strategy tips for new players

Discuss anything about any map, ask for hints/help if you need
Archer

strategy tips for new players

Post by Archer »

Hey guys, just want go ask people to post tactics (that you generally use when you play a new map) for new players, i'll try do the same, if any player needs help on a particular map just pm me and I'll help or try and find help for you. Thank you guys for all your help!!
dust-n-steel

Re: strategy tips for new players

Post by dust-n-steel »

In general (on random maps), I think you should have some pikemen in reserve for knight or elephant defending.

And use the wagons for fast attacks, they're really great to transport your troops to the frontline
What color is your flag when it's burning?!
Mairon

Post by Mairon »

Addition to the post above: Especially catapults, trebuchets and rams, which are slow.
Build blacksmiths! A +2 atk samurai can defeat a knight! When the map is huge, it may pay off to build more blacksmiths and after the researches are done, destroy them. Fortify your TCs and especially if the map has FOW, because when an ornithpter suddenly appears from the dark, your workers will be massacred without towers to guard them.
Cheers, everything will go well! Yes, ask the other person to lend you something/go on a date/do anything else! They ain't gonna bite your head off!

Tar-Mairon, The Excellent in vanyarin is the name of Sauron [The Abominable] before his fall.
Archer

Post by Archer »

Try to attack from multiple angles ( three seems best, 2 angles is fairly easy to counter and 4 would require a lot of troops and could leave a hole in your defences) remember that if you focus too much on the attack the enemy could flank you and cripple your attack and your base!
kon

Post by kon »

f your task - defense, put the lock in the barrier, and build it. because of its area it is a lot of blocks, and at the same time well-being repaired.
superstrijder15

Post by superstrijder15 »

In confined quarters defens it can pay off to build fortesses so you can have 3 archers on 1 tile.
As long as the enemy has not got any shielders or skirmishers, you will want more archers than infantry, as you can use one line of infantry and the 2-6(lonbowmen) of archery.
Whenever possible move siege engines with carts.
Carts can hold rams while they hold infantry, so you can quickly move 6 infantry+3 rams with this setup.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

You are spot on.
Thanks!
Josh
superstrijder15

And wait, there's more:
2 builder + ambidextria research can build a tower each turn. if you send 2 builders somewhere you can have them build a tower each turn!
2 builder witout ambidextria can build a tower each 2 turns, allowing similar tactics with some planning.

You can use archer towers to confine the movement of allies, for example a double line to stop war elephants, which you open when enemy infantry(not pikeman of course) comes along.
A great defense against slow melee units like war elephants is taking them over with healers, possibly while they retreat to avoid attacks.
tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

superstrijder15 wrote: 2 builder + ambidextria research can build a tower each turn. if you send 2 builders somewhere you can have them build a tower each turn!
This one looks like not correct.
superstrijder15

tamtam12345 wrote:
superstrijder15 wrote: 2 builder + ambidextria research can build a tower each turn. if you send 2 builders somewhere you can have them build a tower each turn!
This one looks like not correct.
turn 1: walk, start constructing, tower 2/3 finished
2: one finishes construction, walking on, other starts next tower, 1 1/3 towers
3: both finish and the walk.

one in three turns no tower indeed, but still a lot of towers.
superstrijder15

I got another one for ya: Trebuche have the longest range in the game, thus you can take out any thing(not every living being tho) with an army of trebuchets
With artillery you can do a slow charge, with lots of trebuchets, catapults and cannons taking out opposition
Got idle builders? If you have the upgrade don't forget to build castles, they arent just a fort, but also give you trebuchet of cannons, of something else of your choosing!
Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan »

Awesome game guys! Im still just starting but thought i might post a few strategies ive learned.

First, one of the hero units and a healer/missionary together are worth as much as a whole army. Dont underestimate how strong they can be.

Second, workers can create catapults much faster than a siege workshop. On a long mission i have been using as many as 8 workers to build catapults and wagons. You can get them to the front line quickly and speed through a lot of missions this way.

Third, double up on workers to make things faster. You can only build something from the four adjacent squares but if you tell a worker to build or mend and then move him out of the way, you can shuffle another worker into his place and build/mend with him too. You can make cats in two turns this way, or pump out fortresses like theres no tomorrow.

Fourth, this may be dumb but at first i just assumed that wagons couldnt carry cats and battering rams. they absolutely can. The rams can even hold two units each, letting one wagon carry 3 rams and 6 units.

Ill post anything else i find helpful. Hope these help, woot!
-Mad
superstrijder15

Madmartigan wrote: Second, workers can create catapults much faster than a siege workshop. On a long mission i have been using as many as 8 workers to build catapults and wagons. You can get them to the front line quickly and speed through a lot of missions this way.

Third, double up on workers to make things faster. You can only build something from the four adjacent squares but if you tell a worker to build or mend and then move him out of the way, you can shuffle another worker into his place and build/mend with him too. You can make cats in two turns this way, or pump out fortresses like theres no tomorrow.
I'm currently winning historical battles: Genghis Khan vs. Wall of China. In turn 18 I have: 8 tcs 7siege workshops, 8 castles, and a TON of workers.
In a few turns the wall will be flooded by trebuchets, cannons and heavy catapults, and I shall be victorious! :twisted:
I literally had to send all the starting troops into a hail of arrows to have the space required to build all this stuff.
P.S. seriously, artillery=OP, even more so in groups
superstrijder15

Mairon wrote: A +2 atk samurai can defeat a knight!
Warning with samurai! Because of the dual attack, the enemy can counter twice, make sure not to attack anything that has a bonus to samurai!
Detros

Post by Detros »

From what I got so far, hopefully it is right:
- When your Healer (or Missionary) is injured, use NextAbility button on the right to get to Converting of enemy units. Usual clicking on him would just make him heal himself.
- Templars can either heal or attack, not both. Select wisely. Prince-Templar combo is pretty strong.
- You can build with Worker from TC but not from towers. You can shoot with Archer from towers and TCs but not from Archery range (and similar factories).
- Note TCs/factories need one free space to continue building.
- Even some units or buildings from Upgrades (Cannon Tower) need special techs before you can build them. It may still be valid to buy them in Upgrades, just to get to those upgrades under them, if you have enough gems, and pick that tech later.
- There is Armor and Pierce armor. First is against melee attacks, second against ranged ones (of arrow type, so not catapult type). Pierce armor value is apparently _not_ a value of armor pierced by that unit attacks, as I originally thought.

EDIT: Turn counter, even listing your current goal, is located at the bottom of ingame Menu. There you have number of buildings, castles and TCs, Withdraw, Upgrades and Exit buttons and, if you scroll down, also the turn counter.

Return to “Campaign map discussions”