Dwarves rework MOSTLY DONE

Savra

Re: Dwarves rework

Post by Savra »

..., I wonder what a combination of the 2 would look like.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I really like the lower one, the only problem is that it seems more like a human (in terms of proportions it looks taller)
Age of Fantasy design leader
Savra

Post by Savra »

I measured it off of our dwarves in game, it's only slightly taller, but that's just the helm.
Savra

Post by Savra »

Just checked, yes they are shorter then the basic humans.
Savra

Post by Savra »

How's this for starters?
Attachments
Defender shield guard.png
Defender shield guard.png (1.77 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

For now we do not have strict plan for them but Defenders definately must have next unit types (no names for now, also i do not like "Defender" at the beginning of each name, try something more unique):
Shielder (with big shield)
Normal one (with shield + normal weapon, shield is smaller than shielder's one)
Pike/halberdier (anti-cav infantry role)
Crossbowman (they are defenders thus they must know how to deal with heavy armored units)
Ranged unit with rifle
Rune Smith (unique type caster that can give permanent bonus stats)
Mounted knight, anti-infantry
Mounted knight, anti-cavalry
Mounted knight, ranged (with gun)

Boars will be for main race only, bears for Slayers.

Defenders must not be fast thus no bears for them. Mammoths will be best.

As for image - it looks good but maybe change pose for axe holding. i do not like it being above head.
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
Put some numbers, compare to what other races have and so on...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Jerfoxman

Post by Jerfoxman »

Mammoth will be like the human elephant or not?
I think like a rhino rider
Don't work smart work intelligent
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Mammoths are bigger than elephants, mastodons are the mid term, slightly bigger than elephants but smaller than mammoths... Btw, i dunno if that is a good idea even if they were elephants... Defenders would look like fleas on them.

I think they don't need mounts, but if they do, they could use of some sort of armored turtle/tortoises or go straight to some vehicles.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Dwarven common land must be snow mountains and thus furry mammoths would be ideal mounts for them.

In terms of look - probably similar to human elephants but slightly bigger and furry (ofc with riders). As for inspiration - i want something like this for them:
makazuwr32 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 amWhen you ask to change something argument why...
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Savra

Post by Savra »

The shielders weapon is a mace, not an axe.

As special mount yes, a mammoth would be fine, but for the base cavalry a razor back boar would be fine, it's not going to be fast because of it being well armoured, but it would be powerful, focusing on strength and resilience more then speed.

The base dwarves have ordinary boars.

Savra

Post by Savra »

I will make:
Shielder
Hammerer
Riflemen
Crossbowmen
Phalanxer
heavy Lancer
Heavy cavalry
Mammoth rider
Captain

And that should be fine for now until later.

That way the have the basics ready.
Attachments
Defender shield guard.png
Defender shield guard.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
Savra

Post by Savra »

Phalanx guard.
Attachments
Defender phalanx.png
Defender phalanx.png (1.51 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
Savra

Post by Savra »

Something like this is more like what I see for base cavalry of defenders.
Attachments
Razor back guard.png
Razor back guard.png (2.15 KiB) Viewed 3128 times
Savra

Post by Savra »

Updated.
Attachments
Razor back guard.png
Razor back guard.png (2.17 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
Savra

Post by Savra »

I don't know what compelled me to look this up but apparently th is is a thing in Greek mythology. :lol:
Chrysaor:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/chrysaor

Might be something for main dwarves. :lol:
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Savra wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:16 pm The shielders weapon is a mace, not an axe.

As special mount yes, a mammoth would be fine, but for the base cavalry a razor back boar would be fine, it's not going to be fast because of it being well armoured, but it would be powerful, focusing on strength and resilience more then speed.

The base dwarves have ordinary boars.

There must not be any "basic cavalry" for defenders. They all are special forces.
It sounds like "special forces" inside "special forces" inside "special forces".

Also i prefer to make mammoths only cavalry for defenders.

Shield guard and phalanx are great.
Savra wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:52 pm Something like this is more like what I see for base cavalry of defenders.
This doesn't look that tough for defenders. It looks like tier 4 of boar riders.
Can't say that it would be as heavy as imperial knight. It would have just from its look to have weaker stats than imperial knight.

Imperial knight looks completely different from normal knight if you didn't notice. Not as another tier of normal knight.

Try to make 3 mammoth riders:
Mammoth guard
Mammoth lancer
Mammoth hawkeye
Savra wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:25 pm I will make:
Shielder
Hammerer
Riflemen
Crossbowmen
Phalanxer
heavy Lancer
Heavy cavalry
Mammoth rider
Captain

And that should be fine for now until later.

That way the have the basics ready.
Do not need to put literally all offencive units into one sub.
Hammerer would fit better for slayers.

Also as i mentioned above boars (even razor back boars) won't fit for defenders as for me. It is like asking to give ponies for imperials in place of their horses, gryphons and dragons.

Reason for mammths is because it fits perfectly for defender's role:
Big and tanky mount that must hold off enemy masses. It must not have high speed or some special mobility. Also if i would ask whom you would prefer as mount that must be focused on "strength and recilence" whom you will choose:
Boar that has base hp around 15-18 (maybe up to 22-24 because it is that special boar)?
Or mammoth that has base hp around 120 (maybe even higher because it must be more tough than elephants for sure)?

Ofc hp of mounted unit will also be added as well.
Savra wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:29 pm I don't know what compelled me to look this up but apparently th is is a thing in Greek mythology. :lol:
Chrysaor:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/chrysaor

Might be something for main dwarves. :lol:
Looks too chimerical and strange.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Savra

Post by Savra »

The problem I have with the mammoth idea is the ranged one mainly, we don't necessarily need that one being that they would already have enough, not even elves have a tanky ranged unit and ranged is their speciality (which reminds me of something), another thing is dwarves shouldn't focus on cavalry either.

I'll agree (reluctantly, and for the sake of time) to make the other 2 mammoths but I won't make the 3rd. Also the rune Smith should be for main race, and shouldn't have perma buff abilities, we don't even have perma debuff abilities so why do we need this. Their fine with un-disenchantable abilities, that should be enough.

As for hammerer, the defenders can have it, it won't take away from the slayers anything because slayers would have plenty of options to choose from anyway. The dwarven hammer guard will take on a more defensive role with better armour, and health while the slayer one would have better attack, and other things.

As for the flying boar, in Greek mythology it was pegasusus twin from medusa. Here it would serve no different role for dwarves then the pegasus knight does for humans.I

I might make the defenders cloud breaker cannon though.
Savra

Post by Savra »

This was rather difficult. But here's one for starters.
Attachments
Mammoth rider.png
Mammoth rider.png (2.89 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
makazuwr32

Post by makazuwr32 »

Savra wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:54 pm The problem I have with the mammoth idea is the ranged one mainly, we don't necessarily need that one being that they would already have enough, not even elves have a tanky ranged unit and ranged is their speciality (which reminds me of something), another thing is dwarves shouldn't focus on cavalry either.

I'll agree (reluctantly, and for the sake of time) to make the other 2 mammoths but I won't make the 3rd. Also the rune Smith should be for main race, and shouldn't have perma buff abilities, we don't even have perma debuff abilities so why do we need this. Their fine with un-disenchantable abilities, that should be enough.

As for hammerer, the defenders can have it, it won't take away from the slayers anything because slayers would have plenty of options to choose from anyway. The dwarven hammer guard will take on a more defensive role with better armour, and health while the slayer one would have better attack, and other things.

As for the flying boar, in Greek mythology it was pegasusus twin from medusa. Here it would serve no different role for dwarves then the pegasus knight does for humans.I

I might make the defenders cloud breaker cannon though.
Cannons would be for gnomes and for main parg of dwarves only.

As for permanent buffs - they would be costly: you will need to make 3-8 runes (each rune is same but they wi have low hp and low construction rate) and after that you need to sacrifice them in order to use 1 perma-buffing ability. This rune smith would only be able to start construction of runes.
Ofc rune smith will also have temporary buffs as well so you will choose - either make runes for permanent buffs or give temporary buffs to your units. Permanent buffs definately must be costly.

As for flying mount of dwarves i have few ideas...
Not a boar, please, though.

Ranged mammoth is fine because 1. It would be costly, 2. It would be compared to human elephant archer.
Elves by the way have alternative variant for "ranged tanky unit" - ent warrior the walking tower.
Also cavalry will not be dwarven speciality thus i think mammoth riders all must have permanently speed 2 (i general it is fine to gicve for dwarves cavalry but it must be more costly or weaker than comparable to them cavalry of other races and definately slower).

As for mammoth rider - i definately love it. Only i think eyes for mammoth itself could be made a bit bigger and more seen. That is only change for me that is required.

Agree with hammerer though.
© by Makazuwr32™.
AoF Dev Co-Leader
Savra

Post by Savra »

The mammoth rider was designed based off the elephant in game, the war elephant only has 1 pixel eyes too. So I think those are fine.

As for the rune smith, the only perm abilities I think would be fine is it they are non stackable ones, and ones that can't be stacked with others, e.g. Lifelink enchanted weapon can't be stacked with chilling weapon, being that the runes are embedded in the weapon or armour such things should only have one option, so dwarves can only get 1 armour rune, and one weapon rune placed on individual units and not multiple. The cost can easily be worked around via miners.
Savra

Post by Savra »

Crossbow guardian.
Attachments
Crossbow guardian.png
Crossbow guardian.png (1.63 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I think it is better to make the unit's concept before making the images.
We have a planned lineup for both defenders and slayers so I would start from those units and later we might consider expanding it.

Anyway I'm finding these somehow confusing. It is not the image quality but maybe the fact that everything is dark doesn't help really recognizing all the units.
Savra

Post by Savra »

I'll try and brighten things up a bit, my adamentium colour palette has only dark side and bright side with one middle colour (3 dark, 3 light) it's all on the units but I'll see about clearing that up and maybe expanding the midway colour.

As for units concept, I don't even know what you have suggested other then the riflemen and shielder.
Savra

Post by Savra »

Just thought of something... How is a lancer mammoth rider an effective anti cavalry unit when the mammoth itself is strong enough to plow through any cavalry without problems? I mean, the lancer is way up on top making it so that they can only poke at on coming cavalry and not simply joust them so that being said a lancer mammoth rider would be no different then the ordinary mammoth rider. I'll just switch it with the other I guess.
Savra

Post by Savra »

Actually, theirs nothing really holding them back from mounting a cannon up their is there? So long as the cannon is small enough and not the size of the mammoth itself it should be fine in theory.
Savra

Post by Savra »

Another.
Attachments
Rifleman shielded.png
Rifleman shielded.png (1.74 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
Rifle guardian.png
Rifle guardian.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
Savra

Post by Savra »

Hammer guard, 2 left and then I'll try and clear them all up together.
Attachments
Hammer guard.png
Hammer guard.png (1.51 KiB) Viewed 2895 times
Tankhead

Post by Tankhead »

Those are Redsigns or Another group?
"The smallest pebble was once the biggest stone, the biggest stone was once bigger"
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

@Savra would you mind focusing on skeletons monsters? I think we should add them before anything else (without them it is like undeads loosing one set of golden tier units)
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Tankhead wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:29 pm Those are Redsigns or Another group?

Defenders are one of the planned subs for dwarves. They are shaped on the original dwarven defender concept (they use plate armors and heavy shields and are meant for tanking enemies)

Slayers (another sub based on current slayer unit), on the other hand, will be damage dealers.

Return to “Closed ones”