Carrot Cup 2017!

Discuss any running multiplayer game or Find partners to play with.
Detros

Re: Carrot Cup 2017! --Ongoing--

Post by Detros »

Start of my 29th turn: I lost again those two corner TCs. Score is 1125/1910.
End of my 29th turn: I gained back those two corner TCs. Score is 1409/1686.
tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

Finally,I win the game.COOLguy failed to stop the double point limit rule so he surrendered.

I forgot to take screenshots at start so I will not summarize much.

At start,COOLguy have a map adv so he tried to use his light cal to get 3 John towns in map bottom part.
I think that is the best and the only option he could do.I successfully predicted his light cal path, and I tried to build bridges to across the river as fast as possible.
COOLguy make a fatal mistake here:His light cal got the middle bottom town first.
I use a worker trick(sacrifice) so I can build bridges fast in order to make a ambush with wagon mongol&hussar.
If he get left bottom town first,he can hold at least 5 turns more.He can construct 2 more structures.

I think COOLguy preformed not well at start so this lead to the lose. :P
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Good game tamtam and COOLguy! Brackets will be updated!

Puss_in_Boots and I have just finished our game as well, and I am proud to announce a victory for the DCPR. The Erhm... pussy people? Lol not sure what to call them whatever Puss_in_Boots' people are called, fought well, but ultimately lost due to a couple of reasons.

Start:

As you can see, the starting positions were reasonably balanced, although I admit I might have had a slight edge in regards to being able to bridge about a turn or two more effeciently. However, I was second to go, so this advantage was probably somewhat offset.

Part 1: Scouting

I immediately began bridging to the mainland. I also made a scout bird, which I used to fly over the Northern territories, while I sent my light cavalry to snag the farther away Southern town centers. None of Puss' units were spotted. My strategy was to get an idea of Puss' early game positioning and strategy so that I could send counter units to give me an advantage in the early game rush.

Part 2: Spotted

Puss was spotted by my bird. I flew well into his territory, taking note of his units, progress, and possible strategies. I was fortunate enough to see his warship, a threat that probably would have been a serious thorn in my side, but I started work on some fire archers to prevent it from sailing up my rivers. I noticed his workers were building archery ranges and stables, so I decided to start work on a counter army: I began research on master skirmishers and halberdiers. Puss' scouts were not very far from his capital here.

Part 3: Conflict

My bird was killed. However, the knowledge it gave me helped massively in outmanuevering Puss at nearly every turn in this part of the game. Puss was able to grab one of the town centers by the large middle bridge for a turn or two, but I had already prepared to take it back. My fire archers kept his warships at bay, and Puss overall did not have many units at all to actually take town centers. He did create some orthnicopters, (possibly noticing how they crushed me last game?) which actually did a good job at beating down my meager defenses in the South, However, despite how hard he was hitting me, he never could actually take the town centers becausehe only sent one or two tc taking units at a time, which were easily picked off by my skirmishers.

Part 4: Danger

Puss began to rally. With my Southern tc's barely defended, he began to press harder, and with so few units in the area on both sides, it became a battle of the wits to outmanuever each other. I was barely able to hold the tcs, admittedly because I made a really lucky move with a pikeman when I was guessing where his troops were in the fog. In the Northwest, he was able to beat me out of a town center, and I realized that skirmishers would not be enough to defend it. I created an elephant archer as preperation to hold down the fort once I took it back.

Part 5: Breakthrough

Finally Puss had nothing left to throw at me. My superior production began to kick into full gear, and my overwhelming numbers forced him into retreat. Multiple armies of Hatamoto, legionairres, and centurions began to press the attack from all sides. Puss was dangerously close to the double point limit.

Part 6: Victory

I started my turn over the double point limit. Victory was declared. With my armies swarming over every bridge it was just a matter of time before Puss' defenses collapsed.

Final Notes:

Overall, I think my early game scouting was the major factor that helped me win. My knowledge of Puss' strategies before he could even set them in motion was invaluable. However, although my scouts helped me, Puss' hurt him. Puss had way too many scout dogs early game (I think I killed 3-4). That was much more than needed on that map, and that waste of production compounded with his pursuit of techs like orthnicopters and units like warships (both of which WERE smart) to create a situation where he had almost no ground troops. This was a fatal mistake. I was able to grab most of the tcs with little resistance besides harrassment from orthnicopters and warships, and it wasn't until later in the game that he actually sent in threatening units to take my territory. Had he done that earlier in the game, it might have lasted quite a bit longer.

However, he was a fun opponent to play, and was a good sport throughout the game. You win some, you lose some. Good game Puss_in_Boots. Brackets will be updated.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I always forget to stop producing scout dogs. :lol:

So I end up with more than I need.

You may call my people the, "Pibs!"
OLÉ
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Update: tamtam has moved on undefeated and gets to rest for a while, COOLguy is matched against DoomCarrot in the loser's bracket. :)
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

Already completed even before Detros & Duneix... :lol:
Currently exploring the wonder of dimension.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Lol, oh weol, tamtam will get a bit of a break :P
tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

DoomCarrot wrote:Lol, oh weol, tamtam will get a bit of a break :P
Good 8-)
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Hi Doom. I died :)
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Hi COOLguy. We should start our next game :P
tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

I root for DoomCarrot.If DoomCarrot open a medium size map,he still have a chance to win. :)
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Except COOLguy gets to make the map. :)
tamtam12345

Post by tamtam12345 »

:o
Detros

Post by Detros »

Detros wrote:Start of my 29th turn: I lost again those two corner TCs. Score is 1125/1910.
End of my 29th turn: I gained back those two corner TCs. Score is 1409/1686.
Duneix captures those TCs in his 30th turn, I get them back once again in my 31st... lots of pushing there and back...
Current score (start of duneix's 32nd turn): 1550/1914.
Detros

Post by Detros »

Duneix brought five heavy catapults on turn 33 and destroyed half of my base with them, taking the fortified TC and blowing my only catapult and one healer in the process. My other healer didn't manage to charm the catapult and remaining units were unable to destroy even one, too. I guess the next turn is the last one. Duneix, enjoy a turn of destruction.

Current score (start of duneix's 34th turn): 1459/2164.

Btw, duneix has so far managed to steal a tech in like 85 % of tries when there was one available AFAIK. Is there some stealing related tech other than Stealing which raises the chances from 20 to 40 % or is this just luck? Not that I researched too many techs that he can really use.
duneix

Post by duneix »

Detros wrote:Duneix brought five heavy catapults on turn 33 and destroyed half of my base with them, taking the fortified TC and blowing my only catapult and one healer in the process. My other healer didn't manage to charm the catapult and remaining units were unable to destroy even one, too. I guess the next turn is the last one. Duneix, enjoy a turn of destruction.

Current score (start of duneix's 34th turn): 1459/2164.

Btw, duneix has so far managed to steal a tech in like 85 % of tries when there was one available AFAIK. Is there some stealing related tech other than Stealing which raises the chances from 20 to 40 % or is this just luck? Not that I researched too many techs that he can really use.
Yeah I think the game is now over, as I have every tc and 6 or 7 heavy catapults around. Score is something like 2500/1100, not sure.

About technologies, actually it's only luck ;)
Detros

Post by Detros »

At the end of my 34th turn the score is at 1211/2532. As I am at 48 % points I am withdrawing. Thanks for playing, duneix.
Summary with screenshots somewhere next week.

Dan, I will be ready to start in two days (Tuesday) so wait with creating the new map a bit. Select any one you want, just not High Grassland again as my last three MP games were there. Thanks.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Aha, duneix kills yet again. At least it was a good game, from the sound of it. Brackets will be updated tonight! :)
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Ok, brackets are updated! Current games are:

Duneix vs Daniel

Detros vs Dan301002

DoomCarrot vs COOLguy

Good luck!
duneix

Post by duneix »

Detros wrote:At the end of my 34th turn the score is at 1211/2532. As I am at 48 % points I am withdrawing. Thanks for playing, duneix.
Thank you to you too!

Honestly, I would have preferred a better position for you because that was almost impossible to for you to win. But you were really brave, congrats!
duneix

Post by duneix »

Detros wrote:At the end of my 34th turn the score is at 1211/2532. As I am at 48 % points I am withdrawing. Thanks for playing, duneix.
Summary with screenshots somewhere next week.

Dan, I will be ready to start in two days (Tuesday) so wait with creating the new map a bit. Select any one you want, just not High Grassland again as my last three MP games were there. Thanks.
By the way, could you please surrender? Else the game will never end..
-> open your game, option menu on the bottom left, surrender
Detros

Post by Detros »

@duneix:
I have already done so two days ago. Let me check if it is uploaded properly.

EDIT:
I reloaded all MP games while connected to net. Did it propagate to you now?

@Dan:
OK, I am ready now, send me a PM with the password for the map, please.
Dan301002

Post by Dan301002 »

Already send it, the match between me and Detros will be held in the River Loop. Which in one of my multiplayer game (now) i got a very bad spot, small place with only 3 tcs to defend myself against 2 player (1 player try to push catapult while 1 player mass-produce castle). It's only because of that spot i am in a pinch, in this match the spot seems nice.

I already learn my lesson to not use the islands map from my match against Daniel. :lol:
Currently exploring the wonder of dimension.
Detros

Post by Detros »

Dan301002 wrote:Already send it, the match between me and Detros will be held in the River Loop. Which in one of my multiplayer game (now) i got a very bad spot, small place with only 3 tcs to defend myself against 2 player (1 player try to push catapult while 1 player mass-produce castle). It's only because of that spot i am in a pinch, in this match the spot seems nice.

I already learn my lesson to not use the islands map from my match against Daniel. :lol:
Thanks, map looks nice. The TC group on your side seems to be bit more compact but me starting may be enough to negate that. Good luck, have fun.
duneix

Post by duneix »

Well game with Daniel hast started.

Well last game I was very lucky...this time not at all as we had the same start (dog and light cavalry) but after 6 turns he's got 7 tcs (800points) while I have only 4 (480 points) with nothing around (I won't post it but screenshot is terrible)

PS: that's a pity that the issue from 50% of the games on smaller maps is decided by the position at the beginning (cause let's be honest, having 2 tcs or less than the opponent makes the game impossible to win)
Wouldn't it be possible to update the game generator, making him check the way points and telling him:
. 1 tc should be located at less than 3 tiles from the starting tc
. 1 tc should be located at less than 3 tiles from the 2nd tc
. 1 should be located at 24-30 (or any multiple of 6 because players should always use light cavalry or horse archers at the start) land tiles from one of the 3 starting tc
. or 12 to 18 land tiles + 3 water tiles
And so on

That would assure a better repartition of the tcs?
Detros

Post by Detros »

@duneix:
Can you please confirm the withdrawing did propagate this time?

Also, yes, TC distribution is an important factor. For 20x20 maps I would at least advice to use the High option for TC count next time. It should be easier to battle 5 to 7 instead of 3 to 5.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

duneix wrote:Well game with Daniel hast started.

Well last game I was very lucky...this time not at all as we had the same start (dog and light cavalry) but after 6 turns he's got 7 tcs (800points) while I have only 4 (480 points) with nothing around (I won't post it but screenshot is terrible)

PS: that's a pity that the issue from 50% of the games on smaller maps is decided by the position at the beginning (cause let's be honest, having 2 tcs or less than the opponent makes the game impossible to win)
Wouldn't it be possible to update the game generator, making him check the way points and telling him:
. 1 should be located at 24-30 (or any multiple of 6 because players should always use light cavalry or horse archers at the start) land tiles from one of the 3 starting tc
And so on

yes, seems not fair now, i see almost all maps and i barely see any TC of yours :)
do you want a fresh start?
duneix

Post by duneix »

Daniel (the dev) wrote:
duneix wrote:Well game with Daniel hast started.

And so on

yes, seems not fair now, i see almost all maps and i barely see any TC of yours :)
do you want a fresh start?
No no, I'm not complaining, I wasn't saying that in order to restart the game! Let's play it and see what will happen. ;)
I was just thinking how to improve it ;)
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

COOLguy, are you going to make the game? Still have received no PM....
Detros

Post by Detros »

The score is currently 942/698 at the start of Dan301002's 7th turn.
The bigger spread of TCs on my side may have actually been good for me as getting to them I can use full speed of starting light cavalry and capturing then grants me bigger claimed area. Dan has 1 TC on his side to capture, I have 2 as I pushed to grab those in the middle first. I partially hope he manages to get to the last one in the middle before me or this will be, at least for a while, 11:7 TC match. But we haven't clashed yet so maybe my esteem of my situation is too high. Dan, show me your dirty tricks.

Return to “Multiplayer discussions”