Unit design help. Images look blurry

Here you may find answers to your questions.
sortablebird

Unit design help. Images look blurry

Post by sortablebird »

I'm trying to make some unit images for the age of strategy games. I use my own program. I render the image in 64x64 px resolution with a transparent background. The image looks fine in the program but when i save it as a .png it loses its detail and looks blurry, instead of pixelated. I don't know why, and not sure if it's good.

This is how it looks like once I save it as a png image
SPMA-T pink.png
SPMA-T pink.png (5.55 KiB) Viewed 10078 times

So this is the program I'm using, and that's how the spma-t looks like in 3d view if anyone is wondering. On the left is the finished render
blender, render on the left.png
blender, render on the left.png (216.53 KiB) Viewed 10078 times
Alexander82

Re: Unit design help. Images look blurry

Post by Alexander82 »

I think you should manually reshading it by marking more the most visible lines
Age of Fantasy design leader
sortablebird

Post by sortablebird »

So what do you mean by manually reshading it ? You mean like open the image, and try to edit it ?
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

You will have to manually do some pixel work, no matter how you choose to create the image.

Like Alexander said, the easiest way to make it look less blurry is to make the (necessary anyways) black border around the entire unit. Also, sharp black lines can help seperate parts of the design without making it look blurry.

Of course, you will have to do some reshading in general too. Also, the teamcoloring will have to be painted manually as well.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
sortablebird

Post by sortablebird »

MightyGuy put a black border around one of the images. Yeah it looks better, but the inside looks still blurry.
A_Star_destroyer.png
A_Star_destroyer.png (2.26 KiB) Viewed 10069 times
But there should be some way to make it show each pixel. It is 64x64 px.
MightyGuy

Post by MightyGuy »

how did your model saving as png file? I think its blur because the png file size is low (ex:5 kb, 2.55 kb, 788 b..) I think your model is not for png that the file size is low (i think your model shuld be 20kb above for converting it as png file.

or what app/program did you use?
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

You need to reshade everytjing. Put a single color inside the spaced between the black lines and shade it manually by adding light (white eith transparency) and shadows (blavk wirh transparency) that way it won't look blurry
Age of Fantasy design leader
sortablebird

Post by sortablebird »

@Mightyguy, the program Im using is called blender.
@Alexander82, yeah i think you are right. But ill still try to find a solution later.
And btw my images got completely screwed somehow lol. I save them as transparent png but instead it shows a black background. Example is on my profile picture.
Does anyone know whats that all about ?
Last edited by sortablebird on Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Probably because it is not transparent. Most images/formats are not unless manually done.

In other words, open the imag in an editor, and erase all the black stuff. :lol:
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
sortablebird

Post by sortablebird »

Now this is just stupid. All of a sudden i cannot make transparent images. All the settings are correct, it is alpha transparent, png. Must be some bug.
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Are you using an image editor? (not blender)
sortablebird

Post by sortablebird »

Same thing. Render in blender, save as png image, and now I cannot make background transparent.
MightyGuy

Post by MightyGuy »

2 ways to do:

-try not a 3d rendering program (2d pixel 8 bit up/ 24 bmp (full colors) )

-use 2d pixel program (e.g Paint.net, Gimp, GraphicGale « Windows)
(e.g Pixel art editor, Pixel Touch Sprite maker, Isopix Pro, Pixel Studio..etc « Androids)

Return to “FAQ”