Different projectiles for the catapult and trebuchet.

Anchar

Different projectiles for the catapult and trebuchet.

Post by Anchar »

Why not add different projectile technologies to people? My ideas:
1) A burning projectile sets fire to buildings has a recharge of 2-3 turns available for the trebuchet.
2) The corpses of animals as in the Stronghold game, infects creatures with poison in the area, available for a catapult. Recharge in 1-2 turns.
3) Metal shell - deals increased damage to buildings but is deprived of an area attack for catapults. Used by catapult and trebuchet reload 4-5 turns.
4) Bomb - explodes and sets fire to everything in the zone. Available for trebuchet and catapult. Cooldown 5 Turns

You can also break catapult shells by materials such as stone shells, lead, steel.
Gral.Sturnn

Re: Different projectiles for the catapult and trebuchet.

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

Sounds good it could work as a spell but that woulndt break balance?
~Gral.Sturnn
Anchar

Post by Anchar »

Considering that these will be studied in a special technology building (each separately) and given the recharge of these skills, I believe that this will not affect the balance too much. This will make the catapults more interesting. Orcs have cannons that shoot explosive goblins, so why can't humans have a logical projectile system.
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

Makes absolute sense wonder what others might think
~Gral.Sturnn
Savra

Post by Savra »

I think flaming projectiles could be doable.

Just give it the ability to enchant burning itself. (signifying them lighting the ammunition on fire)

If I remember correctly, the catapult at one time had a aoe burning weapon after you researched the aoe tech. But that's if my memory serves correctly.

The metal shells, I believe are no more then it's current ammunition if you look at the techs.

The disease idea is being used for undeads catapults.

The bomb sounds more like a dwarf ability over humans, the reason goblins have it is because they often times try and copy dwarven inventions or even steal their stuff.

Burning ammunition for humans will work well with the catapults aoe attack.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Not everything can be done at the moment. For example you can't make a unit change its bonuses.

Humans in that setting won't get gunpowder based units. In case of goblins and gnomes it is mostly a reference to warcraft where goblins and gnomes are the best inventors (although dwarves and gnomes have a more solid technology while goblins are more prone to self destructing stuff and self sacrifice).

Special ammunitions can be made in a different way:
1) A burning projectile sets fire to buildings has a recharge of 2-3 turns available for the trebuchet.
That should be better for the catapult.
I'd make that like a "light up ammo" effect. It would basically give the burning weapon effect for one turn (so you light your ammo on turn 1 and shoot it on turn 2. It will be more useful when the catapult gets powerrange 2).
2) The corpses of animals as in the Stronghold game, infects creatures with poison in the area, available for a catapult. Recharge in 1-2 turns.
It might use a corpse the same way of undead's planned ability but I think we might just leave that chance only for undeads' corpse flinger (that won't take all the siege upgrades that the human catapult already gets).
3) Metal shell - deals increased damage to buildings but is deprived of an area attack for catapults. Used by catapult and trebuchet reload 4-5 turns.
It can't be done currently if not as an activated ability (so it will have a fixed range and won't benefit from range increases.
I'm not particularly in favour of that ability as humans already increase their sieges' attack by using the "heavy projectiles" ability and that is basically an alternative ammo that is a heavy projectile as well.
4) Bomb - explodes and sets fire to everything in the zone. Available for trebuchet and catapult. Cooldown 5 Turns
I think it is not needed if we make 1 and bombs are actually based on gunpowder.
Age of Fantasy design leader

Return to “Human Technologies”