Slinger changes

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
SirPat

Slinger changes

Post by SirPat »

Slingers should be 1 turn cost :o think about it training a slinger which needs weeks of training is faster than training an archer which needs years or months of practice and come on slingers don't use shields nor bucklers i suggest making slingers into "cheap ranged units" 1 turn cost with lower stats same applies to master slinger

Slinger:
1 turn cost
5-10hp to match with peasant or not

Master slinger:
1 turn cost
+2 hp

I am thinking of slingers to be emergency archers

And we need a new image for the slingers
Cause let's face it he looks like Groot :lol: no offense i'm suggesting just like petardier img but with a sling
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
Endru1241

Re: Slinger changes

Post by Endru1241 »

I agree slinger image should be redesigned - but someone has to do it, and apparently no one has time/skills/idea. There is already topic about that.
Talking about reality - how do You figure how much training is needed for proper sling use? I only found in google something like this
The sling requires enormous skill, one that can generally only be obtained with training from childhood (Hawkins, 1847; Korfmann, 1973; Wise, 1976; Ferrill, 1985)
Most slinger units used in history were specific tribes, so it actually proves requirement of skills.

There is also huge balancing issue - making unit twice as fast in training is too much to just rebalance. Especially making any unit 1 turn.
Making any 1 turn unit is dangerous, as 1-turners can be used as tc occupier (there is many scenarios/maps having few TC just beside each other, randomly generated map can have TC quite close too, especially on tiny maps) and additionally could be amassed quickly.
Any ranged unit in mass can be very dangerous.
The current one has it's role - deals 12 damage/turn to melee units and survives 1 light cavalry attack.
The only reason it's not used more often is his miss chance - it doesn't make him much weaker, but random generator can be cruel and very, very annoying (missing all four attacks in 2 turns against skirmisher with 1hp left).
Age of Strategy design leader
StormSaint373

Post by StormSaint373 »

I find nothing wrong with his stats... But he needs to be affected by all smithing techs... Not just 1 or 2.

Here's an img to work FROM. Because, the current img of slinger looks too flat.

Ofc, this is meant for AoF...

But, I suppose someone can edit for AoS.
Attachments
Devout Survivor.png
Devout Survivor.png (936 Bytes) Viewed 968 times
Beware the calm before the Tempest. . .
SirPat

Post by SirPat »

NewSlinger2.SirPat.png
NewSlinger2.SirPat.png (929 Bytes) Viewed 932 times
NewSlinger.SirPat.png
NewSlinger.SirPat.png (934 Bytes) Viewed 932 times
NewSlinger3.SirPat.png
NewSlinger3.SirPat.png (939 Bytes) Viewed 931 times
Like this?
I am Pat :>

I barely visit the forums, but when I do and u saw me reading your post. Expect a whole paragraph to be released about your topic. well except if I like your idea and the idea is perfect as it is, if so ill give u my support
StormSaint373

Post by StormSaint373 »

Go with 3... Add a belt.
Beware the calm before the Tempest. . .

Return to “Unit balancing”