Spear heads bonus against medium foot ANSWERED

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
SirPat

Spear heads bonus against medium foot ANSWERED

Post by SirPat »

If I have a Spear And I have three guys to kill:

A light foot unit

A medium foot unit

A heavy foot unit

What is my spear best against at??? Let's see....

Light foot:
I can imagine a pheasant for example with clothes on if I thrust my spear too his chest that'll deal a heck of dmg cause My spear will pierce through his skin,fat,muscle,tendons,Bones,organs.... with a simple hard thrust on the chest I would have ended my enemies life so I suggest give spearmen and upgrades 50% bonus to light foot too increase spearmans fighting power against pheasants and other light foot units.

Medium foot:
These guys are like steel/iron plating then leather padding/ or clothes thats much more harder to attack using a spear but we can still pierce through that plating and take note medium foot units don't wear armor all araound there body which means we can deal more dmg against them by attacking weakspots so I guess maybe 50% bonus against medium foot

Heavy foot:
......Not gonna say anything.....I did some computations and I suggest 10% bonus which will be:Spreadsheet below(well not really a spreadsheet hehe)
Dmg. Bonus% total. Round up Total dmg
4. 10% 0.4. 0. 4
5. 10% 0.5. 1. 6
6. 10% 0.6. 1. 7

Spearman, Gisarmeman, and Halberdier respectfully In this spproach only stronger Polearms will deal extra dmg against heavy foot and maybe also add to pikeman?maybe¿
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Squirrel5555

Re: Spear heads bonus against medium foot

Post by Squirrel5555 »

if the game was fully realistic spears would beat swords, one of the reasons why spearmen were main battle lines of most armies.
if it was realistic castles wouldnt break because some swordsmen hit it
if it was realistic lancers would be very effective against footmen
if it was realistic units wouldnt do a set amount of damage to other units

but no, this game isnt meant to be realistic and works mostly like a rock paper scissors game, except more complicated

spear beat horse, horse beat sword, sword beat spear
so i dont think making spearmen a counter to swordsmen is a good idea in this case :D makes swordsmen much less limited in use... might as well use spears!
AOD Team - Join Us!
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

Most of the times - I am supporting realism ideas, provided they do not collide with balance and game setting/feel.
But this is not really realism idea.

First of all - AoS is symbolic in many cases.

Swordsman - don't look at the image - he's not meant having only sword as equipment. He's the representation of bulk of an army - main line fighter. He could have some 1 handed pole weapon, like spear, axe or a mace.
Some are also equipped with siege tools, like pickaxes or lines.
The point is - they fight in melee, with shield as important tool. They are trained to fight in melee nd be effective.
Damage is just representation of average fighting strength.

Spearman on the other hand is specialized in fighting on slight range, a meter or two from the enemy. They are trained in anticavalry tactics, not in melee battle.
They may also represent more men (we have to assume 1 unit is sometimes representation of well, military unit).
But much worse in training and defensive equipment, than full-time fighter - swordsmen.
Age of Strategy design leader
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

Well if it was realistic spears are much better front line weapons and better vs horseman which is why it was used so much more commonly than swords. Symbolically though, i understand what you are getting at :D
AOD Team - Join Us!
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

Yeah and the only reason why swords were used all araound the world is because other people used swords I read that from a Journal before the reason why alot of countries have swords is because their enemies have swords and "swords are only good against swords" almost every weapon has an advantage against swords but people still used it.
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
DreJaDe

Post by DreJaDe »

SirPat wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:05 am Yeah and the only reason why swords were used all araound the world is because other people used swords I read that from a Journal before the reason why alot of countries have swords is because their enemies have swords and "swords are only good against swords" almost every weapon has an advantage against swords but people still used it.
It's a handy 2nd weapon.

Normally, a spear is made out of wood. Although it's unlikely to break it still has uncertainty because it's wood. Having a handy weapon that is easy to pick up, light and sharp will be really good to have. Which is the sword.

Return to “Unit balancing”