unit reskins? a new way to add content?

Put here any discussion that does not fit to the specific forums.
Gral.Sturnn

unit reskins? a new way to add content?

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

MAP EDITOR
So basically I was thinking an easier way to implement ideas into the game and then I remembered you can edit a units stats in game with triggers (and also the dev was proposing an specific tool to do this function).

so I tought it would be usefull to be able to chose a unit "skin" in map editor for example.

Archer, muslim archer, viking archer, etc (its the same unit with the same stats but different "skins").

I have noticed that implementing new units takes its time and I am sure this would be an easier way to do it, making only necessary the sprite alone!!!

So whay are your ideas?
~Gral.Sturnn
godOfKings

Re: unit reskins? a new way to add content?

Post by godOfKings »

The problem with jsons is that u need to write name of img file in them and I don't think its easy to change name to a new image that u make, so all units have n unique Id, it is psbl to make a new unit with same stats as archer (just copy paste json of archer) with a new image, but it must have n unique Id different from archer (does making it different unit from basic archer)
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

What I think we can do is adding a submenu when we select a unit just like the normal one (infantry, archers, water) but inside every unit selection square
~Gral.Sturnn
LordOfAles

Post by LordOfAles »

I would rather keep it this way. Diverse stats is best.
I am, indeed, a big Witch King and Middle Earth fan if you didn't notice.
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

LordOfAles wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:33 pm I would rather keep it this way. Diverse stats is best.
We can keep it both ways what I an suggesting is that for units that dont have any special abilities or effects they could work as a reskin and even if you want it to be stronger you can edit it with triggers. Like if I want my archers to look like a viking then U can just change the skin beacuse, whats super special for a viking archer right? And even though if I want it to be stringer I can edit it
~Gral.Sturnn
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Gral.Sturnn wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:38 pm
LordOfAles wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:33 pm I would rather keep it this way. Diverse stats is best.
We can keep it both ways what I an suggesting is that for units that dont have any special abilities or effects they could work as a reskin and even if you want it to be stronger you can edit it with triggers. Like if I want my archers to look like a viking then U can just change the skin beacuse, whats super special for a viking archer right? And even though if I want it to be stringer I can edit it
Interesting actually. Implement a unit with an image but no stats as a map editor unit only
Thanks!
Josh
Gral.Sturnn

Post by Gral.Sturnn »

Exactly that would agilize the implementing process a ton
~Gral.Sturnn

Return to “Other discussions about the game”