Different ammo type for the orcish cannon

Alexander82

Different ammo type for the orcish cannon

Post by Alexander82 »

As in the original idea the goblin cannon should have use different ammo types (you can check here the original topic: viewtopic.php?f=106&t=2031)

I think we might implement the ideas we had for that unit to make it useful (as it is it isn't at all)
Age of Fantasy design leader
Alexander82

Re: Different ammo type for the orcish cannon

Post by Alexander82 »

These are the different ammo types that were proposed whit this unit
The goblin-Apult!" -goblin ammo costs 6 turns to research
It does exactly what it says, when fired it "catapults" a goblin spiker cross the battlefield to the designated space. The goblin takes a random amount of damage (if possible) and can then move normally. If the goblin hits a building there is a 10% chance that the building is converted, if it hits a unit theres a 20% chance that the enemy unit dies leaving the goblin in its place. The goblin always dies after hitting a structure. 2 turn cooldown time.

Burning ammo
Costs 4 turns to research
The catapult fires flaming ammo that causes medium burning damage to the target. Does large damage to buildings.

Skull ammo
Costs 6 turns to research
Fire the heads of your enemy back at them! Has a 30% chance to cause fear to every unit with 1 of the shot, leaves a corpse where it hits. Has no effect on undead or ents.
As you can see the first ammo (the only one we have in game) should have had a chance to convert the building and 20% chance to kill any target (good for trying killing strong units). also the goblin wasn't supposed to die when hitting a unit but only when hitting buildings (that might have been converted).

the 2nd type was the most useful for orcs that have no ranged siege and have no way to deal with ships.

the 3d type was a strategic kind of ammo and could have been good to deal with a swarm of ranged units (lowering the attack of many low attack units is useful).

On paper that was a great unit but as it is now is an incredibly worthless piece of unit that sacrifice another unit to deal a mere 8 damage...

Something seriously useless, as you can see.

I suggest to try, at least, the burning ammo and another kind like the skull ammo or at least a kind that deal a low splash damage. For example i might suggest a ammo called "scrap ammo" that should hit AoE in a range of 2 or 3 (around the tile targeted) with a low damage (like 8-10)
ejm29

Post by ejm29 »

I think this is a good idea, I don't think I can really see any situation that the current Cannon is useful in.
"I don't care who I have to step on on my way down."
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Exacty. In the next dev version daniel raised the goblin damage and it is less bad, but i think it is still a less effective unit (you might spend thos turns on something better).

The main problems are:

1) You can't choose the unit to shoot.

2) If you have no unit fit for a sacrifice (weak or dying unit) you have no alternative action.

3) If you skip the turn without using it, it automatically sacrifice random units to shoot random enemies.

Solving those problems is mandatory to make it useful (especially 1 and 3).

Return to “Archived - Other”