Falconry

Dagravian

Falconry

Post by Dagravian »

The falconry is an ancient art of training birds of prey such as Falcons, Halks, Harpies and Eagles for hunting and peting, the person who dominates the secrets of the art of falconry and manage to tame one of the mentioned birds is called "Falconer", and some registers say that the relationship of tammers and these exotic companions where firstly noticed between Mongols, more than 6 thousand years ago, so i think it would be a nice adition to the game.

Img Design may vary a lot given at given locations, as many places did developed this hability over the years for need or luxury...

Gameplay wise, i was thinking on something like elven druid from AOF, but adjusted acordly here. No abilities but hunting bird summon and improved base stats... But keeping values for someone of 4 turns.

Also, some other names/upgrades that this could have could be Halker, owl Knight (owl tammers/night hunters, etc.

Hooking this idea... Another thing i want to suggest is a "Falcon nest", a defensive building that would work on the same way as the "wolf's den" from AOF.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
SirPat

Re: Falconry

Post by SirPat »

Harpies?!
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Nice joke :lol:
But i mean real harpies as the (Harpia Harpyja)

Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

:lol: Ever since the first time i've seen that img, I thaught to myself " I'll use bird-man img one day"
I think Falconry would be a "steppe" thing and I dont think having Falcon nest's will be a good addition sounds to AoF imagining a mass of birds coming out to def a base

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Well, this technique was used on all corners of the planet, so topography doesn't matter. While i suggested just a nest, there were several "academies" of falconry in the past and some are still up to this day. So yeah, i can see that bcz it actually happened.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

;) Hmmm.....Sounds Great

Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Made the img for the Falconer and the Falcon

Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

So @Stratego (dev), @Endru1241, can i have the opinions of you guys before i make the nest img? Does these are ok and do i have greenlight for the nest?
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

While the images are great and falconeers indeed should be around in times presented in AoS, I am a little conflicted about their exact use.
Falconry did not have military use - birds of prey can barely fight unarmored man and are incapable to hurt armored armyman - even one only wearing thick clothing.
They were important for providing additional meat on the table, especially useful for finding prey.
It could be imagined, that they could also be trained to look for men and military vehicles/structures, hence scouting function.
Summing up - summoned birds would have to just as weak as scout birds (maybe just image replacement?), so potential falconeer could only be ultimate anti-stealth scout and/or occasionally produce valueables of new type (like fishing ship - maybe meat wagon ?).
As for nest - too fantasy in feeling. More appropriate would be some falconry building.
Function could be similar like mines, but weaker if we include ability to produce scouts.
But exact workings would need to be discussed, tinkered and balanced to not destroy stealth completely.
Age of Strategy design leader
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

In general, this idea came after the idea of rework on the scout bird... So i have this scout/support objective in mind for them, but instead of replacement, i was thinking that expanding flying variables as we got some nice ideas. Since its mainly about same sized birds, they would share similar stats, but tweaked for a more unique end. :)

Inside the falconry we have several types of birds, but their behavior is mostly similar and i was thinking that similar birds could be viewed as skins, and that we could use some other species that weren't used as often for the actual practice, but that shared some relationship with the civilization... Here are some ideas:

- The scout birds - as olws and similar sized birds (small, being stealth and have that fog scan ability)

- Birds of Prey - Falcons/Eagles/Halks (summonable by the falconers, similar stats to scout, but not stealth, it owns a "dive" ability - that could be increased speed or a sort of teleport to a tile on its range)

- Harpies (biggest, strongest, basically the apex of birds of prey...) I think that these could be upgrade of the "birds of prey", but they strong enough to carry 2 to 3 times its own weight, to compare, it could lift-off with sheeps, small mamals, also childs. That makes me think that it could be more than just an upgrade...

About the building... So the it could be another supply chain that generate the meat cart? That's interesting... Well any soldier in the frontline would cry of happiness when eating good food, the full belly is the best boost for morale :lol: , also it would be interesting if we could merge it with the salt cart for improved results. Also, i'm pretty sure that the leather, fur, and other remains from these hunts could be used as fabric material... So what about evolve this building into a sort of tannery?

This building probably will require its own post, but i like that.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

That meat wagon made some engines running in my brain :lol: new Idea When birds or dogs kill a Neutral Unit (actually only animals) it leaves behind a Carcass(a dead body of an animal) then a hunter will collect it, but how you ask haha there will be a new tech called hunting, this will give skirmishers, archers, net throwers, poison archers..... and other stuff like them the ability to make carcasses into food couriers :lol: quite cheesy :lol: and food couriers will be used to pay mercs by 2turns.

In conclusion if we add this there will be food in game but acts as money only and the ways to get food is by hunting land animals or hunting crocs and dolphins using javelins, arrows, nets, and poison

This is not a prank I'm serious this could be a nice addition to game :lol:

Badnorth

Post by Badnorth »

SirPat wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:38 pm That meat wagon made some engines running in my brain :lol: new Idea When birds or dogs kill a Neutral Unit (actually only animals) it leaves behind a Carcass(a dead body of an animal) then a hunter will collect it, but how you ask haha there will be a new tech called hunting, this will give skirmishers, archers, net throwers, poison archers..... and other stuff like them the ability to make carcasses into food couriers :lol: quite cheesy :lol: and food couriers will be used to pay mercs by 2turns.

In conclusion if we add this there will be food in game but acts as money only and the ways to get food is by hunting land animals or hunting crocs and dolphins using javelins, arrows, nets, and poison

This is not a prank I'm serious this could be a nice addition to game :lol:
It is a good idea! To have a hunting tech and food couriers in the game I suggest that the food couriers can also give a buff and negative buffs to units like "Full stomach 80% chance" and "Food poisoning 20% chance" and a slaughter house to produce food couriers. Imho
For newcomers, click here for discord links. Hopefully they aren't expired.
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Well, hard to say, anything able to wield a weapon can be possibly a hunter if given training (aka tech), and to begin we don't have corpses on aos (aside the shipwreck), plus not all maps do have neutral animals as default... So where could we find these animals?

Edit: i actually got an idea but that would require coding... I will make a post for it.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

No, like hunting will be only optional if there are any to hunt in this way there wont be many people with so much training time bosters like you can always train money courier but hunting will be limited by the amount of animals and maybe make mines only buildable on cliffs or mountain sides to limit the usage and reduce that posibility of ultra walls(mines being used as walls) this will make them optional and not that spammed and we dont need a butcher place to make food couriers but we wpuld need only hunting units to make hunting limited and I had an idea before of adding houses you can read it at the structure ideas section its called houses and upgrades in that idea i thought of also having crops

Return to “Unit - melee infantry”