I have to step on on my way down."
Sunrise Samurai

Ok. These are awesome changes. The elf bridge feels alive and growing as it stretches out from one building place to the other side, and the ent trainer allows elves to build more than archer hordes now. It also frees up TCs to build more varied units than wizards or ents for up close action. The movement on it is an amazing ability, since it ensures ents are close to the fight on training. It is vulnerable to catapult fire though, dying in one shot, so caution is advised.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ejm29 wrote:I like this plan! Elligost
:lol:
ok, there!
Sunrise Samurai

One issue. The AI doesn't use the ent trainer. I know it won't use moving buildings to good effect, but it should be able to use them as regular buildings. Maybe have them attempt to flee if enemies are within 5 squares of it.
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

Exact nickname, Pepe jejeje

Let's use the moving structures!

PS: im starting to like more the AoF than the AoS
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

I really like the ent trainer tree. It looks like a hollowed out tree and fits right in. It's a great addition the elves needed and definitely helps with getting those heavy hitters to the front. That being said, I think the elf warriors and swordsman take one turn too long to train given how weak they are. They are killed outright by *counter attack damage* from knights of the undead variety. Three turns is too long for such a weak unit I feel. Thoughts, anyone?
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

I agree, whenever I play as elves I always end up making archers and wizards due to the weakness of there swordsman. But I think decreasing the creation time will change the elves into a "swarm" style unit. maybe increase the attack/defense stats instead?
"I don't care who I have to step on on my way down."
Ness

Post by Ness »

Elf warriors stats are good but elf swordsman is almost useless because it has lower than warrior and warrior has bonus vs cavalry. Only thing where swordsman is better is attack vs mega buildings.
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Ness wrote:Elf warriors stats are good but elf swordsman is almost useless because it has lower than warrior and warrior has bonus vs cavalry. Only thing where swordsman is better is attack vs mega buildings.

This. I completely agree with this. And threes even less incentive to use elven swordsman against buildings because: 1) druids can summon ants, 2) one trained ent is significantly stronger and tanky'er than swordsman.

Also, I don't like the fact elven swordsmen(women) don't have a shield. XD. Just personal taste though.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

elf swordsman: ok! i agree too, but please discuss it on its own topic, and suggest specific stat changes, and drop image modifications if you can do that - thanks!
Sunrise Samurai

Ok, back on topic. For the ent trainer, can we give it say double the hp, 5 attack, 2 movement, and 10 cost to make it better equipped to deal with the front lines? Also, please at least make the ai use it like a normal building. Right now it doesn't use ents, leaving it as just a swarm of weaker elves.
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Sunrise Samurai wrote:Ok, back on topic. For the ent trainer, can we give it say double the hp, 5 attack, 2 movement, and 10 cost to make it better equipped to deal with the front lines? Also, please at least make the ai use it like a normal building. Right now it doesn't use ents, leaving it as just a swarm of weaker elves.
The AI in general needs a huge buff. No race AI uses their great buildings units, elves don't use druids spells, and orcs also never train armored orc warriors.

I really like your suggested stats for the Tree trainer though. Might need to draw some arms on it if it's going to be able to attack though. ;D
Sunrise Samurai

I think having a factory building able to protect itself could be useful, especially when it has to skirt back and forth to be close to the front but not in the line of fire.

The AI is a whole different can of worms. It may be possible to program certain locations to build great buildings map by map, as some maps have perfect places for them, but most of its flaws are impossible to correct without making it overly complicated or having it cheat more than it already does. Perhaps once a proper upgrade system is in place for each race, upgrades can be triggered to be "researched" over time without having the turns taken or even needing the right buildings.

Return to “Archived - Elven Units, Buildings”