Help - grammar, typography, clarifications

If you find false or unclear or totally missing information in the built in help, than please put it here.
thanks.
Detros

Post by Detros »

Some random bits for the start:

Unit production
- missing space: "TC (Town Center)you own" -> "TC (Town Center) you own"
Set waypoint
- extra space: "button , click" -> "button, click"
- typo but rather change the word: "to playe the waypoint to the unit" -> "to assign the waypoint to the unit"
Multiselect
- typo: "higliht" -> "highlight"
- sound better: "units with the same unit type" -> "units of the same type"
- grammar: "units that has" -> "units that have"
- typo: "swith" -> "switch"

Heal/Mend/Garrison table
- example on healing says "Healer 50%" while table just above it says Healer has 20 % chance at conversion. That 50% is only with Persuasion tech.

Bonus table
- grammar: "unit have" -> "unit has"
- missing: "the other eg" -> "the other, eg"
- grammar: "Archer have" -> "Archer has"
- typo: "SwordsMan" -> "Swordsman"
- grammar: "who have" -> "who has"
- grammar: "against who" -> "against whom"

Technology types
- typo: "propbabaility" -> "probability"
- precise: "when you occupy an enemy building" -> "when you occupy an enemy TC", no other structures can be occupied, can't they?

Technology stealing
- typo: "occuplying" -> occupying"
- grammar: "you do not already have" -> "which you don't have yet"

Attack rules
- "Flying units" is just completely confusing, is there some verb missing or what is with that part?
- it probably should be something like: "Flying units can be properly attacked only by other flying units or arrow-type ranged units. Other types of land and sea units can cause only 1HP damage per attack to them."

Constructing structures
- grammar: "other similar "factory" building" -> "other similar "factory" buildings"
- typo: "TC-s" -> "TCs" (multiple times, pick one variant and stick with it)
- grammar: "if...than you can" -> "if...then you can"

Waypoints
- grammar: "unit have" -> "unit has"

Gems
- make it into sentence to get rid of double parentheses: "with more stars (=> faster) (you can..." -> "with more stars (=> faster). You can..."
Last edited by Detros on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Help - random grammar and typo bits I

Post by Stratego (dev) »

came to me that i could send you the textfile and you can fix anything you find - would you do it if i ask to?
would appreciate! thanks!

(if so please email me)
Detros

Re: Help - random grammar and typo bits I

Post by Detros »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:came to me that i could send you the textfile and you can fix anything you find - would you do it if i ask to?
would appreciate! thanks!

(if so please email me)
Sure. Done. Thanks for files.
I have already fixed all those bits listed here. I am looking for some more before I send the files back to you.
Detros

Post by Detros »

Few things I would like to get clarified for the Help (unless intentionally hidden) so I can directly put them in:
  • How much faster does structure heal its garrisoned unit when there is a Healer inside?
  • Does it have to be only Healer or any unit with healing abilities (say, Templar)?
  • If other units can be also used, is the bonus static or depending on the quality of healing abilities of this healer unit? Eg., does Missionary cause different bonus than a Healer does?
  • Does Area damage tech work only on cardinally adjacent 4 tiles or all 8 surrounding ones?
  • Does catapult missing work only on cardinally adjacent 4 tiles or all 8 surrounding ones?
  • If player has Area damage tech and the catapult shot misses, will the tiles hit thanks to Area damage be now adjacent to the really hit tile, so some even 2 tiles from the original (reasonable) or still around the original target tile (as current wording suggests)?
  • So missed catapult shot can hit friendly unit too but "Area damage"-damage is dealt only to units from other team factions (so neither friendly- nor ally-fire)?
  • Are there any units other than Catapult and Advanced catapult that have that "Burning rock" type of attack? Eg., are Trebuchets subject to armor or range armor?
  • Are catapults firing at flying units treated again like melee attackers during damage calculation (so max 1HP damage if catapult hits)?
  • "Area damage"-damage is half (rounded up, as elsewhere in game) of the catapult-hit damage, right?
  • Can "Area damage"-damage damage ( :D ) flying units?
  • Can Spies spy only on enemy TCs or on other factories (barracks) too?
  • Can Spies spy on ally buildings?
  • Can Spies steal only techs other faction has already researched or is there not such connection?
  • When stealing a tech with Spy is there a chance of failure (if there is something to be stolen)?
  • When stealing a tech with Spy can you select which one you want or do you get just some random one you don't posses yet?
Last edited by Detros on Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Help - grammar, typography, clarifications

Post by Stratego (dev) »

everyone please help me answer these! :) :)
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

Daniel-king stands alone...
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

Oh god.....
Epic Gamer Moment!
Detros

Post by Detros »

WORKER1212 wrote:Oh god.....
What? Even seasoned AoS players don't know the answers?
Daruty

Post by Daruty »

1.1 a structure with a healer inside of it heals 50 hp
1.2 any unit with healing powers works
1.3 the heal rate stays 50 with other units as long as they can heal

2.1 heavy catapult WITHOUT area damage hits the 4 surrounding tiles with area damage.
Heavy catapult WITH area damage hits every tile in a range of 3 tiles!!!!!
2.2. 4
2.3 if the shot misses the target the center of the shot will be where it hits.
2.4 no friendly fire
2.5.?????
2.6 melee attacks
2.7.?????
2.8 yes

Please correct me if i'm wrong because my english isn't that good and it was hard to understand these questions.
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

3. Spies can only spy on TCS, no factories or defenses
Spies can spy on ally TCS and steal from them
I THINK that the faction must have it researched (I had it no starting techs and tried 30+ times to steal from a hard and a light AI to no avail)
Definitely a chance to fail miserably, however doesn't consume assassins or spies
You get a random tech you don't possess

2. Catapult ships have burning rock
Catapult can miss on any 8 adjacent tiles
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Detros wrote:Few things I would like to get clarified for the Help (unless intentionally hidden) so I can directly put them in:
  • How much faster does structure heal its garrisoned unit when there is a Healer inside?
  • Does it have to be only Healer or any unit with healing abilities (say, Templar)?
  • If other units can be also used, is the bonus static or depending on the quality of healing abilities of this healer unit? Eg., does Missionary cause different bonus than a Healer does?
  • Does Area damage tech work only on cardinally adjacent 4 tiles or all 8 surrounding ones?
  • Does catapult missing work only on cardinally adjacent 4 tiles or all 8 surrounding ones?
  • If player has Area damage tech and the catapult shot misses, will the tiles hit thanks to Area damage be now adjacent to the really hit tile, so some even 2 tiles from the original (reasonable) or still around the original target tile (as current wording suggests)?
  • So missed catapult shot can hit friendly unit too but "Area damage"-damage is dealt only to units from other team factions (so neither friendly- nor ally-fire)?
  • Are there any units other than Catapult and Advanced catapult that have that "Burning rock" type of attack? Eg., are Trebuchets subject to armor or range armor?
  • Are catapults firing at flying units treated again like melee attackers during damage calculation (so max 1HP damage if catapult hits)?
  • "Area damage"-damage is half (rounded up, as elsewhere in game) of the catapult-hit damage, right?
  • Can "Area damage"-damage damage ( :D ) flying units?
  • Can Spies spy only on enemy TCs or on other factories (barracks) too?
  • Can Spies spy on ally buildings?
  • Can Spies steal only techs other faction has already researched or is there not such connection?
  • When stealing a tech with Spy is there a chance of failure (if there is something to be stolen)?
  • When stealing a tech with Spy can you select which one you want or do you get just some random one you don't posses yet?
Quick answers: I will not have time currently to search them out if I do not know them off the top of my head

-I think there is no difference
-so the other to are NA (I hope)
-This is defined in the individual unit stats
-Catapults: only adjacent four. Heavy Cats: all 8 (see above)
-Area damage applies to the area actually hit
-no friendly fire currently
-Defined in stats... I think trebs (large rocks), tanegashima and slingers (small rocks), and catship might be...
-yes
-I think damage is rounded to the nearest whole... not sure on that but I think it has to do with the engine's math calculation
-yes (fun fact)
Hardeep wrote:3. Spies can only spy on TCS, no factories or defenses
Spies can spy on ally TCS and steal from them
I THINK that the faction must have it researched (I had it no starting techs and tried 30+ times to steal from a hard and a light AI to no avail)
Definitely a chance to fail miserably, however doesn't consume assassins or spies
You get a random tech you don't possess

2. Catapult ships have burning rock
Catapult can miss on any 8 adjacent tiles
Thanks!
Josh
Detros

Post by Detros »

Thanks for all the answers, I will start putting those clarifications in and in few days also probably come with few more things to clarify as I go through it.
My first swipe through Help, aimed at grammar and typography is already out in v1.041. If you spot any more grammar or typos since that update let me know here so it can be put all together.
Detros

Post by Detros »

- All given answers from sections 1, 2 and 3 should be used now.
- Wording polished at various places, mostly at the beggining section about Garrisoning, Moving and Abilities.
- The info about Ornithopther in the unit overview table is updated: it used to say you need 6 turns to build it, that it has speed of 4 and damage of 1 (!).
- As Scout bird can clearly be stored both in TC and Guard tower, I have deleted the whole "Non-garrisonable units" section where it was the only example shown. Section about Garrisoning now notes "some units can't be garrisoned in some carriers".

2.9: With 15% penalty to hit chance per speed point of target, Ornithopthers can be never hit directly by Catapults, can't they? You have 150% penalty for it!

3.6: Is the chance to successfully steal a tech with Assassin the same as when you capture enemy TC (when there is something to steal you do not have yet)? So 10% basic chance, 40% with tech?
3.7: Stealing a tech just makes you get it researched and that player you stole it from does not lose it, right?
3.8: Can you steal even a teach you haven't unlock in Upgrades yet?
3.9: Beside stealing techs from them, can you also spy (show their production) at ally TCs?
Daruty

Post by Daruty »

2.9 is correct catapults can't directly hit an ornithoper
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

3.7-3.9 are all yes
Thanks!
Josh

Return to “Documentation”