New transport logic

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
Midonik

New transport logic

Post by Midonik »

There were many discussions about if transport should be able to carry cavalry, elephants or catapults. They never came to conclusion, but many said it will be good if, for example, cavarly would take 2 place and catapults 3. But that cloudn't be done because that would need coding and stuff. I think I found a way to do it with JSONs only. We cloud give a transports an albitly to transform: one "infantry" version will be able to carry only infantry and would have normal, 3 carry capacity. Second, "cavarly" version would have, for example, 2 carry capacity, and cloud carry cavarly only (or maybe cavarly and inf?), third would have one carry capacity and cloud carry only catapults/trebuchets (or again, maybe cavarly, inf and catapults/trebuchets?) That's just example to show you what I mean, I will let you find best solution, but that's how I think that could be fixed. What do you think? Will that work out?
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
Sunrise Samurai

Re: New transport logic

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

It's a bit cumbersome, but it seems to work for aos. Aof might not, since not all races even have a wagon right now, but I think that issue could be settled quickly if we decided to go this route.
The glorious sun rises again
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Midonik wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:57 am There were many discussions about if transport should be able to carry cavalry, elephants or catapults. They never came to conclusion, but many said it will be good if, for example, cavarly would take 2 place and catapults 3. But that cloudn't be done because that would need coding and stuff. I think I found a way to do it with JSONs only. We cloud give a transports an albitly to transform: one "infantry" version will be able to carry only infantry and would have normal, 3 carry capacity. Second, "cavarly" version would have, for example, 2 carry capacity, and cloud carry cavarly only (or maybe cavarly and inf?), third would have one carry capacity and cloud carry only catapults/trebuchets (or again, maybe cavarly, inf and catapults/trebuchets?) That's just example to show you what I mean, I will let you find best solution, but that's how I think that could be fixed. What do you think? Will that work out?
No
Sunrise Samurai wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:36 am It's a bit cumbersome, but it seems to work for aos. Aof might not, since not all races even have a wagon right now, but I think that issue could be settled quickly if we decided to go this route.
No

We need better logic than this. Waiting 3 turns to transform a wagon so something can enter it is silly. Of course we could give him 3 or 5 actions but what if someone transforms from infantry wagon to cavalry to siege? That would kill at least 2 units. Yes there might be not anybody dumb enough to do this anyway. And you guys should know that we need new coding to improve this game, sooner or later, adding new units without inside changes ain't cutting it. It is very possible to have 1 unit take 2 or 3 spaces we just need Daniel to do it. I would even exclude some units completely from the wagon like Siege Ram which can carry other units.
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Why do you think you will need to "wait three turns to transform a wagon get something enter it"? Isn't it possible to have a unit two of more transform options, so it always can transform into rest possibilities using one action? About that killing stuff... I worried that that cloud work like that, but it could as well leave the units unchanged (or just crash as hell...). Well, sonner or later cleaver engoun people will figure out to not do that, as you said, but I agree it's not perfect option.
About the new coding, that's a lot of work, but maybe that's better solution. But I think this can be good engoun, and thanks to that we can save Daniel's work time for more essential things.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

We need new coding to further improve the game. That's just it. Meddling with same codes all over and over again won't turn out good. This slight change will drastically change and balance the gameplay.
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.

Return to “Gameplay & UI”