Improving this game overall~

Put here any discussion that does not fit to the specific forums.
Ferranzo

Improving this game overall~

Post by Ferranzo »

Hey there. Not sure where to post this topic but i want to just address some things...

Ive played this game on and off, for quite sometime now. Ive even donated to support this game. But I feel this game isnt really growing. To slow of play, to many players that dont finish games.
What bothers me is how the developers of this game are making so many versions of this game. (Ex. Fantasy, wwII) Why not just focus on this game and make it great? Seriously this game is VERY unique in mobile gaming, really the only true strategy game. (Clash of clans does not count -_-) This is like a legit build an army, a base, and its not pay 2 win. Why not just focus on making this version great?
Another thing is turns. I think what keeps this game from being super popular is game speed. I really like aspect of having option of having 24h to do turns but if I want fast games, it just doesnt exist. Half hour games for some reason it still isnt fast enough.
I really want the developers to play a game called Battle for Wesnoth (may have heard of it) and try to match the turn speed. (When players join a game people stick around to do turns) i believe if developers really focused on improving this version instead of trying to take on several projects this game can really take off.
Any thoughts would be nice.
Regards,
Ferranzo
Ferranzo
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Re: Improving this game overall~

Post by Stratego (dev) »

thanks for telling me, the thing is

I feel you mainly say that the a multiplayer game is too slow (people takes theeir turns slow)
- and i can only say it is the current players response times
- and you would say we could do things to make them play faster, it is also about the current mechanics
- and i would ask what is your specific idea to change? - i will happily implement it! :)

also i will check that wesnoth thing to see other point of views.
Ferranzo

Post by Ferranzo »

Hey Daniel :)

I would say that it is mainly players response time. For some reason in Wesnoth you can have live games. (As im not a developer of any kind im not sure how mechanics go)

My idea would be to improve interface for starts. Wesnoth for example as you will see has updated itself to the point where it is very pleasing to load to! (The colors of buttons, grand music, background art, ect. I do like aos though too!) Not just the main menu though, multiplayer interface, ect. I feel like the overall graphics could improve but would really think keeping the retro look is a great idea. Maybe just improving on the retro look with shading, more animation? Again, Wesnoth has some interesting animations like simply having flags on village waving in the wind. Again, idk what it would take to make this happen with AOS mechanics but that would be the idea.
And of course, this game could use some more advertising. This is something I could actually help with. If you can continue the good hard work balancing units and implementing new ideas into the original AOS, I could muster up some will power to do some fan art advertising for game. Not a youtuber but I am an artist and can just post on reddit, different forums, ect.

Any other ideas on why you think this game isnt really taking off, and what I, or what everyone else can do to change current state please speak your mind!
Regards,
Ferranzo
Ferranzo
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

What I can come up with, is being able to watch players take their turns live or semi-live. I think this would improve multiplayer activity because instead of exiting out of the game, anxious to see the other's turns, players can stick around to watch player activity on the map.

We can also make some upgrades cheaper to get the new players progress into the game quicker.
OLÉ
Ferranzo

Post by Ferranzo »

Puss_in_Boots wrote:What I can come up with, is being able to watch players take their turns live or semi-live. I think this would improve multiplayer activity because instead of exiting out of the game, anxious to see the other's turns, players can stick around to watch player activity on the map.

We can also make some upgrades cheaper to get the new players progress into the game quicker.
Yes I agree. Being able to have an interactive game lobby with chat, current games, and the ability to actually observe games whether a game you just lost or even a random one would be huge. I would like to see live action in a game like this :)
Ferranzo
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

Ferranzo wrote:
Puss_in_Boots wrote:What I can come up with, is being able to watch players take their turns live or semi-live. I think this would improve multiplayer activity because instead of exiting out of the game, anxious to see the other's turns, players can stick around to watch player activity on the map.

Yes I agree. Being able to have an interactive game lobby with chat, current games, and the ability to actually observe games whether a game you just lost or even a random one would be huge. I would like to see live action in a game like this :)
Well, the only problem i think is this game still has small fanbase, even though it is a good game :/. And i don't really like to play multiplayer because the multiplayers is empty, my created game has been picked up after a few months, then the player Afk :P. I would play multiplayer if there was more people.
Currently exploring the wonder of dimension.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Dan301002 wrote:
Ferranzo wrote:

Well, the only problem i think is this game still has small fanbase, even though it is a good game :/. And i don't really like to play multiplayer because the multiplayers is empty, my created game has been picked up after a few months, then the player Afk :P. I would play multiplayer if there was more people.
Well, we are looking for ways to keep the players playing. If you have any cool ideas on how we can keep them from quitting multiplayer that would be awesome ! :)
OLÉ
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

To be fair, the slow game speed is honestly what makes the game kind of stand out for me, and I am sure it is the same for others who are busy/have jobs/school etc. From my experience, hotseat games can last anywhere from 1-5 hours or even more, depending on the map. I frankly don't have time to sit down and play a 3 hour game most of the time. However, the turn system allows people to play the game on the go (which makes sense as a mobile game), without having to spend hours at a time playing.

A fast paced online game system would probably be a great thing to add, but if the turn system was removed entirely, I have a feeling that this game would lose a large part of its player base.

Just my two cents :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Dan301002 wrote:
Ferranzo wrote:

i dont experience this, i always have 5-6 games runningin all apps (aos/aof/aow) and
- approx. 60% of them is running to the end,
- approx 20% of the rest is stops in middle (someone skipped-to-be ai) and the game contnues till the end,
- and the last 20% is the really bad thing, when all player wanishes and the game gets non playeble eg. playing with only kicked-player-AIs is not as good as against humans - i tend to withdraw these games.

so join a few and you will have numerous well progressing games
Ferranzo

Post by Ferranzo »

So what are your thoughts on why this game isnt that popular? And if you could make an option for hotseat play, and add a way to observe games I think that would really help multiplayer.
Doomcarrot is right as some games games can last for up too 5 hours if hotseat was available. Maybe impliment a way to save games if need be? Again any ideas on how to kick start this game again should be voiced.
Ferranzo
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

there is an option to hotseat game already.
observe: yes, not bad idea.

i checked this wesnoth thing, i like it, also love its "lobby", but am i missing something or it has fractions of downlads than AOS ?(AOS has now 800 000 downoads)

the main difference is:
- aos is a long running game with big maps and many units,
- and i see wesnoth is a fewer units on smaller maps thing
so (as Doomcarrot said)
- that game is a faster game with smaller battles,
- AOS is more bigger, more space, more units and more "strategy" kind of game - and you can play it in your free 10 minutes in middle of the day, to take a turn in one or two games, so not playing for 2-3 hours in a row (that is the campaign section that can take hours of playing)

but i think the ideas this wesnoth brings are
- nice feature if you can see others battles from the beginning - so observing is a cool idea
- nice feature to see the other's move while it is not your turn
- also nice feature if you dont need to close the game area while waiting for others to take turn (in a faster game)
- and also a nice addition to have a realtime chat while you are in the game area (realtime with those who are online too)
- and lastly the "lobby" thing can also be improved - however we already have a "chat" section, and (not in the same view) a join to a created game (call it lobby") section - maybe i could mix the two into one view/form/"activity" with andoid terms.

so these are nice ideas to add, but i feel that improving the gameplay (eg. grouping units, enable set mutiple waypoints to factories, eliminating "micromanagmenet" tasks and so on) are also as important (or more) than changing the multiplayer behavior, but lets see how others think.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

DoomCarrot wrote:To be fair, the slow game speed is honestly what makes the game kind of stand out for me, and I am sure it is the same for others who are busy/have jobs/school etc. From my experience, hotseat games can last anywhere from 1-5 hours or even more, depending on the map. I frankly don't have time to sit down and play a 3 hour game most of the time. However, the turn system allows people to play the game on the go (which makes sense as a mobile game), without having to spend hours at a time playing.

A fast paced online game system would probably be a great thing to add, but if the turn system was removed entirely, I have a feeling that this game would lose a large part of its player base.

Just my two cents :)
You can relax Doom, we aren't trying to remove the turn systems and make it a muliplayer game you finish in one sitting. We are trying to turn this into a hybrid form of these playing styles to benefit both types of players. :D
OLÉ
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

I'd definitely agree with every one of Daniel's points. I think the observing idea is a great one too btw!
Thanks!
Josh
Ferranzo

Post by Ferranzo »

Howdy!

Yes Daniel Wesnoth has fewer units smaller maps. Having a save option may be good idea for games? Idk. I definitely think a good lobby is needed though. Again better interface would be nice. How ever you see fit.

Another thing if you can do it, would be more game music variations. That would a nice touch if possible. I honestly believe improving those astethics and lobby would help game alot. Interface rlly needs to be 'flashier' :)
Ferranzo
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

about wesnoth: i see that multiplayer is totally dead there. i tried joining or creating a game that will be filled with player but i get no players joining ever and saw no open games ever....

flashier: ok! can you sketch the idea of being flashy? and on which part, the main menu you mean? thanks!

lobby: ok! please also make a sketch how would you imagine the lobby - thanks!
Ferranzo

Post by Ferranzo »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:about wesnoth: i see that multiplayer is totally dead there. i tried joining or creating a game that will be filled with player but i get no players joining ever and saw no open games ever....

flashier: ok! can you sketch the idea of being flashy? and on which part, the main menu you mean? thanks!

lobby: ok! please also make a sketch how would you imagine the lobby - thanks!
Hey :)
So Daniel couple things. Are you playing Wesnoth on computer or mobile?
Reason being on mobile there are several ports. One is Battle for Wesnoth Legacy, which is an outdated 1.10 port, (which no one ever uses) The Wesnoth app on IOS devices (not Legacy) you have to pay I think $3.99. Current version of Wesnoth is 1.12 I think on mobile. I am not sure of bought version is up to date.
Now on Android, the app is free and is up to date. Again, make sure you do not download LEGACY version :)
If you download on PC free, up to date.
Ferranzo
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

no, not legacy version. i played on android.
Ferranzo

Post by Ferranzo »

Ok. Well during day there are usually around at least 100+ poeple on and are a ton of games going :/ It should be quite active. I think for AOS though incorporating some of Wesnoth ideas would be cool! :)
Ferranzo

Return to “Other discussions about the game”