Tower defense map

Put here any ideas, suggestions about existing maps, or new maps.
makazuwr32

Tower defense map

Post by makazuwr32 »

№3:
Make it based on AoS.
Aos towers, walls and workers. Turn based (still cost, construction rates and such). Tcs can either produce workers or research upgrades for towers (or to unlock new towers).

Enemies have still 2 types of defence - melee and ranged. When they engaged in melee they attack buildings on their road.

Enemies move only on roads, you can place on road only walls.

You can't mend walls or towers.
More variety of towers (for example slowing tower, melee tower that attacks enemies in short range with powerful melee attack).
Some road tiles will slow down enemies.
Flying enemies who ignore towers and directly fly to their target.

As target - capturable something. When it is captured you loose.

Multiplayer idea (for 2 players):
One player controls defending side, second controls attacking side.
Attacking side has under its control several buildings to upgrade units and train their waves. Attacking player must capture defender's strategic point (maybe tc, maybe something else) in specific set amount of turns.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Game idea gathering for Unity game engine learning

Post by Stratego (dev) »

tower defense: if u thought this than actually you can make such map in mapeditor, right?
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I tried to make such map but it harder than you think.
1. Units of enemy normally must not attack towers; towers must not be constructible on roads.
2. Stupid ai tries to move around faster, can't predict how this will going on as result.
3. Limited towers selection.
4. Low amount of researchables for both sides.
5. "Trained" units in multiplayer on the attacking side must be added firstly in "wave" and only after wave is launched they must ve to their target.

Those were my problems when i tried to make such map.
1 and 2 points are most critical because attackers must be able to attack only units and buildings on road which are hindering their movement.
3 and 4 points are not so critical but they will make gameplay more intresting.

As result the map was either easy and annoying (for me) or hard and annoying. It was not fun to play into and because of that it was never completed.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ideas:

1. you can make the "road" closed than - using nonwalkable terrain elements .
so towers will not be reached by enemy units.
istn that work?

2. you can set speed of units by triggers.

3. limited towers: what do u mean here? we have as much as we put in game, you mean too few towers are in game currently? we can put in any.

4. researchables: as much as we have/put in game

5. i did not understood this one.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

1. I tried but in this case i had different problems: ai units do not want to move sometimes because it is provoked by towers and tries to reach them. Especially in cases when i completely close ai from towers.
2. That is not about "speed of units". It is how ai tries to move them. If it sees some traffic congestion it tries to move around or even back which results in not what i want.
3,4. Yes. Too low variety of towers and too low amount of upgrades for them (and for units as well in case of such tower defence).
5. I mean that normally you train unit and after that you can command it to move wherever you want.
In case of tower defence i need different mechanic:
Waves are launched once per x turns;
Attacking player can train during this time units which when are trained will be added to the next wave;
"Wave" units must be uncontrollable by player (and tower as well by the way, they must attack enemies on their own).

Also for that i need completely different set of units and upgrades to make it perfected.

In result i need:
1. Completely new mechanics (units moving on the roads only, units can attack only obstacles on the roads, not towers);
2. Completely different ai (ai sometimes is angered onto towers even if they are out of reach and instead of moving forward it stays on one place);
3. Completely new set of units for attackers, new set of towers for defenders, new set of upgrades for both (including unlocking new units/towers);
4. New mechanic of waves (i tried to make it via triggers but either it is annoying because you know what is coming and thus can easy prepare or such stupidly hard to make for each wave to be random that it is not enjoyable), especially this is actual for multiplayer.

Seriously:
It is much easier to make new game than making this changes in aos or aof.

Something like "Age of Towers".
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

1. u need to put a reachable end-target - your base or something to the end of the road - they will attack that, maybe a little gap behind the "walls" so AI can pathfind to towers too so they will not get stuck on "climbing" tru walls.

2. ok, than i dont understand the problem - it seems to me no problem - maybe i will build one such map for showing example.

3-4: than that is not an "engine" problem, but simply assets needed, no coding.

5. i also have idea here: make the training to a "next round army" area, and if user successfully puts units to that area, those will be "activated"(teleported) to battle on next wave.

i will move all these posts to a new map idea thread as it is way off topic here.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Tower defense map

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok moved here
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

1. i put that but it is rather far (12-15 tiles) unlike those towers.
2. that is why i am not using waypoints for now. same exactly problem.
3. i know but for just the sake of one game adding that is not required.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

1. i put that but it is rather far - yes because u need to let pathfinding find way to tower so there needs to be a little gap beside the mega builkding you defend - so all enemy will swarm to it.
2. ok, than that is not a problem anymore :)
3. i think towers are good also in normal way too - in AOS we introduced many new towers i think we can have everywhere 8-10 type of towers and their upgrades.

Return to “Maps, campaigns”