Sick of quitters.

Discuss any running multiplayer game or Find partners to play with.
Lynd

Sick of quitters.

Post by Lynd »

I created this user so I could contribute to the AoS community; first of all let me say that I find this game amazing, really love the old style graphics and board like dynamics and all... BUT... one thing that has been ruining it for me is the multiplaying, and I'm talking specifically about the other users... I am currently "playing" over 15 games and I can't believe how many people just quit, sometimes when they're not doing too well and others times for no particular reason.

Now, I understand some people might lose interest, their phone, whatever, but it's startling to me to see "some players" creating new games in the multiplayer when I see they're not taking their turns in other games... Very frustrating.

Finally, I think that while it's a fun option to have in the "player versus computer" games, the Tie Fighter unit really ruins the fun of multiplayer games. I never create it, because well... It's a medieval strategy game, I don't see the point of using overpowered laser shooting spacecraft... Sometimes I will mention it at beginning of game, but some people cheat (hide it in towers/castles) ... Is there an option to prohibit such units from being used in a game? :)
James.v

Re: Sick of quitters.

Post by James.v »

Quite new to the multiplayer side of this game, but I must agree is annoying starting matches, playing few turns and then waiting ....

One quick solution will be to be able to kick out players who miss turns, to not spoil the match for the remaining.

Another option would be to have the option to set the timer for the turn waiting period, quick game with 5mins turn for example, will keep everyone focus

Related to this, would be nice to not be kicked out of the game after I play my turn, leaving me as soectator in the game, for quick games will be excellent

I dont get the part about the tie fighter, suppose is in different app version, in which case an option to restrict app version to join a certain multiplayer game could be the solution.

Great game though.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

hello!
the Tie Fighter unit really ruins the fun of multiplayer games
ok i will get rid of it :) that was just a joke.
One quick solution will be to be able to kick out players
you can already do that (if you see "skip" on the game that means you can (at first) skip his turn, on the next when he does not take his turn, you can kick him)
would be nice to not be kicked out of the game after I play my turn
good idea! i will try to figure aout how that would work - what will you see when the other is taking his turn?
I dont get the part about the tie fighter, suppose is in different app version, in which case an option to restrict app version to join a certain multiplayer game could be the solution.
i did not get the point here.
Lynd

Post by Lynd »

Hello James V. (we're currently playing a game... bridge map :) )

Hi Daniel! Thanks for your reply.

About the Tie Fighter unit: no need for sarcasm lol ... :? I'm not saying you remove it at my wish, but I think a very good option would be to add a simple option to restrict it at the beginning of a game... In AoE there was an option to disable the cars too and other cheats.

James V. must not have acquires the TF upgrade through gems, most likely. I think he mentionned being a bit new.

Mmm... About the end-of-turn sequence, it has never bothered me... What I do think would be nice is to allow chat to continue even when it's not your turn? Currently we can only observe the map (that is good) but the chat button cannot be clicked, either to send a new message or to read previous ones.

Some thoughts...

I saw a discussion about charriot unit... that's interesting...

Maybe a Wheel research option? For charriot/wagon/etc... (I mean there's the "Writing" research too :P )

A big wish would be some kind of level progression for units, a la c&c type, with regular units being restricted to lvl 2,3 and special units a bit more... Must be a bit difficult to code into the game I imagine...
balint

Post by balint »

You have the option to restrict upgrade units, such Tie fighter
This is Hungary and winter is coming.
James.v

Post by James.v »

sorry for late reply.

skip: i found it, one turn skip, second turn kick, fair enough, probably will make it faster to be able to se in the multiplayer creation panel to have an auto skip and kick OPTIONS, just to not slow down the match to other players;
related to this i would love to be able to decide what is the allowed waiting time for players turn, if i know is 5 mins i ll stick around to play, if i know the adversary can take 24 hr i generally go back to my staff and take more times for turns

tie fighter: got it, i didn't discover or saw it yet

upgrades: the options in the game creation panel are perfect to restrict them, personally will prefer to have all set to none as default(upgrades and techs); this will make it more beginner friendly

end of turn: what i meant was to be sent back to the page with list of active multiplayer games, instead to be sent to other menu, hot seat could be nice too,but pointless if other players are not taking turn in a couple of minutes

about the quitters prob,
as i wrote in my review on the store,
as a way to see if players are tending to quit or not and based on that decide to accept them in the game, will be interesting to test
lets say your first 4 multiplayer games are not ranked, but from there on whenever you complete a game you earn an amount , and these will show beside your nickname with the num of games played
( player JAMES.V 15-18 , where 15 are the game completed, 18 the total game played) a more graphical and intuitive way to represent this is easy to figure out,
at that point the ability to restrict a match to a certain rank of reliability for players to join (ex: no player with less than 50% match completed can join ) will give to the match creator the flexibility to avoid quitters in serious match.

as final though, as advanced option for longer match(big maps for example) the ability to request a pause period to other player will be interesting, i have a couple of games taking quite long time, i will be sorry to be skipped or kicked , but is hard to be sure to be able to take a turn if the game drag it self for more than 2 weeks (here the importance to be able to set a custom timer for allowed turns as wrote above)

hope i was clear, if not just let me know.

cheers.
poopenstien

Post by poopenstien »

I first want to apologize for creating games and not playing them. I have done this. In my earlier days I did not realize deleting a game before anyone joined only deleted my ability to take a turn.

Secondly the tie fighter. It takes 14 turns to make and is easy to kill with a catapult. I don't think its a big advantage considering it takes less time to build a catapult and a wagon or a catapult ship. If the player starts the tie fighter early, then there are no (or few) defensive units to protect their towns and no (few) units to claim more towns; while starting tie fighters late means you have plenty of time to build ballistic defenses.

Third off, I love the idea of an option to change the turn period. Maybe a button that has a 24 hour, 8 hour, 1 hour, 15 min and 5 min option. 5 minutes seems a little low if its a game with a lot of units, I know I would be angry if I got skipped before I could finish my turn.

Fourth and finally a couple suggestions: even techs button. Enabling this button would mean no one has more techs than anyone else. If player three has yet to unlock axe throwers, no one has axe throwers. I think this button would work well with a button that enables any unit to be built in one turn.
James.v

Post by James.v »

About turn period option,
5 mins for turn was more about how much time do u have to start taking the turn than how much time u have to end ur turn,

But still if I want set an intense frenetic match with a 5 mins turn limit will put some interesting stress to the game.,
Who joins agree on the terms and should not be a prob avoid games with settings you don't like, like now for upgrades etc
Azteca

Post by Azteca »

James V. You're easy to beat mwuahahahahahhahahaha
James.v

Post by James.v »

Azteca wrote:James V. You're easy to beat mwuahahahahahhahahaha
Invite me in a game now then so you can show me your skills, and dont use consumables.
Azteca

Post by Azteca »

Sure.
James.v

Post by James.v »

About quitters,
It's getting very bad, hope a ranking system come out soon, now starting multyplayer is frustrating 80% of the times would say.
Pepe

Post by Pepe »

80% of the time??You're too poositive!!!! The solution of the AI taking control of the inactive player is not good. To play against the computer, I would have rather created an AI game and not a multiplayer one.

I am sure there should be a pattern to know that a player will be inactive. My suggestion is either on the side of the ranking system either by not making the multiplayer mode available unless you have played x games, or completed the campaing Y, or played z hours.

By the way, I've created a game. Password is: active55

PS: Yes, tie figther should be banned
balint

Post by balint »

Well, ban is not the best solution. Maybe a disable option?
This is Hungary and winter is coming.

Return to “Multiplayer discussions”