Nations

Put here any ideas about new suggested game types comes into your mind.
Belosteel

Re: Nations

Post by Belosteel »

Puss_in_Boots wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:24 am It doesn't look bad, but the concept has a flaw. We can't make horses stay in an uncomfortable stance, because it will look unnatural for it to keep that pose and much more for the rider to fight from it.
Hmm, Yeah you have a point there good thing I didn't work on it.
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

except if it has an animation to sometime make this pose and later standing normally :)
Belosteel

Post by Belosteel »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:30 pm except if it has an animation to sometime make this pose and later standing normally :)
Yeah if we had sprites that used 64x64 then it could work now I'm sure that it would become ugly or unrecognisable.

Btw are there any topics about changing the size limit for characters to make the game more detailed?
Yes i know that the whole game needs to have a remake but maybe it's a future plan to level up the game itself.
Belosteel

Post by Belosteel »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:30 pm except if it has an animation to sometime make this pose and later standing normally :)

Hmm but it's still possible to make a unit hight 64 and width 40 right? Like for instance i make this horse i drew stagger and then standing normal but i need more width then 32 somewhere maybe 40 to look like a normal animation. Is this against the rules of creating a unit?
Puss_in_Boots

Post by Puss_in_Boots »

32 is max width for tile and unit inside a tile, anything wider must be a mega unit.
OLÉ
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

Belosteel wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:07 pm

Hmm but it's still possible to make a unit hight 64 and width 40 right? Like for instance i make this horse i drew stagger and then standing normal but i need more width then 32 somewhere maybe 40 to look like a normal animation. Is this against the rules of creating a unit?
we can try if it will only overlap for the little time of animation.
Belosteel

Post by Belosteel »

@Puss_in_Boots
Well this horse is special like the horse in the link I'll post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xfTGXawZe6M
Perfectly normal lmao :lol:
Belosteel

Post by Belosteel »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:47 pm
Belosteel wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:07 pm

we can try if it will only overlap for the little time of animation.
@Stratego (dev)
I made some screenshots to show how much it will overlap to the right
The red line is 32 bits so the snout of the horse is overlapping the 32 border by 4 bits.
I have put a 32x32 unit to show the scale of the horse.
Maybe i need 2 more bits to the right for the horse to look good but probably not
And i think making the horse smaller to fit the screen would make it look tiny compared to a ground unit.
So will this be oke? Or am i just better of not making it.
I can make the horse and a basic unit and then post it here for maybe future new horse projects?
Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) »

sorry i had to remove attachment image again - but i saw it and this way it is not good as the horse "rest" position will overlap other units on right, i thought only the "animation" will overflow on border, not the rest image.

my suggestion is:
- side view is not so natural in this "i wanna look little more 3D" game :) so i suggest the horse as the boar rider looks in AOF - see attached, so in a little angle from topleft-to-bottom-right like it was walking little downwards.
- the animation can exceed the 32px eg. by swinging the horsea head left (tru border) and back to "rest" position.

in rest position i mean the "mostly" seen state of the horse - so it will mostly not overlap the tile on the side.
Attachments
unit_dwarf_dwarven_boar_lancer.png
unit_dwarf_dwarven_boar_lancer.png (1.1 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
Belosteel

Post by Belosteel »

Stratego (dev) wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:35 pm sorry i had to remove attachment image again - but i saw it and this way it is not good as the horse "rest" position will overlap other units on right, i thought only the "animation" will overflow on border, not the rest image.

my suggestion is:
- side view is not so natural in this "i wanna look little more 3D" game :) so i suggest the horse as the boar rider looks in AOF - see attached, so in a little angle from topleft-to-bottom-right like it was walking little downwards.
- the animation can exceed the 32px eg. by swinging the horsea head left (tru border) and back to "rest" position.

in rest position i mean the "mostly" seen state of the horse - so it will mostly not overlap the tile on the side.
@Stratego (dev)
Yes no problem the message was more for you.

Hmm you drive a hard bargain asking for an animated horse facing down with a 32 width bit sheet. :P

But yes you are right why not start something like this, if in the future maybe all units will be more 3d.
Need to test if it is even possible for me to make such an animated unit and also be pretty.

I've seen people taking images that are 8bit from the internet can someone link those site's, I can't seem to find good ones.

Also do we have a topic where all the made units are downloadable becausr i couldn't find that either? Will come in great use.
knight1111

Post by knight1111 »

I like @godOfKings concept, having a few big factions would be easier to balance/implement than having dozentz of smaller factions. I also think that the general bonuses shouldn't be super strong. Having a tech instantly reserched does not have a lot of impact on the late game (sorry for my english btw)

Return to “New game types in the game (like capture the flag)”