packed sieges IMPLEMENTED

Put here any ideas, suggestions about unit or structure properties.
godOfKings

packed sieges IMPLEMENTED

Post by godOfKings »

The final piece to the balancing puzzle
Basically catapults and trebuchets will have the spell transform with which they can transform into packed version.
The packed version will have 4 speed and 0 attack. When sieges transform their action ends so can't attack but they can still move (with 1 speed wen in original attacker version). The catapult and trebuchet cannot be garrisoned in wagon but can be garrisoned in transport ships
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
LordOfAles

Re: packed sieges

Post by LordOfAles »

3 speed, i dont see how can 500kg be faster than a thin 30kg guy
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

We could assume the packed version is moved by an invisible horse like the wagon
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

But horse needs strenght to pull all the lol, 3
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Remember, we r talking about banning them from wagons and 3 movement plus the waste of turn in transforming them to attack makes it too slow I think, besides the defending sieges would have an advantage as they r garrisoned in towers

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Any other sieges have bonus against them, so would hit them no matter wat the speed, may b give catapults 5 % bonus against catapults so they don't miss :lol:

LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Thought we are aiming dor realism, buuut....bah.

We need new images for packed things
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Realism...as well as balance... Can't u draw? u r good at drawing right? I have nvr even tried pixel arts although I m thinking of starting, but I m a busy man u see (studies, homeworks, tutions, exams, my mom's heartbreaks on result day :| , and still trying to manage some time for aos )

LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

godOfKings wrote:Realism...as well as balance... Can't u draw? u r good at drawing right? I have nvr even tried pixel arts although I m thinking of starting, but I m a busy man u see (studies, homeworks, tutions, exams, my mom's heartbreaks on result day :| , and still trying to manage some time for aos )
I can try
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

2 speeds is better...?
Make them faster, but not too fast that they can keep pace with regular infantry.
Currently exploring the wonder of dimension.
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Nuu that will make everything terribly slow, 3
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

Imagine a map 50x50 big, and u would know y I said so, besides the packed version is meant for long distance transport and it cannot attack too so we can assume enough horses r pulling it to make it fast, and infantry would use wagons for long distance travelling too

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

At 2 speed, and without wagons, the game would b over before they could reach front line

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

I think ballistae and cannons can still be carried on wagons as they are small enough

LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

Yup, and not so devastating
makazuwr32

Siege units second form for moving

Post by makazuwr32 »

I suggest to give EACH ranged siege land unit:
Ballista
Trebushet
Catapult
Heavy Catapult
(Maybe) Cannoneer
A second form without attack range and damage (with increased speed to compensate) and remove their movement in first one so that they can move OR shoot but not both in turn.
Also trained siege units would be in second, moving form when trained.
Maybe also increase a bit their health.

To switch betveen forms give Pack/Unpack ability.

If combined with this then give them speed of 3
Last edited by makazuwr32 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
General Brave

Re: Siege units second form for moving

Post by General Brave »

So pack and unpack mode.
Wise, Might, Loyalty. Forever stands Warfell.
Sunrise Samurai

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

Seems like a good idea to get them removed from wagons finally.
The glorious sun rises again
General Brave

Post by General Brave »

Maybe moving speed of 3?
Wise, Might, Loyalty. Forever stands Warfell.
Patrol3110

Post by Patrol3110 »

lol that would make cannons, elephants and flail soldiers the slowest
I can bet you don't know who I am.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

We can set speed for each unit individually.
Cannons i think must also have Pack-unpack modes.
And flail soldiers could be used in wagons.
Also i'll create another topic later about wagons.

Upd.: Updated first post.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4765
ttp://www.androidutils.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4662

Pls stop reposting already suggested ideas, if u got a suggestion for balancing wagons use the shortcut i made

It was already talked about how cavalry and sieges can b balanced without wagons, and I also suggested balancing range so that cavalry units can reach without needing wagons as well as balancing garrisoning sieges in towers, instead of starting these topics anew, pls give Ur ideas in the already suggested topics
Last edited by godOfKings on Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

merged...
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

The attack mode should also have 1 speed so they can b positioned before defensive towers without staying in range of towers

godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

@Endru1241 @makazuwr32

After some thinking, i remember y i wanted to give up on this idea, current game play for aos is actually quite balanced, and ambushing with siege units is necessary because, only way to win the end game is to reduce enemy workers, and most effective end game method to reduce worker army is placing a ballista or catapult in wagon next to the enemy castle/ tower to find the tcs behind

If this packaging idea is implemented it will b very difficult to reduce the number of workers of ur opponents so game obviously will never end with endless number of sieges and towers

Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

godOfKings wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:33 pm @Endru1241 @makazuwr32

After some thinking, i remember y i wanted to give up on this idea, current game play for aos is actually quite balanced, and ambushing with siege units is necessary because, only way to win the end game is to reduce enemy workers, and most effective end game method to reduce worker army is placing a ballista or catapult in wagon next to the enemy castle/ tower to find the tcs behind

If this packaging idea is implemented it will b very difficult to reduce the number of workers of ur opponents so game obviously will never end with endless number of sieges and towers
So you need to balance both siege and towers lol, siege is used because its OP against everything(slight exaggeration) and towers are only spammed to counter siege :lol:

And overall gameplay balance is not equal to unit type balance which is more important imo. What is the point of a game thats balanced but only if you use a select few units? Many units and techs are useless right now
AOD Team - Join Us!
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

If some units and techs r useless then post them in separate topics and how to make them more useful

makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

godOfKings wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:33 pm @Endru1241 @makazuwr32

The thing is that in this case siege must be constructed in unpacked mode and after become packed one. Also because this will limit a bit usage of siege it will make other units (trainable ones) more valuable.

For example men at arms will become much more usable because they have one of the best damages among infantries to buildings, fortifications and megas (only zweihandler is better because of aoe).
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Squirrel5555

Post by Squirrel5555 »

godOfKings wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:57 pm If some units and techs r useless then post them in separate topics and how to make them more useful
What? Im just using that as an argument against you saying the game is balanced right now :D
AOD Team - Join Us!
Endru1241

Post by Endru1241 »

godOfKings wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:33 pm current game play for aos is actually quite balanced
only way to win the end game is to reduce enemy workers
most effective ... method ... is ... ballista or catapult
Please read carefully what You wrote.
And say it again that siege doesn't need overhaul.
Age of Strategy design leader

Return to “Unit balancing”