Elf wizard:piercing wind

enrich

Elf wizard:piercing wind

Post by enrich »

A spell that replaces clear vision in wizards and gives archers (fast archers*who else*) the ability to ignore armor. Sadly with the current meta (the rise of them orcs and to a lesser extent the imperial knight) an ability like this is necessary for the elfs to stay relevant. Elfs can still come out victorious but u would need to be facing someone...not so good.

It will be an upgrade so that they dont become OP in non upgrade games. It will cost 6 turns to research. The spell should either last only one turn with a 2 turn cool down or two with a 4 turn cooldown.It wont work on building and wooden units for obvious reasons. It will also not work againt skeleton units partly because there is no flesh/good-ol-fashioned-armor to pierce and because the elves can already deal fairly well with the undead.

The maximum damage this can do is 14. This is slightly better damage than a fully powered up ent warrior against a heavily armored unit. Which is respectable if you need to deal with an onslaght of bulky units. The. cooldown is necessary so that the skill is balanced but still usable.

Elfs really need a skill like this to help stay competitive against the power creep and bulkiness creep that is currently taking over the meta. We shouldnt just be making more units that will just end up making others completely obsolete or units that are unusable in the first place (*cough*elf warrior /swordsman*cough*).
Midonik

Re: Elf wizard:piercing wind

Post by Midonik »

NO WAY! ELVES ARCHERS ARE TO OP,CANT IGNORE ARMOR!!!
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
MightyGuy

Post by MightyGuy »

i agree with Midonik :(
enrich

Post by enrich »

Did you guys even read my entire post or are you guys still tramatized from the time that elves were everywhere. If elf archers are op then why is their usage down?? Everyone now prefers orc because they are just plain better. They lack the raw power and bulk of the orcs to be able to go around capturing tcs. ANY HALF-DECENT player playing orcs can easily beat elfs. All they have to do is load a few powered up orcs units into a wagon with trample, double strike and strengten and the SHEER SAVAGERY COMENCES. Slowing wont help and neither will hiding behind a pack of pups. They all just get one shoted. Ents may try to help out but together with the shaman ettins are effectively bulkier with an offensive pressence since they cant be slowed down to a halt.

At this point you cant really say that archers are op when it often takes a couple of them to take down an average orc unit. For ettins and orc kings it takes a group several turns, mind you with regen its practically futile.

With the GENIUS advent of effectively making the stone shelter the best defensive tower the orcs are have become a great defensive race also. The tower can one shot elf archers and two shot a lot more units. No other tower can do this. It makes it so that even if an elf unit manages to steal a town it will only be for a turn and all the while they try to take down one the orcs can build more in its place.

[again]The power creep is real and the meta needs to be rebalanced instead of just being reactionary and adding more and more op units. The orcs are a perfect example: they jumped from the lowest use to the highest.

Now i understand that piercing damage might be op with elf but otherwise they cant remain competitive against orcs. Its obvious that it it were like eagle eye it would be abused and revive their reign of terror but thats why the spell should have a long cool down turn effectively making it a strategic decision between summoning an ent for attack and to help sponge attacks and this ability to attack a far away target.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I disagree, and i'll explain why.

Basic archers can't ignore armor since costly armored units are made specifically to defend from arrows.

It is like making cavalry ignore spears.

Armored units are made to fight archers that can easily dispose unarmored units from a distance.

What you need is a specific counter against those units.

I've proposed the elven sentinel to be an anti giant unit that will act as a counter against giants.

An elven player can stop swarming archers and making the specific counter like any other race (until now elves just made archers and killed any unit with them, and an ability that allows them to ignore armor will just bring back that imbalanced situation).

Archers are very strong since a huge number of them can attack at once (twice for fast archers) and are faster than infantry, so they are meant to deal a low damage.

Even right now i tried a battle against orcs and you can face them adding elf wizards to spam ents that are both a protection and damage dealers.

Also elves are very fast and they can win a game even before that a orc player think of making an upgraded orc leader.

What the game need is a greater amount of option to allow new strategies, and making archers ignore armor is just a way to make any enemy option useless.

About the stone shelter it is the only tower that can nothing against flying units and it is a piece of cake to take down with any ranged siege, like elves and human have.

Also orc desperately needed a strong defensive option since they need a lot of turns to build up their strenght.
Orcs are not designed to be fast attackers, since they are slower than elves, their units generally die before landing a single hit, and they need many turns of upgrades to be effective.
Their best units cost a lot and are often good mainly after some upgrades. They needed defense to have a chance of developing to full strenght.

Try a 20x20 map and you'll discover that orc will have no chance to use their main options.

If you pretend to win by just making archers i can't agree with you, since no race should win by just making a unit type.
Age of Fantasy design leader
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

It took me a while to read it but yes I agree with alexander
Epic Gamer Moment!
enrich

Post by enrich »

I mean....i specifically wraked my brain to make sure that he skill is not spamable but still a better tech than nature call.
If it costs 8 turns to research, only elf wizards can use it, it only lasts for the turn it is used and has a 3 turn cooldown....its designed to be a late game tech much like orc kings and ettins. And mind you, this still wouldnt make it a win condition for elfs since sometimes summoning an ent would be better strategically, in order to sponge a few attacks and slow down the orcs, it just gives it one more strategic option.
MightyGuy

Post by MightyGuy »

ok, your idea should be nice just need to fix and become useful! :)

Return to “Elf Technologies”