turtle ship vs cannon ship - IMPLEMENTED

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
godOfKings

turtle ship vs cannon ship - IMPLEMENTED

Post by godOfKings »

currently the maximum range a turtle ship can cover with 3 movement is 7 tiles, while cannon ship's minimum range is 8 tiles so if the turtle ship was at 8 tiles away it could never reach cannon ship in endless water map, while cannon ship would easily destroy it.

My suggestion is to give turtle ship 5 range instead of 4
Last edited by godOfKings on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
COOLguy

Re: turtle ship vs cannon ship

Post by COOLguy »

Just don't attack the cannon ship with the turtle ship :)
Thanks!
Josh
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

This seems fairly balanced to me, Turtleships are cheaper after all.

...Excluding builders.
OLÉ
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

I don't think making range 5 will make it too unbalanced, even a normal cannoneer can cover 10 tiles maximum, and it is not like their counters won't b able to reach them if they have 5 range
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

May b make its bonus damage 20 instead of 25

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Wait a minute, when did its range become 3? Pretty sure it was 4 before, or was it? Now I m becoming really confused

godOfKings

Re: turtle ship vs cannon ship - Answered

Post by godOfKings »

Okay I was wrong ( again :oops: ), turtle ships have 3 range and 4 speed not the other way round, so it will eventually reach the slower cannon ship

So without further waiting I answer my own post, this is indeed quite balanced

COOLguy

Re: turtle ship vs cannon ship - ANSWERED

Post by COOLguy »

Please let Daniel and I do the answering, but thanks.

Glad we could answer the question! (Or your could answer it yourself lol)
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

I must say that turtles are basically the only naval counter to cannon ships. All other ships get one-shotted, including other cannon ships I believe.

turtles can still effectively corner cannon ships on most maps and destroy them, but on huge maps I agree there really is no way to stop them without orthnicopters or more cannon ships. I wouldn't say that is a bad thing though. It puts more emphasis on research and development, as a developed colony will have a huge game winning edge against one that just spams all game.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Unfortunately development only leads to spamming cannon ships, and that is not strategy, that is simply using the 'strongest' units to win

And I don't like the idea of any 'strongest' unit in a game of strategies

makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

You could just add a chance of missing to cannon ship (like the one that catapult ship has, but lower) and remove all bonuses to other ships. even after medieval era frigates with a lot of cannons couldn't destroy another ship with one-shot unless that was a little boat...
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

Good that this was answered.
A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

COOLguy wrote:Just don't attack the cannon ship with the turtle ship :)
This was the only "official answer" that I could find lol :lol:
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

By the way what is the purpose of the turtle ship any way it's slow and sucs at destroying anything.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

it has high armour,is moderately fast, is cheaper than triremes and can destroy warships in two hits, the only thing i dont like is that it is only buildable in docks does making it hard to build quickly, and sometimes triremes end up being faster to build

mickmackmike

Post by mickmackmike »

Theres something to be said here as i dont think i have ever played a sea battle where anybody has used a turtle ship other than a relative newb..
Anyone for armoured light horse or the three turn hatamoto, or elephants for that matter??? There is a bunch of good units there which dont get used because something else is a better value option for one reason or another... Maybe the "turtle" needs more of something it doesn't have????

3M
----
3M - ( Mike M )
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

yea thanks guys.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: turtle ship vs cannon ship - IMPLEMENTED

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok, range increased from 3 to 4 for starter.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

mickmackmike wrote:Theres something to be said here as i dont think i have ever played a sea battle where anybody has used a turtle ship other than a relative newb..
Anyone for armoured light horse or the three turn hatamoto, or elephants for that matter??? There is a bunch of good units there which dont get used because something else is a better value option for one reason or another... Maybe the "turtle" needs more of something it doesn't have????

3M
Have you played me?
Thanks!
Josh
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Don't wry cool guy I m currently playing him, I will take Ur revenge for u :lol:

Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

lol
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Stratego (dev) wrote:ok, range increased from 3 to 4 for starter.
I don't think they needed a stat increase. They still have their use.

I know they worked amazingly well against the Japanese warships that threatened the Korean peninsula. The admiral commanding them at the time, Yi, he is somebody to look up to. Incorruptible and brilliant, he always put up with the garbage put forth by the government.
OLÉ
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

well your are right but the turtle ships had cannons! we don't have to research gunpowder to build a turtle ship so it does not shoot a cannon. :)
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

It is just like a ballista, it can use its weapon without needing to research the tech

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

May b it can have high Pierce armour since its covered by turtle shell armour, at least as high as a galleass

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok, parmor is 8 from now
Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

Yea it would make it a better choice for a player to use it.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

I used turtle ships often to good effect on a few occassions. I have also had them used very well against me (looking at you, COOLguy).

They are NOT a good aggressive ship. If you try to attack with them, they will die. However, they can be ana amazing deterrent in certain maps.

Put 2-3 of them in a defensive position to defend against transports or other ships. If your opponents dare launch a naval attack, you will get to have the first strike and destroy many ships. Because they are ranged, you can also position them to stay relatively safe for the next wave, and a small force of turtle ships can therefore hold a position effectively against twice as many ships sometimes.

However, cannon ships crush them. Once your opponent gets gunpowder, you are better off getting orthnicopters.

However, turtle ships are excellent in early-mid game.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

well that is the reason that i answered this post so long ago, i felt it was quite balanced for early game, but now i see people have different opinions

Belfry777

Post by Belfry777 »

Doomed carrot you helped me out in so many ocations.

Return to “Unit balancing”