NEW CONTEST: Historical maps

Discuss anything about any map, ask for hints/help if you need
TheBluePhoenix

Re: NEW CONTEST: Historical maps

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I too will be trying again this time....
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

Elvenprincess
Location: Rivendell, Lorien, Brooklyn (New York), Endor, and many other places...

Post by Elvenprincess »

Hardeep wrote:"The beacons of Tunis! The beacons are lit! Rome calls for aid!"
"And the 6th and 7th legions will answer. Muster the legion"
(Hardeep-king strides out of the golden hall in full armour. Speaks to Eomer)
"Assemble the map at Dunharrow, as many men as can be found. You have two days, on the third, we ride for Zama... and war"
(Walks to Gamling)
"Gamling! Make haste across the Tunisia, summon every able bodied man to Dunharrow."
(Looks around at the banners of the rohirrim and the white hand all around him)
So... it is before the plains of Zama Regia the doom of our time will be decided
LOL!!! This is great!

And I can't wait to see everybody's maps.
Namárië!
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

Better because I started with only 3 days left for the deadline, allowing me to both shoot off this post and give other competitors a fighting chance :D
And by the time you get to see it it will have been a week of riding :)
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
Darkknight

Post by Darkknight »

Battle of Bosworth sent to market
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

new map for the contest from Avalyn: map name: battle on the ice (under tutorial section)
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

I think I'll opt out of this contest :?
Hate to disappoint absolutely no one, but I really hate triggers
I'll still give the battle of Zama, but don't count it in the contest
May the best map maker win
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

You dont need to have triggers...
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Can you pls extend the deadline by 1-2 days? I am near completion of my map...
BEWARE!!!!The long lost empire of phoenicia is rising- The world is but just near the golden age,wherein men played and frolicked,without any worries at all

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Okay, please hurry. If you can get it in about two days, we will still accept it.
Thanks!
Josh
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I sent it
Please confirm it

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

yes! and up on server in 10 minutes: your map name is: camp_user_battle_of_hydaspes_50_50.map
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

When will the winner be announced?

Kalistra

Post by Kalistra »

It was fun to try but I simply don't have the skills, lol. My map was basic, unbalanced and hard to make fun with such a lopsided battle to model after...Neff excuses! I gave up! Might try again in the future, I have a couple ideas but will have to play around with the triggers to get used to how they work. Good luck all! Can't wait to see what folks came up with!
Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak. If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. -Sun Tzu's Art of War
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Yes, we received 3 maps. (I think) And I have checked 1 so far.
Thanks!
Josh
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

yes, they are all available in the dev version (under tutorials section) in 15 minutes.
- Battle on the Ice
- Battle of Hydaspes (however here i expect update from designer)
- Battle of Bosworth
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

I cannot find battle on ice

superstrijder15

Post by superstrijder15 »

TheBluePhoenix wrote:I cannot find battle on ice
In 360 days I guess :? :D
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ANNOUNCEMENT

First of all i am thanking everyone for attending!
- All three maps were really good!
- I am hoping that the mapeditor is getting better and you all can make very nice campaign maps in the future - even in AOF!
- And I am happy that you and all other players worldwide (posting to market/sending in maps) are feeling the taste of building a great map, that is almost like giving birth to child :)

The results:
The 2nd and 3rd are in tie: bosworth + hysades, they were accurate on historical aspect and was also nicely triggered (especially hysades), but maps were too big and long running in gameplay (also almost total lack of intro text).

The winner is: Battle on the ice, however that was easy to win, but was accurate and awesomely decorated and used proper map size, also had very nice intro texting! Gratulations!

suggestions to change/problems on these maps

Battle of Bosworth:
- seems a little too big to
- a little under decorated- no towns, no trees or woods (in Google the earth view, there are woods and many trees around - who knows how that looked earlier. also could have had flowers and stuff - so more decoration)
- and absolutely no intro text

Battle of Hysades
- too big
- too many starting units
- takes many turns to get through the river and finally fight.
- battles can be described with much smaller maps and armies - on a 20/20 maps for instance.
- no intro texting at all.

Battle on Ice
- a little too easy to win
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Well sometimes to be historically accurate you need to put in enough and correct scale so that the player can actually visualise the scale to which the actual battle took place, and that is the very reason why the battle of hydaspes is very large, because you cant show alexander's army with a few soldiers while in fact there were tens of thousands.
Secondly , if you feel that the map was less decorated than let me renind you, dead bodies decorate a war zone and not flowers, and battles were fought on areas which were largely open and clear.
Thirdly, i understand that the map being large becomes boring but thats the very reason i added text and dialogues to the map so that the player knows what it is all about.
More over, i didnot think that there was any need for intro text as i gave the complete story during the map, and gave the wikepedia link in the intro text as coolguy had written at the starting of the topic.what is the use of playing a map if you know how the war took place before even playing??
Also you only need to kill porus to win the map, then how does it matter that how many units are present on the map? Because most of the time they are disabled...
Finally, i made my map super accurate historically and geographically, which matters the most in such a map.
Whatever problems i faced were due to trigger restrictions and nothing else.

I played all maps and found the map battle of ice the most boring because it gets over quickly as there are no triggers and strategy , just barge into the enemy. and though the map is most beautiful, i doubt whether it is geographicaly accurate. Also the death of the hero does not make the player lose.

I am no judge but can clearly state that the battle of ice (judging according to historical accuracy and triggering,) does not deserve to win

I request dev and coolguy to reconsider..

Disco

Post by Disco »

First off, id like to congratulate the winner! Although I never seen any of the maps...

BluePhoenix's post above made me laugh tho (literally), Ive always liked a bad loser for some reason! Rant posts are my favourites, especially if the person is obviously passionate about the subject :lol:

So..congrats to the winner, and thx to BluePhoenix for a cracking post ;)
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Disco wrote:First off, id like to congratulate the winner! Although I never seen any of the maps...

BluePhoenix's post above made me laugh tho (literally), Ive always liked a bad loser for some reason! Rant posts are my favourites, especially if the person is obviously passionate about the subject :lol:

So..congrats to the winner, and thx to BluePhoenix for a cracking post ;)
Well i am pretty serious this time , last time when hardeep won i said nothing as the deserving won..
But this time is not the case. And as you have not seen any map, please donot call me a "bad loser " for no reason what so ever...

Disco

Post by Disco »

C'mon mate, you lost...and youre frosty because of it ( i find that amusing)! Rightly or wrongly...that still makes you a bad loser. I admire that ;) It is meant as a compliment.

I merely enjoy reading post's of this type, but i apologise if it offended. It wasnt meant as such ;)
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

TheBluePhoenix wrote:Well sometimes to be historically accurate you need to put in enough and correct scale so that the player can actually visualise the scale to which the actual battle took place, and that is the very reason why the battle of hydaspes is very large, because you cant show alexander's army with a few soldiers while in fact there were tens of thousands.
Secondly , if you feel that the map was less decorated than let me renind you, dead bodies decorate a war zone and not flowers, and battles were fought on areas which were largely open and clear.
Thirdly, i understand that the map being large becomes boring but thats the very reason i added text and dialogues to the map so that the player knows what it is all about.
More over, i didnot think that there was any need for intro text as i gave the complete story during the map, and gave the wikepedia link in the intro text as coolguy had written at the starting of the topic.what is the use of playing a map if you know how the war took place before even playing??
Also you only need to kill porus to win the map, then how does it matter that how many units are present on the map? Because most of the time they are disabled...
Finally, i made my map super accurate historically and geographically, which matters the most in such a map.
Whatever problems i faced were due to trigger restrictions and nothing else.

I played all maps and found the map battle of ice the most boring because it gets over quickly as there are no triggers and strategy , just barge into the enemy. and though the map is most beautiful, i doubt whether it is geographicaly accurate. Also the death of the hero does not make the player lose.

I am no judge but can clearly state that the battle of ice (judging according to historical accuracy and triggering,) does not deserve to win

I request dev and coolguy to reconsider..
Ok, sorry if you feel offended, this whole contest ment nothing even close to make anyone offended.
I am truly sorry for that.

As Coolguy wrote these were the main criteria (with the some of the important suggestions below this line)
We will be judging based on three criteria: 1) Historical accuracy 2) playability and 3) niceness of the map
-Smaller and tastefully triggered maps tend to be easier and more fun to play
-Terrain is important! It should be accurate and also nicely made (and decorated)
I very liked the battle you choose and if you dont get offended i happily try to make or help you make an alternate version that fits the other two criteria Coolguy defined (and also the suggestions below the criteria).
Shall i try or try to give advices to change?

Disco: please dont call him bad loser, i feel it is an offending term (however i am not a native english, i would also get offended if someone called me that.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Ive sent a PM to him/her to apologise :arrow:
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Ok , let me clear a few things-
Disco, i just displayed my displeasure on the term you used and your apology closes that. No offence taken (i myself write something which i realise later was not the best english to express mysrlf and end up regretting it)
Dev, i am not at all offended by the decision, i agree what you said but i said what i felt after playing the map of ice- it had no trigger, less playability( very easy), no story (any one who played my map might have noticed that i have tried to create a story line which i thought would be more effective than a simple overview of the battle) , no strtegy (just barge into the enemy with the right unit ) and i doubt its geographical accuracy also.
All that i was saying was that just because the map is small and beautiful, doesnot make it a winner in the tournament meant for historical maps
I would have welcomed the decision if it were a normal map making tournament , and not one for historical maps.
also disco , i am an 18 yr old indian boy/adult, so its a "he" :D :lol:

Disco

Post by Disco »

TheBluePhoenix wrote:Ok , let me clear a few things-
Disco, i just displayed my displeasure on the term you used and your apology closes that. No offence taken (i myself write something which i realise later was not the best english to express mysrlf and end up regretting it).
also disco , i am an 18 yr old indian boy/adult, so its a "he" :D :lol:
Good man ;)
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

Any chance of another mapmaking contest? Like right now? I want a new contest
General map making extravaganza?
Can make any type of map you want? (Hungarian for bonus ;))
TheBluePhoenix

Post by TheBluePhoenix »

Will there be a reconsiderstion ...... or not??? :oops:

Disco

Post by Disco »

Hardeep wrote:Any chance of another mapmaking contest? Like right now? I want a new contest
General map making extravaganza?
Can make any type of map you want? (Hungarian for bonus ;))
Yes! I agree..im gutted i missed this last one! Not bothered what the subject.
I'll even put up flyers around my local village to stump up competition :lol:

Return to “Campaign map discussions”