Tutorial - Animate Dead

Discuss anything about any map, ask for hints/help if you need
EdmondDantes

Tutorial - Animate Dead

Post by EdmondDantes »

Has anyone replayed this map recently?

Across a river sit 3 Elven Archers.
I start with 1 Lich, and 5 Goblin Spikers.

In turn 1, the archers slaughter as many goblins as they can shoot: 3 of 5.
So then I reanimate the 3 dead goblins as skeletons, who can now cross the river.
turn 2, the archers slaughter the remaining 2 goblins, and injure 1 of 3 archers
My response is to animate the last 2 dead goblins into skeletons.
turn 3 has the archers kill the injured skeleton, and one other skeleton.
My skeletons take a turn or so to cross the river.
turn 4, the archers kill 1 skeleton and injure another.
One of my skeletons reaches the far side of the river and attacks once.
turn 5, the archers slaughter my remaining skeletons. Or if my Lich is in range, kill him with 1 shot.

Did Elven Archers get upgraded after this map was created? They seem to easily overpower my skeletons.
They have a +2 bonus to range, +2 to power, +1/+2 armor. I somehow killed an archer once and raised it,
but my Lich died making it 1 archer against 2 archers... which didn't end well.

I've had no particular problem with other tutorial maps. This one seems a bit hopeless. Am I missing something, or did the map accidentally change in a way that makes it dramatically harder? At the very least, this map seems too difficult for a tutorial.
Lucifer

Re: Tutorial - Animate Dead

Post by Lucifer »

You may be right. I remember clearing that map in an earlier version of the game, but now I can't get through it..
Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Easy as pie. But you need to use other spells of lich as well to get through map.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
EdmondDantes

Post by EdmondDantes »

makazuwr32 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:31 am Easy as pie. But you need to use other spells of lich as well to get through map.
The level is named "animate dead" as a tutorial for using the animate dead spell. You're saying not to use animate dead on the animate dead tutorial?
It's possible "summon dragon" could work (if that's your meaning), but then this map becomes redundant. The next map after this one is a tutorial about summoning.

The level also explicitly mentions that skeletons can cross the river without drowning, since they're already dead. So the intent of the level seems to be animating skeletons, crossing the river, and killing the archers. The "summoning" map mentions that you must already have the required spells, while this level says nothing about summoning dragons.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

I won without summoning dragon.
Hell of pain by sacrifice, raise dead and pain and hit.
On first turn yes archers kill 3 pikers.
You do not raise dead yet.
On second turn you use one of alive pikers as sacrifice for first spell of lich and kill one of archers. Archers than kill last goblin.
Third turn you use raise dead. Archers kill only one fighter. You have still 1 archer and 4 fighters.
On fourth turn you can already hit enemy archers with your own fighters. Also if lich is still alive try to use his hell of pain by sacrifice spell or pain and hit spell on one of archers.
On fifth-sixth turn just kill the rest of archers.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
EdmondDantes

Post by EdmondDantes »

makazuwr32 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:36 pm I won without summoning dragon.
Hell of pain by sacrifice, raise dead and pain and hit.
On first turn yes archers kill 3 pikers.
You do not raise dead yet.
On second turn you use one of alive pikers as sacrifice for first spell of lich and kill one of archers. Archers than kill last goblin.
Third turn you use raise dead. Archers kill only one fighter. You have still 1 archer and 4 fighters.
On fourth turn you can already hit enemy archers with your own fighters. Also if lich is still alive try to use his hell of pain by sacrifice spell or pain and hit spell on one of archers.
On fifth-sixth turn just kill the rest of archers.
Thanks for helping me understand "Hell of Pain by Sacrifice". Using that spell to sacrifice a goblin does kill an archer, who on the next turn's animate dead becomes an undead archer attacking his former allies. And like you describe, I can finish the game in 5 turns using that approach.

Your description especially helped because I haven't found good descriptions for the spells or upgrades in the documentation. Hopefully I'll find both in the forums here.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Best way to learn something is to try by yourself or ask someone who knows game rather than to search somewhere. Sometimes info can be outdated.

Also if you need some help you can join our discord where most active forum members can help you (including myself).
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

Can you share the invite link for Discord?
The links in that thread are expired mostly..
Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink.
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Posted new invine in offtopic.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader

Return to “Campaign map discussions”