Map Scrolling for Unit Actions

Suggestions about the gameplay, the controls, buttons and so on.
Siyanide

Map Scrolling for Unit Actions

Post by Siyanide »

Hi, I'm new to the forums, so if there's something I'm doing wrong, please let me know :) .

I have a long history of playing turn-based strategy games prior to Age of Strategy, so perhaps my perception of what should be in strategy games may be biased or invalid. But, in any case, I'm gonna give my two cents here and see what you guys think.

Frequently, in turn-based strategy games such as Fire Emblem or Advance Wars, the map would scroll--when visible units on the map that are not owned by you take actions such as moving or attacking--to the unit taking the action. Usually this would only occur with computer enemies and allies, which normally acted quickly enough that one wouldn't be waiting too long until the next player's turn. The camera scrolling is not always necessary since it slows down the game pacing in order to scroll the screen to show unit actions, but sometimes the camera scrolling is useful anyways since it shows the players where enemy units have moved to. There are situations where the player might want to be aware of where units have moved to in the Fog of War, such as when you are looking for enemies but they have just managed to sneak by your units back into the fog.

Since such a feature may be useful, it may not always be necessary, and some may actually be annoyed by its implementation into a game that didn't formerly have it. To that end, the feature would probably be disabled by default, but could be enabled in the Settings menu.
patroid

Re: Map Scrolling for Unit Actions

Post by patroid »

Hi
I dobt really need it but ik what u mean.
I also played aoe aok and therw it was rlly helpful..but in this
Game you know how the ai works..after a while and this way you
Have to prepare for all possibilities so it change a bit the gameplay.

Patroid

Return to “Gameplay & UI”