Diagonal movement/attack

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
kurt278

Diagonal movement/attack

Post by kurt278 »

There is a reason most strategy games use hexagons. Right now, in AoF moving diagonally one tile costs 3 movements points, which for many units is almost their entire movement allowance, and attacking diagonally is only possible for ranged units. Crowded battles in narrow places are quickly immobilized and front units have to slug it out while others just stand (in the way).
I would suggest to make diagonal movement only cost one point, so we get back some of the freedom of maneuver hexagons allow. I'm no developer, but I guess there might be a way for the game engine to detect when a unit is moving diagonally and give it back 2 of the 3 movement points. This would really make bigger battles more fluid and allow quicker flanking.
RiverRaider 1097

Re: Diagonal movement/attack

Post by RiverRaider 1097 »

I like it good idea )
and remember,wherever your at,there you are
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

It only 'costs' 2 movement...
Understand, the speed of a unit determines how many tiles it can traverse each turn, if you only move 1 tile with an ornithopter, it will not be able to move again, even though it has 10 or so speed
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Meh, not so sure I am big on this idea. Thats kind of the point, being able to block units to protect your important guys and all...
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

It would unbalance the game if there was such a sudden and enormous change to the game engine....
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
kurt278

Post by kurt278 »

Hardeep wrote:It only 'costs' 2 movement...
Does it? Given the dots I see it seemed more like 3 to me. :?:
Hardeep wrote:Understand, the speed of a unit determines how many tiles it can traverse each turn, if you only move 1 tile with an ornithopter, it will not be able to move again, even though it has 10 or so speed
That's another choice I don't understand (but can live with).
Anyway my point was about making maneuvers easier.
kurt278

Post by kurt278 »

DoomCarrot wrote:Meh, not so sure I am big on this idea. Thats kind of the point, being able to block units to protect your important guys and all...
Well,you still can, you just need to change your tactics a little... ;)
kurt278

Post by kurt278 »

Hardeep wrote:It would unbalance the game if there was such a sudden and enormous change to the game engine....
"Unbalance"? I don't think so, as I said above it will just force people to change their tactics a little. Which isn't such a huge hurdle, is it.

Now I understand this is the second game in a ever-growing series, and many people hate change; But I think it would be an improvement (I guess you noticed... :mrgreen:).
RiverRaider 1097

Post by RiverRaider 1097 »

After my reply yesterday I looked at the games I am now playing, and realized that diagonal movement would do nothing but speed up the game But...would be awesome on 75x75 map with no obstacles trying to out maneuver your opponent )
and remember,wherever your at,there you are

Return to “Gameplay & UI”