gates should be able to garrison units

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
link1

gates should be able to garrison units

Post by link1 »

try to use cataoults or balistas
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Re: gates should be able to garrison units

Post by DoomCarrot »

I always thought walls in general should be able to garrison a unit. Gates should too imo.

It would also help make walls more useful + add more differences between them and palisades
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok, we can run a vote on it. but specify which knd of units needs to be able to be in/on a wall.
thanks
Detros

Post by Detros »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:ok, we can run a vote on it. but specify which knd of units needs to be able to be in/on a wall.
thanks
What about this?

Units allowed to be be garrisoned also in walls:
  • ranged
  • ground (no warship, no cannon ship)
  • not mounted (no horse archer, no chariot archer, no elephant archer)
that means: skirmisher, archer, poison archer, fire archer, longbowman, slinger, axe thrower, catapult, ballista, trebuchet (all with their higher tiers, like crossbowman)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

good
(or we can make a wall upgrade that is able to hol such units, lets vote for the ideas)
samuelch

Post by samuelch »

Tech: Murder-hole
Allows units to garrison inside walls.
Cost:6 turns.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

murder hole was something different as i know :)
Detros

Post by Detros »

samuelch wrote:Tech: Murder-hole
Allows units to garrison inside walls.
Cost:6 turns.
Call it just Man the walls.
samuelch

Post by samuelch »

Detros wrote: Call it just Man the walls.
That's better. I think murder-hole will only increase attack +1 for everyone garrisoned.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

I disagree that walls should be able to hold siege weapons. First off, it is historically unrealistic, siege weapons were generally built on tops of towers. However, it could also make sieges super impossible...

I think siege weapons should only be allowed in towers, but ranged and infantry should be able to go on walls.

Also, I think units should only be able to get onto a wall through a tower or gate. For instance, if you have 3 lone walls, units can not get onto or off of them, but if you build a gate or tower adjacent to one of those walls, the units can exit/enter the walls via the towers or gates.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

I agree with DoomCarrot on this
Epic Gamer Moment!
Detros

Post by Detros »

DoomCarrot wrote:Also, I think units should only be able to get onto a wall through a tower or gate. For instance, if you have 3 lone walls, units can not get onto or off of them, but if you build a gate or tower adjacent to one of those walls, the units can exit/enter the walls via the towers or gates.
Sounds interesting. Are gates used much? It could help them a bit. I hardly use them in SP and in MP I so far play just Core, without gates.
I guess, units on walls won't get any healing and be visible, like with bridges?
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Yes, to everything. :)
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

What about "embrasures" ?
Age of Fantasy design leader
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

What is an embrasure?
Detros

Post by Detros »

Alexander82 wrote:What about "embrasures" ?
That could work, highlighting that "only ranged units allowed".
DoomCarrot wrote:What is an embrasure?
In military architecture, an embrasure is the opening in a crenellation. Similar names are a loophole, an arrow loop or an arrowslit. (Wikipedia)
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Age of Fantasy design leader
tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

I think these gate and wall need to be another type units. It may cause some problems in some campaigns if just add stats into original walls/gates.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Oh, well I don't see how that is different than a wall... I always imagined that is what the walls would look like anyways :lol:
jboer2

Post by jboer2 »

I agree with doom carrot in that Seige units should not be allowed to go on top of the walls. Archers and infantry units only.

I like the idea of having access only through gates and towers/castles as well however, units atop the walls should be susceptible to damage. For example, units atop the walls can be damaged by ranged units only but seige and infantry units will damage the wall itself.

Lastly, if a wall is destroyed, is the unit atop it destroyed as well or not?
Thus it may be know that the leader of armies is the arbiter of the people's fate, the one on whom it depends whether the nation shall be in peace or in peril.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Hm, those are actually some good questions. Personally, I think it would be a little weird to kill the units on the wall, and based on other buildings in the game, units "probably" shouldn't die when the wall collapses. However, I'm not very opinionated on those points, what does everyone else think?
Detros

Post by Detros »

jboer2 wrote:For example, units atop the walls can be damaged by ranged units only but seige and infantry units will damage the wall itself.
I don't think there is similar "two possible targets at one tile, target selected depending on the type of attacking unit" mechanism currently in the engine.

Currently, even units atop bridges can't be directly damaged, you attack the bridge instead. With units on walls being attackable the "target is in TC, damage unit vs. target is in any player build building, damage building" difference would get quite complicated. Especially if it is named similarly to "arrow slits", those were made specially so you cna shoot down from walls and can hardly me shot yourself.
jboer2

Post by jboer2 »

Detros wrote:Especially if it is named similarly to "arrow slits", those were made specially so you cna shoot down from walls and can hardly me shot yourself.
I agree that arrow slits were made for that purpose. I was thinking more a a unit on top of a wall as opposed to inside it. If we're going with arrow slits then the unit can't really be targeted.
Thus it may be know that the leader of armies is the arbiter of the people's fate, the one on whom it depends whether the nation shall be in peace or in peril.
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

DoomCarrot wrote:I always thought walls in general should be able to garrison a unit. Gates should too imo.

It would also help make walls more useful + add more differences between them and palisades
I agree with this. It is a very realisric suggestion amd WOULDA further differentiate between palisades amd stone walls, as well as making them more useful.

Nothing sucks more than walls getting rekt because shielders are tanking arrows amd you cant melee.

Also, whats up with the palisade wall? If you add connecting pieces, the top most piece forms a cross section, it jist looks terrible.

Also, would it be doable to add to the stone wallls to make them visually connect to fortress towers, etc? Because it also looks really bad with a gap between walls and towers.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

I agree palaside connections look kind of weird still lol, but as for towers....

I usually build the towers behind my walls :P
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Although I agree that sieges can't enter wall but because of 1 speed they can't even pass through gates so I think they can b garrisoned in gates but can't attack from gates and if gate (or wall) is destroyed garrisoned unit will survive
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Wasn't that the original reason as to why he suggested that sieges can be garrisoned inside gates?
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

So the idea is all ranged infranty except sieges can be garrisoned in and move along walls and the only way to enter is through gates or a tower adjacent to the wall and sieges ( or any other unit) can enter gate but cannot attack and sieges cannot enter wall from gate also the ability to unlock garrison in walls can be called arrow slit and researched in tc or advancement centre and no unit can move along wall until this tech is researched. So gates will have a single garrison space from the beginning but wall will have single space after the tech is researched. Did I summarize it right? This will be so awesome and realistic I can't wait for it to be implemented 8-)

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

But wait I just remembered that walls can also be connected diagonally but soldiers can only move along adjacent walls how to solve this problem?

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

I guess the only way around this problem is to build a tower adjacent to diagonally connected walls to make a pathway for garrisoned units, or simply just make a wall adjacent to the two walls

Return to “Gameplay & UI”