Attack: 8 dmg
Health: 15 hp
Armor: 2
Trained: archery, TC
Icon not found(
ollie444

Re: New unit: rifleman

Post by ollie444 »

I think having a rifleman would ruin the medieval "feel" to the game. The tie fighter is a kind of Easter egg, and no one really uses it, but I fear this will be used too much.
However your idea would be good in strategic terms, so I understand your thinking. Maybe you could use a different name, but same statistics?
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Actually, after the crusades by the Roman Catholic Church, trade with the Orient, namely the area of modern day China, increased dramatically. Gunpowder was invented previously by the Chinese, and firearms were experimented with. So while there were early guns in the "medieval" era, these where horribly inaccurate, could be blocked by a shield, and cumbersome to load and fire. Even in the time of the conquistadors, the guns were so bad, that there swords were more use than their guns.
Thanks!
Josh
DooM223

Post by DooM223 »

Sorry guys, vad know english :(
balint

Post by balint »

maybe if they have chanche to destroy themselves. you know, that the gubpowder were very dangerous in the vegining.
This is Hungary and winter is coming.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

DooM223 wrote:Sorry guys, vad know english :(
Sorry. Basically, there were guns, but those stats are WAY op for them. ie First guns were worse than arrows.
Thanks!
Josh
Ness

Post by Ness »

Maybe gun powder technology should be in aos. Researhing it should take 8-10 turns and only place where it could be researched should be advancement centre. It would make advancement centre more useful.

gun powder unlocks three units and they are

Rifleman cost 2, 11hp, speed 2, power 7, very bad accuracy, armour piercing very high
Cannon cost 10-14, speed 1, power 15, very bad accuracy, very high bonuses to buildings
Cannon ship same as cannon but ship and have more hp and its speed is 2
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Rifleman is a bit too modern for this setting, older kind of guns are more fit
Age of Fantasy design leader
Ness

Post by Ness »

Musketeer?
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

that would be better :D
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

I hate to say this, but no. Just no.

The topic of primitave guns have been brought up many times before. YES they are historically accurate and YES they were absolutely horribly fair weapons, but Daniel has already said there will be no guns in this game.That was made pretty clear last time gunpowder was mentioned.

Has everyones mind changed about this recently though? Because this is just past experience. :|
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

yes we are opening to inaccurate gun weapons - in an other topic i told them to suggest images and unit stats and we will see.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Well the Tanegashima (in the infantry category) is essentially a primitive form of gunman
Take a look at it
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Ahh, ok, so we are possibly gonna have primitive guns?

In that case, yes. Just yes :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
ollie444

Post by ollie444 »

Could there be an option for this when making a map or game, allow gunpowder. Because there are people like me who hate gun strategy.
RiverRaider 1097

Post by RiverRaider 1097 »

I agree with Ollie, I don't think it belongs in the 0 upgrade games maybe 10 upgrade games along with the tie fighter X)
and remember,wherever your at,there you are
silentz27

Post by silentz27 »

Musketeer is the better name and this is better to create in the castle
Have a nice day everyone
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

After reading about Musketeers in Wikipedia, I think they would be an appropriate unit for the Medieval era. The Tanegashima Ashigaru is a Japanese musketeer. According to Wikipedia, "The tanegashima seems to have been based on snap matchlocks that were produced in Portuguese India, at the armory of Goa (a colony of Portugal since 1510)." Since we implemented this powder based soldier, I think another unit with different attributes is appropriate.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

The Musketeer was used historically to attack War Elephants in India. I think it would be nice to have a ranged infantry unit to counter attack this powerful unit and other cavalry units. I agree there should be a relatively high degree of inaccuracy to their shots.

Suggested stats: Cost 4, Hp 16, Attack Power 5, Range 5, Armor 1, Pierce Armor 1, Speed 3, Sight 7, Action/Turn 1/1, Spell Resistance 0%, Size 1x1, Builders: TC & Castle
Bonus: Same as for the Lancer
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Would this need the Gunpowder Tech?

How does 40% for the miss sound?

I could see this unit's use. :)
Thanks!
Josh
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I think the inaccuracy should be based on the speed of the target, similar to the catapult.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

After thinking about it, yes we should have a Gunpowder Tech, probably 6 turns like Ballistics.

The inaccuracy based on the speed of the target, say 10% x the speed. Targets with a speed of 2 would be 20% chance of a miss, and so on. That would balance out the added bonuses for shooting at cavalry. Also it makes sense that a musket is more accurate than a catapult.
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

When it comes to the Middle Ages, I prefer *strongly* to keep gunpowder out of it. I know it was around at the time, but I prefer my games to be all about the melee, crossbows, and standard boss.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

To keep the medieval feel we should stick with something like an "arquebusier". A gunman with cuirass

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Here's my attempt at recreating Alexander82's Arquebusier in pixel art.
arquebusier_1.png
arquebusier_1.png (4.06 KiB) Viewed 8839 times
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

You should try to make it more "slim"
Also try altering a little bit proportions, other game units haven't realistic proportions
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i suggest starting from existing units - much easier modifying them than drawing a brand new.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Based on Daniel's suggestion, I started from Alexander82's image of the Tanegashima Ashigaru that was implemented.
I still like the name musketeer, even if he is using an arquebus as a weapon.
Here is my revised image.
musketeer_1.png
musketeer_1.png (1.18 KiB) Viewed 8811 times
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

Wanderer wrote:Based on Daniel's suggestion, I started from Alexander82's image of the Tanegashima Ashigaru that was implemented.
I still like the name musketeer, even if he is using an arquebus as a weapon.
Here is my revised image.
musketeer_1.png
You may want to try: thinning out (reducing the height) of the hand cannon; removing his sword; thinning the feather; darkening the pixels on the top edge of the border of the feather; also, remove all the pixels around the sides of his head (just erase them), that might give him more of a medieval look. As it is, he still looks Japanese. Just my thoughts.

I made a few edits on your image; will post when I get home to show what I meant; take it to use as you please, or leave it. Just trying to help. ::)
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I made some changes, based on your suggestions.
musketeer_2.png
musketeer_2.png (1.04 KiB) Viewed 8804 times
How does it compare to yours?

Return to “IMPLEMENTED - Ranged”