sniper IMPLEMENTED

Puss_in_Boots

Re: sniper

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

First strike is used by knights affected by the knighthood tech in AoF.
OLÉ
godOfKings

Post by godOfKings »

basically if a low hp infantry atks sniper and sniper has bonus, the infantry might die without dealing any damage at all...
There is no place for false kings here, only those who proves themselves to b the true kings of legend, or serves under me

For I watch over this world looking for those worthy to become kings, and on the way get rid of the fakes and rule over the fools
AquaAbyss

Post by AquaAbyss »

When will the German and Russian snipers be put in the game?
May the waves flood the land and fill the air; only fish will rule!
StormSaint373

Re: sniper +IMG

Post by StormSaint373 »

Agreed, what else is needed?
Beware the calm before the Tempest. . .
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

we need to know if current sniper is good as it is now - is it?
if so we can make the new snipers.

my tought: actually i think any other unit (eg. machinegun) is better than current sniper (to kill other infantry) - so i never train snipers, what about you?
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Their range and statistics should not have been exaggerated, so I think that caused a bump on the road. Also with the current image, it looks like it can crawl like a worm at the same pace as infantry that are walking. I strongly disagree with giving them range similar to mortars.

I think this should be a more defensive unit that can avoid more damage than machinegunners.
OLÉ
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

they have 1 range now - dont they?
StormSaint373

Post by StormSaint373 »

Currently

15hp
6 att
1 range

400% bonus vs infantry

And Range 4 insta- kill of exposed infantry units

Can the att animation get fixed plz? The sniper shoots an arrow.

As for these stats, they're fairly balanced.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

range 4?
must not have more range than 1 - i go check.
StormSaint373

Post by StormSaint373 »

The special ability that has a CD of 3 or 4.

Not basic att.

Although, personally, I believe that the sniper should have a passive range of 2-4. They are known for long Ranged combat.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

everything under 4000m should have 1 range in game,
so would look very bad that a 1km (max 2km) shot would be multiple tiles.
StormSaint373

Post by StormSaint373 »

So range 2 then?

Or not the best idea...

The reason why I ask is...

• Sniper has much less hps than standard infantry
• as far as I know, they aren't stealthed.
• and as opposed to other infantry units,. They cost more.
• their passive bonuses vs infantry aren't high either.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

So range 2 then? i try to avoid

Or not the best idea...

The reason why I ask is...

• Sniper has much less hps than standard infantry - it was only a mistake not raising with other infantry - ok i raised it to
• as far as I know, they aren't stealthed. - ok i gave them stealth.
• and as opposed to other infantry units,. They cost more. - now after my changes 3 turns seems ok
• their passive bonuses vs infantry aren't high either. - what does passive bonus means? however i have increase bonus against infantry to 600%

uos 10
StormSaint373

Post by StormSaint373 »

Ex: bonuses vs Infantry 100%

Passive: no special ability to make a unit better vs something.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

I'll try drawing images that match their abilities in game too then.
OLÉ
StormSaint373

Post by StormSaint373 »

Seems all they need is a standing img for each...
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

@Stratego (dev) On this update, snipers are working really different, like an exported version of assassins from aos/aof, it insta kill any target (infantry, vehicles, buildings...) but is istant killed. Also, the sharpshoot hability does have 1 range... Is that intended? The unit looks very broken now.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Insta kill should be removed, It should take 0% counter damage with suggested stats and lack of any range >1.

Instant kill works best on kamikize rockets I think, if not just fixed amount of damage+ bonuses with self sacrifice on action.
OLÉ
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok here is the json, please modify, thanks!
Attachments
unit_us_inf_sniper.json
(3.32 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Changes:
-stealth forces block on being stepped on.
-34 hp
-8 power, with 450% bonus on inf and non combat vehicle.
-First Strike
-100%counter dodge
arrow sprite change to big_aa.png instead of arrow.png

Is anyone underwelmed, or would you use this unit to against enemy infantry?
Attachments
unit_us_inf_sniper.json
(3.53 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Last edited by Puss_in_Boots on Fri May 17, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OLÉ
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Idk, i actually liked that older version (the one with 1 base range and 3 with skill)... So perhaps we could export something like the reptilian camaleons from AOG
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

In a sci-fi game, I can imagine snipers shooting as far as the eye can see with energy/ other non gravity affected projectiles, and scopes that can not only zoom all the way to the horizon, but even guide the projectile.

However this is WW2, and sniper rifles were really just rifles with a scope attached, bolt action or not.
OLÉ
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

I know, i was thinking about that and the problem is that it is hard to find "equilibrium" of realism and balance on this case... For this game... Dealing with distance of so different warfare fields (land, sea, air) following stuff in-risk makes it impossible to equilibrate it on a way that won't feels unfair for some side... Trying to calculate the standarized range of an unit based on the perspective of a map of a bridge, or a map of a whole city, or a map of a country or a whole continental map is really breaking the range logic, i think we should focus on the actual tile range than on worrying about their real/efffective range that can end with something not enjoyable/expected when playing with the unit.

Anyway, my deepth thought is that a Sniper with melee range isn't a Sniper. So at least, the hability should have more than 1 range.
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

The easiest way to scaledown a battle is to just use change obj range trigger (it's what I plan to do), but most random maps are large scale gameplay. For example Italy map is a roughly 25/25 tiles, can one imagine docking troops onto Sicily to be shot accurately enough by sniper fire from the other side of the coast to take more than half casualties or even wipe out the entire squad (with ability)? Also another reason not to give straight trajectory weapons range is because they can't arc enough to get past walls or other stuctures from my perspective.

My idea was that we can interpret and implement it a new way by keeping them distant enough to stay out of range (meaning 100% Counterdodge) unless unit has bonus like a machinegun that is good at pelting infantry from a good distance, but in the case of which it does get attacked. They will have expected them after observing from their scopes, so they can deliver the first blow before they're in enemy's range. They deal 18 damage which should be enough to survive smg 2x attack given their less effectiveness than machinegunners. It's a decent defensive unit if you ask me.
OLÉ
Dagravian

Post by Dagravian »

Actually, I can see something like that... The smallest part of "Messina straight" (i guess the name is something like this) is around 3,3km... The ww2 rifles could actually shoot from one side to another so it might be possible to score few kills after some attempts (at least theorically, so i like to think that the cooldown are the failed attempts on these ranged shoots).

So on our situation, it depends on what you mean with squadron, for me is exactly those 3 to 1 units seen in the tile...
Until this squad notice that they are being attacked (when the first man is down), the sniper already had the time to calibrate his scope to that distance, so even if we take these 4km for each tile as the minimal range, on this case the sniper should be able to take out few guys at that distance as it would still have 700m of free terrain for both sides of the straight. And ofc, the squad would need to know where is the sniper to retaliate. I can't say that a single sniper is able to hold a whole landing force but he might be able to score some kills with that range... (That's actually a nice idea to do for a map)

I agree with that, but think that could be solved when "obstacles became able to block units vision", one unit should not be able to see or shoot on something behind of one cover or another defensive unit, unless someone else detect them for him and his weapon shoots in arc.

Well, it is interesting interpretation but i'm not sure about that, it does require the user to guess that aswell, perhaps it shoud state the counterdodge on the stats aswell or something about that... I'm open to test but still prefer the older one. (But that isn't like we could not have one alternative sniper with desired attributes anyway).
Stay Awesome!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

i think these are in - or do we miss any?
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

They still act as assassins from AoS and we're missing snipers from several other countries.
OLÉ
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

ok i have put in your last json but i have fixed this line to this:
"trnSpecUnitActions":["ATTACK_FIRST_STRIKE", "STEALTH_ONLY_UNIT", "STEALTH_FORCES_STEP_BLOCKED", "STEALTH_CAN_SEE_STEALTH"],

also i made it to be range 2 - lets try (however will be weird ssome tanks have only 1 range :))

also i will make copies to other nations (german and russian) should there be any stat difference?

we dont have german sniper image.
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

The standard hp and damage differences between nations infantry.
40hp for Russian
+1 dmg for Ger.
OLÉ
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:18 pm we dont have german sniper image.
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=492&sid=3644e400c ... =30#p54020
OLÉ

Return to “Implemented/Closed ones”