Trigger effect - restore unit movement

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
TheBluePhoenix

Trigger effect - restore unit movement

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

In historical maps , there are techniques, waves etc..
In AOS , historical maps are boring because the ai ends up reaching the wrong place at the wrong time or moves from the area it should be present in throughout the game.
So i suggest the following trigger-
1. All units of type X remain in area " " to " " throughout the game
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: A historical problem

Post by Stratego (dev) »

you can use disable to prevent unit being moved somewhere else you dont want to. and on an event you can enable them.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

I think this is what he is saying:

He wants the AI to have a trigger based strategy. So for instance, once you are occupied with infantry, the enemy sends cavalry to flank in a double envelopment or something, while archers move to a fortified area and launch arrows.

However, the AI by itself will just charge straight in as soon as the units are enabled. So I think he is asking for a trigger to control AI movements rather than a simple "disable/charge."

If this is what heis asking, I agree it would be massively helpful. Even a simple "set waypoint at x,y for units in area x,y" would be great. :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:you can use disable to prevent unit being moved somewhere else you dont want to. and on an event you can enable them.
I would do this but then the units dont attack or counter attack
I also suggest another trigger where in all units of player nr1 of type X reach the desired area in nr 2 turns from the fullfillment of the condition.
This trigger will help in moving a particular ai team to the right place at the right time

You may suggest i use the trigger change posn. Of unit to area " " to " " . But presently, it is valid only for a single unit
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

If you want to know what i mean, then try searching about the battle of hydaspes and read how it happened and then trry playing my map. Though i have tried to replicate that battle completely, even then just because the wrong thing happens at the wrong time it becomes extremely boring to play

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

can you write in few lines what you expext to happen and what happens instead?

thanks
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:can you write in few lines what you expext to happen and what happens instead?

thanks
Sure

OVERVIEW
There are 2 teams, - greek and indian.
Their armies are seperated by a ferocious river.
The greek army is divided in 2 parts - one under alexander the great and the second under craterus.
The indian army is divided beetween king porus and his son, also named porus.

WAR And Story
Alexander decided to take some cavalry and infantry to cross the river where it was thinnest, while craterus would keep firing with ranged units at the indians. Once alexander crossed the river , king porus send his son to fight them, but was killed and finally alexander's army faced king porus and captured him alive.
This may sound to simple a battle but this is just an overview. For detail check the net.
PROBLEMS I AM FACING-
1. Craterus' army follows alexander's and blocks the thin crossing part of the river
2. Young porus fights with the ranged units in craterus' army instead of moving towards alexander's army

If you feel it to be confusing then just see the posn of all armies in my map and you will get what i mean

TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Did you get it dev ??

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

yes. this is because the AI found a way to the enemy(player) tru that crossing part.

ideas:
do not make it passable by default,
a) make it passably by a worked building a little bridge, this way the AI will not go to the crossing.
b) put there bridges that are player owned, so it will be only passable from player side, the AI again will not go to the shore.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:yes. this is because the AI found a way to the enemy(player) tru that crossing part.

ideas:
do not make it passable by default,
a) make it passably by a worked building a little bridge, this way the AI will not go to the crossing.
b) put there bridges that are player owned, so it will be only passable from player side, the AI again will not go to the shore.
But the crossing is at the far east and craterus' army wanders off a lot from their posn. Historically. And, to be historically correct, there was no bridge, etc on the river. Also , this wont solve the problem with young porus

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

I am not totally understand but what if i make a trigger to enable/disable unit movements for a player, meaning ai will not move any units until you enable it again?

Or to be more fkexible a new kind of disable for units that will disable only movement.

Or maybe an ai kind for any unit that will be
- offensive
- defensive
- patrolling
- etc.

But this latter would need much time and i can not promise it soon.
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:
Or to be more fkexible a new kind of disable for units that will disable only movement.
This is what i am asking for.
But the 'partially disabled' units should
Not be dull like disabled units, they should be bright like normal units.
They should be able to attack , defend , counterattack but not move.

Also if you could make the trigger " change obj posn. To area "" -"" valid for many objects then that would be enough to solve both problems

Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

Change objs position from areaxy to areaxy2
Seems more useful, coupled with the pertial disable
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
HokanPL

Post by HokanPL »

PROBLEMS I AM FACING-
1. Craterus' army follows alexander's and blocks the thin crossing part of the river
2. Young porus fights with the ranged units in craterus' army instead of moving towards alexander's army

So four armies with two teams.
You can modify unit speed in Craterus army to 1 for example. I've started using this trick when I want to hold formation in AI's army. Porus-father - disable them. And trigger if Porus-son dies, every his unit are changing owner to Porus-father and Porus-father army is active.

1. Craterus' army follows Alexander's, but with its' speed has no chance to block the path
2. Porus-son attacks first enemies who are most close to him, so he will ignore Craterus and fight mainly with attacking Alexander
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

HokanPL wrote:PROBLEMS I AM FACING-

So four armies with two teams.
You can modify unit speed in Craterus army to 1 for example. I've started using this trick when I want to hold formation in AI's army. Porus-father - disable them. And trigger if Porus-son dies, every his unit are changing owner to Porus-father and Porus-father army is active.

1. Craterus' army follows Alexander's, but with its' speed has no chance to block the path
2. Porus-son attacks first enemies who are most close to him, so he will ignore Craterus and fight mainly with attacking Alexander
No you dont understand, the map is too large and alexander's army takes too long to reach young porus and craterus' army is too near to his army
Also , the triggers i am suggesting are important as hardeep said hence i am hell bent on their implementation with the modifications dev suggested

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i had no time to test.
but up on server in 20 minutes a new trigger: restore obj movement.

meaning: restores the unit movement to the original value by unit definition.

so you can reduce movement to -100 if you want them be stucked.
and later restore their movement.

Return to “Gameplay & UI”