elf blacksmithing - IMPLEMENTED

Ness

elf blacksmithing - IMPLEMENTED

Post by Ness »

I think at elves should have blacksmith with some differents to human black smith.

Blacksmith techs

Armour lvl 1 (gives +1/1 armour for swordsman, warrior and unicorn rider)
Archer armour lvl1 (gives +1/1 armour for archer units)
Sword mastery lvl1 (+1 power for swordsman, warrior and unicorn rider)
Sword mastery lvl2 (+1 power)
Sword mastery lvl3 (+1 power)
Master archery lvl1 (+1 power and +1 range for archers)
Master archery lvl2 (+1 power)
Master archery lvl3 (+1 power and +1 range)

Research times

lvl1 4 turns
lvl2 7 turns
lvl3 10 turns
Sunrise Samurai

Re: elf blacksmithing

Post by Sunrise Samurai »

I agree on this topic, though I think orcs and undead need their own versions too. As it is, human upgrades can give them better archers than elves, and better swordsmen than orcs. I do imagine this will be provided during the natural progression of aof to its own game.
The glorious sun rises again
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Why don't "mithril arrows"
they don't deal more damage but can bypass piearce armor (at least patially)

Elves are strong but they really suffer against undeads, so that could help a bit
Age of Fantasy design leader
Sunrise Samurai

A good level to playtest elves getting the human blacksmithing system is in the LOTR campaign, Helm's Deep, where you are given a slew of elf units and playing as humans and can build a blacksmith. Just adding 2 range and power to the archers drastically increases the damage output of all types of elf archers, though the effectiveness doubles with quick archers and triples with Legolas. Human poison archers give a good idea of what the increased range can do for fire archers, which aren't given structures or undead to burn, and dryads, which are not present. The added range drastically increases the chance of safely applying burning or poison to more targets, which I suspect will be a good way to make dryads very irritating, being too fast to catch and having an even longer range with more chance to poison a healthy unit.
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

I agree that elves should have upgrades as well, but that's just because I like upgrading things.

I think human archers aren't that much better than elves after their upgrades, but it doesn't really make sense considering each race has their own niche. I think though,that a blacksmith wouldn't make a lot of sense just looking at the art style of the elves; I think a building titled "Dojo" or something similar might make more sense (and each upgrade would do the same thing as the blacksmiths upgrades). Just my thoughts.

Also, is there a program anyone could recommend (or a tutorial) someone could recommend for drawing sprite/pixelated units like this? Id love to submit my own ideas! If I get any good at it, that is.
COOLguy

Post by COOLguy »

The Pendulum wrote: Also, is there a program anyone could recommend (or a tutorial) someone could recommend for drawing sprite/pixelated units like this? Id love to submit my own ideas! If I get any good at it, that is.
There is a topic discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=525

Daniel and I use GIMP2 ( http://www.gimp.org/ ) as a pixel editor. They have a quick help online and also a user manual. It is pretty easy to learn the software interface after a bit - I would recommend just messing around on it to figure it all out, as many functions are similar to programs like Paint.

Yes it is awesome to see your creations in the game! We can always use more image designers, too! Check around the forum (especially the main FAQ) to see tips that others have posted as well as (for sure) the image requirement topic here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=592
Thanks!
Josh
The Pendulum

Post by The Pendulum »

COOLguy wrote:
The Pendulum wrote: Also, is there a program anyone could recommend (or a tutorial) someone could recommend for drawing sprite/pixelated units like this? Id love to submit my own ideas! If I get any good at it, that is.
There is a topic discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=525

Daniel and I use GIMP2 ( http://www.gimp.org/ ) as a pixel editor. They have a quick help online and also a user manual. It is pretty easy to learn after a bit - I would recommend messing around on it to figure it all out as many functions are similar to programs like Paint.

Yes it is awesome to see your creations in the game! We can always use more image designers, too! Check around the forum (especially the main FAQ) to see tips that others have posted as well as (for sure) the image requirement topic here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=592
Awesome! Thanks! I'll check that out right now!
Sunrise Samurai

The Pendulum wrote:I agree that elves should have upgrades as well, but that's just because I like upgrading things.

I think human archers aren't that much better than elves after their upgrades, but it doesn't really make sense considering each race has their own niche. I think though,that a blacksmith wouldn't make a lot of sense just looking at the art style of the elves; I think a building titled "Dojo" or something similar might make more sense (and each upgrade would do the same thing as the blacksmiths upgrades). Just my thoughts.
First, I too enjoy upgrades. The feeling of progress is nice as weak units turn strong.

Second, you say that the upgraded units aren't that much better, but a fully upgraded crossbow archer is cheaper, longer ranged, more durable, and has about the same damage output as a quick archer. Poison archers are cheaper and longer ranged, though slower than dryads as well. Though you admit this still defeats the elf niche as the best archers so I'm not sure I need to detail just how much stronger it makes them lol.

Third, dojo sounds like an awesome name for the building.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I think that, aside from special effects, elves shouldn't receive plain damage/range bonuses
They are already very good in theyr specialty but they might enjoy some bonus that might be situational, like blunt arrows to fight against undeads or something like that
Also, from a background point of view, elves are an ancient race and they have already developed theyr tech to his climax, so i also wouldn't see the plot reason for that kind of improvement.
Building a structure or a factory to use something for a specific reason would get more sense.
Anyway for balance reason i think we should think of something different thanhumans
Sunrise Samurai

Actually it is for balance reasons this is being brought up. As I mentioned before, a fully upgraded crossbow archer is longer ranged and cheaper than a quick archer for less cost. Also, technology never stops improving, and the idea earlier presented was to show it as training in a dojo. This is not to mention that cloning the existing upgrade system is much easier to code.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Remember that we are in a fantasy world... elves don't improve their technology because they have an ancient and developed technology in their own way.
The idea under the human race is that they might start on a worse point but they can improve with technology.

Anyway if you think that elven archers should increase their range this might happen in a different way than humans. They might research a new tech that is just a better training and not a new bow technology. I still think that their archers are pretty good anyway, they should have some better infantry
Sunrise Samurai

Very little improves in any fantasy world, but training seems the best way to explain improving anything with elves. The elves aren't the only race I wish to see an upgrade system on, I also think orcs and undead need it too.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Ok i would make this:

Building: Elven craftsman (unlock with gems). This building gives the following techs (no need for gems to unlock)

Elven bowcraft lv 1
cost 4
+1 damage and +1 range for all elf archers

Elven bowcraft lv 2
cost 6

Elven bowcraft lv 3
cost 8

Elven weaponsmithing level 1
cost 4
+1 Damage to all melee elf units

Elven weaponsmithing level 2
cost 6
+1 Damage to all melee ef units

Elven weaponsmithing level 3
cost 8
+1 Damage to all melee ef units

Elven armorsmithing level 1
cost 4
+1 armor to all elves

Elven armorsmithing level 2
cost 6
+1 pierce armor to all elves

Elven armorsmithing level 3
cost 8
+1 armor and +1 pierce armor to all elves

That should solve the elf units gap for long games (an still make the elven archers the best in the long run)
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Images bow
Attachments
Bow level 3.png
Bow level 3.png (21.25 KiB) Viewed 8286 times
Bow level 2.png
Bow level 2.png (21.15 KiB) Viewed 8286 times
Bow level 1.png
Bow level 1.png (21.03 KiB) Viewed 8286 times
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

images weapons
Attachments
Weapons 3.png
Weapons 3.png (20.72 KiB) Viewed 8285 times
Weapons 2.png
Weapons 2.png (20.73 KiB) Viewed 8285 times
Weapons 1.png
Weapons 1.png (20.21 KiB) Viewed 8286 times
MightyGuy

Post by MightyGuy »

nice images and stats! very nice! ★★★
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

This techs add range... Sounds op.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

human techs bring archers range to 8 for the upgraded archer. I think that elves that have in their concept to be the best ranged and the worst melee should at least reach a +1 range.

Instead of making archers upgrade we upgrade them with techs to have range 9

We ony need to add some decent anti archers to undeads since they are the only race that lack that kind of unit (humans have skirmishers and siege weapons, orcs now have the headhunter, elves have no need for that if their archers improve, and undeads definitely need one)
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

armor images
Attachments
Armor 3.png
Armor 3.png (21.4 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
Armor 2.png
Armor 2.png (21.57 KiB) Viewed 8277 times
Armor 1.png
Armor 1.png (20.11 KiB) Viewed 8277 times
Midonik

Post by Midonik »

Undeds got higer priece and good cavalery. Not sure they need anti-archer.
Support new AoS variant, Age of Galaxy: http://ageofstrategy.net/viewforum.php? ... 608408ebc8
All help will be welcome.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

I think so Archers are always strong when they have a high range (cause you can concentrate the fire of your units on a single target with more ease) but the real strength is when they can hit you without the fear of you hitting back.

I experimented with orcs giants (high pierce, hp and 50% waterwalking) that they can easily keep at bay any enemy if they have some water in the middle, even tough they can deal a single damage each.

Having a high pierce helps but it is not enough if you have no effective way to reach and kill them. That is why you need units with a decent rage that can dispose of enemy archers.
MightyGuy

Post by MightyGuy »

i really need this tech to implement, i can't really fight with my elves archers against orcs & undeads. remember Orcs & other Races have techs also.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

That's why i made it

What elves needs are counter units and upgrades.
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

Thi is the building. I am not expert in making elven units so i'd like to have your opinion on that one
Attachments
Elven Craftsman.png
Elven Craftsman.png (21.12 KiB) Viewed 8250 times
Constantin

Post by Constantin »

Very good work, Alexander! Good arts. :) Now i know behind what i vote.
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

Looks primitive, It looks like it came from the Bronze age.
Epic Gamer Moment!
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

The idea was that wood elves makes buildings merged with nature. This one is a furnace tied to a house made in a tree trunk. What if i add a tree foliage on top?
Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 »

like this
Attachments
Elven Craftsman treetop.png
Elven Craftsman treetop.png (21.69 KiB) Viewed 8242 times
MightyGuy

Post by MightyGuy »