Units stored in carriers ANSWERED

Detros

Units stored in carriers ANSWERED

Post by Detros »

When a carrier unit dies (be it by attack, trigger, the Kill button or a spell) only the unit from the first garrison place is placed on that tile instead. And _only that one.
So if there were two or more units stored in that carrier they are blasted to smithereens in the process.

Possible ways to deal with it:
1) place all carried units in the carrier tile: But can current engine work with more units at the same tile without any carriers involved?
2) place all carried units around the carrier tile: What if they are full? How far would you check? Could one use this to get a unit over river or some other blockade?
3) leave it so:
  • Is it in Help file? I think not, I will add it to the next iteration.
  • How is the game currently dealing with this state? Is score updated as if you used "Kill" button on those destroyed carried units?
Problem is the list of garrisoned units is apparently not ordered. Each time you load a game the order _randomly_ changes. This is not problem elsewhere but it means when you have, say, a wagon with 3 different units and the wagon gets destroyed, which unit will be the only survivor is at that moment deterministic (first position) but reloading leads to random behaviour (order changes).

Are these mechanics known and intended?
I think this at least needs more documentation but because the behaviour itself seems to be problematic I put this under Game section of reports.
COOLguy

Re: Units stored in carriers

Post by COOLguy »

I think everyone who is familiar with the game is aware of this. Maybe if there was a mechanic to determine the the order of the units in the carrier.

What do others think?
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Yes, this is a feature of the game I believe. And I believe it should be kept. It makes it more dangerous to put many expensive units in a wagon, and just adds a lot more to the gameplay in general imo.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

I agree with doomdabad, the risk of putting to many siege weapons in a wagon should be significant. It's a good defensI've tactic to break full wagons
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
Detros

Post by Detros »

COOLguy wrote:I think everyone who is familiar with the game is aware of this.
Well, I am still quite new.
Let's use the path n. 3 and keep this "only one unit survives" approach.

But thus
- I will add a short warning in the Help about this mechanic.
- So how is this situation treated by game point-wise?

Also I still don't like much that "the order is random" part of this deal.
DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot »

Well, every strategy game has a luck factor in it, that is what keeps the game unpredictable. In AoS, it is wagons, conversions, accuracies, etc.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.
Detros

Post by Detros »

DoomCarrot wrote:Well, every strategy game has a luck factor in it.
Chess?
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

Detros wrote:
DoomCarrot wrote:Well, every strategy game has a luck factor in it.
Chess?
Every strategy game that can never be rendered obsolete. :) AI will soon make chess go the way of tic-tac-toe. ;)
Thanks!
Josh
DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot »

Chess has luck, against human players: sometimes you must hope that your opponent does an ok move instead of an amazing move when they have the chance to do either. :lol:
Detros

Post by Detros »

So "when carrier dies, only the unit in the first slot survives" should stay in, OK.
I am now wondering what happens when a carrier bigger than 1x1 and with multiple units garrisoned dies. Need to try Trojan Horse and with Castle. There should be space for all garrisoned units so possibly all can survive.
duneix

Post by duneix »

well I also like the fact that if a building (tower, castle, ...) or transportation unit is destroyed, only one unit survives. It adds fun :)
Detros

Post by Detros »

duneix wrote:well I also like the fact that if a building (tower, castle, ...) or transportation unit is destroyed, only one unit survives. It adds fun :)
So it works even for castle where there is enough space to drop garrisoned units too?
Hardeep

Post by Hardeep »

Detros wrote:
duneix wrote:well I also like the fact that if a building (tower, castle, ...) or transportation unit is destroyed, only one unit survives. It adds fun :)
So it works even for castle where there is enough space to drop garrisoned units too?
Yes
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope
limyuee

Post by limyuee »

What time will change the gameplay ?
hi i newbie

Return to “Implemented/Answered”