Unit Promotions

Any other ideas that does not fit to the specific categories.
patroid

Re: Unit promotion/leveling system

Post by patroid »

DANIEL??????
Dont like it?

Patroid
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Inside voice, please. ;)
Thanks!
Josh
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

If the system get in i think that every unit should benefit from it. I don't think that system should become the def ault but we might create a growth system that we might use for rpg campaigns.

I fear that might make normal games too complicated, having tw worry for both your unit survival and the enemies veteran
Age of Fantasy design leader
MasterOfStrategy244

Post by MasterOfStrategy244 »

This unit promotion system should be in but it should be optional. Unit should get experience from damage that unit makes and damage that it resist and units that can heal or convert should get experience from healing and converting. Different units should get different amount experience, like spartan should have get less experience when it makes 10 damage than swordsman that makes 10 damage.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I think we might relte experience with unit cost:

To reach the first level a unit should kill an amount of enemies equal to its cost:

A swordman should kill 2
A knight should kill 4
An elephant should kill 8
and so on

For the second level you should hit that number twice

a swordman should kill another 4 unit
A knight 8
an elephant 16
and so on

for the third you have to multiply the cost for 3 and for the fourth you need to make it 4 times

I think it could also be a good way to make cheaper units keep up with stronger one
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Dev will have a tough time implementing and coding all that
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

truestory
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

I think the max level should be 3. Otherwise you might end up with a "superpower" unit :)
"I don't care who I have to step on on my way down."
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

sounds interesting - but i am not sure it would complicate the game too much or not...
(maybe an optional way.. in game setup)
balint

Post by balint »

It would make the game harder. Because you need to fall back with more experienced troops to save them from being destroyed, and replace them temporary with some fresh recruits. It woudl be harder if Ai units would get stronger with time, too :)
This is Hungary and winter is coming.
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

I don't think it would make the game to complicated. Some of the most popular TBS games have implemented unit experience. (Ie, the award winning "Civilization" series) :)
"I don't care who I have to step on on my way down."
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

AI is too stupid to get stronger with time. :)
Thanks!
Josh
silentz27

Post by silentz27 »

this is the most exiting to be implemented because when we have this the games will become more difficult and surely when its lunched i excited to play it and make my army so powerfull
Have a nice day everyone
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

How bout we make this a tech, like in Tzar? Something like 'learning'
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Experienced units

Post by DoomCarrot »

Just an idea:

What if units with possible upgrades (templar, archer, swordsman, pikemen, skirmisher, knight, etc) could upgrade by killing a certain amount of units? For instance, if a swordsman manages to kill 5 units, it automatically upgrades to the next tier. (broad swordsman)

I would understand if Daniel says no, because this is kind of a gameplay changing idea, but I think it would add a lot of strategy. :)

So.... Yay or nay?
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
TheBluePhoenix

Re: Experienced units

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Already posted doom.check the forum
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Re: Experienced units

Post by DoomCarrot »

I searched for "unit experience" but nothing came up :?

I have no idea where that topic is, but a merge would be nice.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

(merged)
please do not open duplicate topics, or if opened please help me with a link to the old topic to be merged - thanks.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Aha, thanks Daniel :)
Ublaz Mad Eyes

Unit Promotions

Post by Ublaz Mad Eyes »

Promotions, when a unit takes towns, destroys buildings/other units it gains XP, once it has a certain amount of XP it can be promoted, choose from promotions that boost attack/HP/armor.
YES, THE DAY WILL COME! HIS EMPEROR'S MOST EXCELLENT MAJESTY WILL CONQUER ALL!!!

NO, I AM NOT CRAZY!!!!!!!!!
Darkknight

Re: Unit Promotions

Post by Darkknight »

There is already another suggestion like this:
http://www.ageofstrategy.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1473
Ublaz Mad Eyes

Post by Ublaz Mad Eyes »

My idea of a promotion system is this. The unit, after each level up, rather than getting an upgrade to all its stats, receives only one, and you choose that one. I.e. you have a swordsman, and he upgrades to level 1. Available would be "shock" (+1 attack), "cover" (+1 pierce armor), "morale" (+1 movement speed), "loyalty" (+1 spell resistance), "impenetrable armor" (+1 armor), and "resiliency" (+5 health). Ranged units would also get "range" (+1 range) and healing units would get "surgeon" (+2 heal rate).
YES, THE DAY WILL COME! HIS EMPEROR'S MOST EXCELLENT MAJESTY WILL CONQUER ALL!!!

DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

That's a cool idea Ublaz! I like that idea a lot. However, I don't think extra move/range should be an upgrade possibility.... Imagine a super hussar with 9 move, or an xbow with 11 range. :lol:

Maybe these upgrades could be limited to 1 or 2 of these upgrades per unit?
Ublaz Mad Eyes

Post by Ublaz Mad Eyes »

I had envisioned that "morale" and "range" were only on later levels. As well, "loyalty" should be +10% spell resistance.

I had an idea, though.

What if, after your units collaborately get a certain amount of experience, a "hero" appears in one of your towns? e.g. Hero Knight, Champion, etc.

Ublaz Mad Eyes

Post by Ublaz Mad Eyes »

I had another idea. What if you had to research a tech to get heroes?

Just an idea.

tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

I think heroes can be hired by using gems in Yes 5 and Yes 10 multip games.Each hero cost 1 gem(one time use).Will be created in one of your town.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Eh, but who plays Yes(?) games? And besides, I would rather use an insta-destroy castle effect rather than a spawn prince effect... :?
FiredClay

Post by FiredClay »

Could someone make a map with triggers that may do just this?
I was thinking that I could do this using unit types by making each unit have multiple triggers that effect upon the specific unit on the destruction of a few enemy units and deactivates other triggers does the same thing which would be the unit's type change to one more powerful.
Once the type changes, it activates another round of triggers that would do the same thing as before but changes the type to a even more powerful unit.

And possibly another and so on.

At least this is how I'd make the leveling system if it was me in the map editor
I like this idea but its way to much work for each unit involved
tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

It is too complex.
I only can be done by triggers if there are only one your unit.Maybe it can be done when any emeny unit die,one stone created.When (objs in area)there have 5,10,15...... stones in area,your unit increase attack.

You also can follow FAN MAP "BOOT CAMP RPG!".That map trigger is very very good.
I think it can be done if you follow it.
Ublaz Mad Eyes

Post by Ublaz Mad Eyes »

Doomcarrot, I play Yes(10) games. I don't use effects, but I really like Tie fighters.

But I don't think it should be done with triggers. I think it should be an option you select while making a campaign or starting a random game. Campaigns created before this feature would have this option off, to avoid confusion.

Return to “Others”