Professional

Rotholz

Professional

Post by Rotholz »

Description: An experienced sellsword that seems to get an edge over any enemy he fights against.

Cost: 2
HP: 30
Attack: 9
Range: 1
Armor: 4
Pierce Armor: 0
Speed: 3
Sight: 5
Action/Turn: 2/1
Spell Resistance: 0%
Size: 1x1
Builders: Town Center, Castle

Requires a money courier every 4 turns to stay loyal

Bonuses: 30% bonus against every unit, siege engine, and structure.
The brave man wins.
Endru1241

Re: Professional

Post by Endru1241 »

With how bonuses work right now giving bonus vs everything is pure waste of CPU. It just makes it 12 power, but with unnecessary calculations.
So it's actually heavy infantry with 30hp, 12x2 attack, 4/0 armor and no bonuses.

Quite similar to Disband Knight 45hp, 15power, 2/2 armor, speed 4 and recently added classic heavy cavalry bonuses (+50% vs infantry, ranged and siege, +100% vs armored siege).

Heavy infantry doesn't have such weakness as cavalry, but he gets lowered hp instead. Lack of bonuses is compensated by 2nd attack plenty.
Only one thing to balance, I think. Disband Knight dissapears after 2 turns. Pay Mercenary ability gives 4 turns (changed recently).
I think Professional should have the same counter on the start.

Other stats are good.
Age of Strategy design leader
Rotholz

Post by Rotholz »

Endru1241 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:18 pm With how bonuses work right now giving bonus vs everything is pure waste of CPU. It just makes it 12 power, but with unnecessary calculations.
So it's actually heavy infantry with 30hp, 12x2 attack, 4/0 armor and no bonuses.
I'm such an idiot, I didn't even realize that I could've just upped the attack a little. I feel like it just needs something to stand out. So, maybe the Professional gets a bonus against infantry, archers and cavalry, but not buildings, to stay true to the description
The brave man wins.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Well, it's not like it changes much - there is much less use of mercenary units near the enemy fortifications, though he will be missing 6 additional damage vs siege.

How do You see the image? Maybe a sketch in 32x32 pixels?
It's very important part of unit.
Rotholz

Post by Rotholz »

Endru1241 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:38 pm Well, it's not like it changes much - there is much less use of mercenary units near the enemy fortifications, though he will be missing 6 additional damage vs siege.

How do You see the image? Maybe a sketch in 32x32 pixels?
It's very important part of unit.
Just to have an overview of how I envision it: Bastard sword, no shield, gambison with a belt, money pouch attached to it. Leather boots, since enemies don't usually aim for your feet. Wanted to go for something well armored, but also something specialized
Attachments
2019-11-21_00.17.56.png
2019-11-21_00.17.56.png (556 Bytes) Viewed 1934 times
The brave man wins.
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

Why does he get 4 armor if he only wears gambison I saylets do some armor math

thight fabric tech give +1/1 armor to peasants and workers/laborers , so here is his +1/1 armor

gambeson has chainmail or plate armor in it.
voulgiers have 2 armor and they wear plate armor with fabric

but some like swordsman with plate armor only gets increased health

my suggestions are:

a.) 1/1 armor increased health

b.) 2/1 armor medium infantry health

Vote😂
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Armor stat in game doesn't correspond fully with physical, real armor. Armor stat sometimes means ability to dodge attacks, e.g. Celt, Ninja.
In this unit, I believe, its his ability to dodge and parry incoming melee attacks. So 4/0 seems acceptable.
Maybe make it 3/0 for balance reasons, but it's not a must.
Rotholz

Post by Rotholz »

Endru1241 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:16 pm Armor stat in game doesn't correspond fully with physical, real armor. Armor stat sometimes means ability to dodge attacks, e.g. Celt, Ninja.
In this unit, I believe, its his ability to dodge and parry incoming melee attacks. So 4/0 seems acceptable.
Maybe make it 3/0 for balance reasons, but it's not a must.
4/0 seems appropriate since gambison is extremely strong + The professional's combat experience as you said it, with his ability to dodge and parry
The brave man wins.
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Rotholz wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:58 am gambison is extremely strong
Not really. Gambeson can be sliced or pierced quite easily. It was used only by poor fighters or under proper armor as it only gives proper protection vs bludgeoning strikes. To provide full protection it was weared under chainmail or later plate armor.
I believe gambeson would give hp only and whole 4/0 is Proffesional ability to parry/dodge.
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

Endru1241 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:50 pm
Rotholz wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:58 am gambison is extremely strong
Not really. Gambeson can be sliced or pierced quite easily. It was used only by poor fighters or under proper armor as it only gives proper protection vs bludgeoning strikes. To provide full protection it was weared under chainmail or later plate armor.
I believe gambeson would give hp only and whole 4/0 is Proffesional ability to parry/dodge.
Have you read about broken lances in the italian wars?

Sounds very similar

How about making this the levek 1 and a upgrade to broken lancer
~Gral.Sturnn

Return to “Unit - melee infantry”